Author Topic: Vr vs track ir  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Vr vs track ir
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 08:08:17 PM »
Like everything there is a bit of a learning curve. With TIR, for me at least, it was with two things. Setting up the software and then actually using it. Took a while to stop using the hats but once those training wheels were off using TIR became second nature. So much so that I found myself moving my head to change views when watching other's videos! Never thought I'd use anything else before I started on VR last year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »
This thread is very interesting. Thanks for all the comments in here!

When I switched from hat switches to the TIR some years back, I was blown away by how easy it was, and how immersive. But only in the full implementations, as here in AH. Some games, all you got was rotation around a point, without the translation along the axes. I really need that so I can peer around the frames in a 109 or a Hurri!  ;)

I now have a Rift S on order, and I'm really looking forward to using it.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 06:26:09 AM »
Be prepared to be blown away again the first time you try AH3 in VR.

What is lost in resolution is more than made up for in immersion.

Added bonus your accuracy will improve a bunch.

Your VR like your TIR experience will be the best in here than any other combat flight sim on the market today.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
I would like to try VR but wondering if it would work with a one eye dominent  person with very poor vision in the weak eye.

If any of you know about that I would love to hear from you. I use TrackIR now and would like to try the VR but wonder if I would just be blowing money away.     

Thanks...Bix.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »
I would like to try VR but wondering if it would work with a one eye dominent  person with very poor vision in the weak eye.

If any of you know about that I would love to hear from you. I use TrackIR now and would like to try the VR but wonder if I would just be blowing money away.     

Thanks...Bix.

Your best bet would be to go to someplace they sell them and try a demo. I heard one person say they even got the sale person to load up AH seeing it is a free download. That or try a friends.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 09:15:44 PM »

Thanks...Bix.

Yes, I have a very dominant left eye to the point I have non-binocular vision. I got prescription lenses for my Rift as well (from that Polish company, WIDMOvr).

Oddly I get a binocular effect when using the headset, I don't know why. So IRL my vision is 2D, in VR it is 3D.

Here's my prescription so you can compare:
SPH R: +2.75
SPH L: +1.75
CYL R: -0.50
CYL L: 0.00
AXS R: 130
AXS L: 0
PD: 64
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:18:49 PM by Vulcan »

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 10:08:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply Vulcan.

Left eye dominent with me also. From birth. Had 4 eye surgeries before the age of 4. Was ok for vision growing up. I could hit a fast ball or curve ball, drive a car and get a PPL even despite my 2d vision.

A handicap for sure but we all have them. I will have to figure out your info and bring it up at my next appt. with my eye doctor.   I hope I can give the VR thing a try. Everyone seems to think it is awesome.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 01:56:35 AM »
RE: virtual reality...

With Track IR, I find myself constantly struggling to find the gunsight again after moving around and craning to follow contacts... having to get just the perfect position for the pipper to show up. Does VR have the same issues?  Do you find yourself having to move yourself back into position for those crucial moments?  I love track IR for being able to move around the cockpit and easily track bogeys.... I simply always have an issue with quick snapshots in the gunsight, where a quarter second makes all the difference.

Cheers,
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »
RE: virtual reality...

With Track IR, I find myself constantly struggling to find the gunsight again after moving around and craning to follow contacts... having to get just the perfect position for the pipper to show up. Does VR have the same issues?  Do you find yourself having to move yourself back into position for those crucial moments?  I love track IR for being able to move around the cockpit and easily track bogeys.... I simply always have an issue with quick snapshots in the gunsight, where a quarter second makes all the difference.

Cheers,

Dont you have a button on your jstick setup to center your view?

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2020, 07:38:41 AM »
Been my experience they both have that hard to call it a problem. You're gonna start at a known centered head position,right? But as you're looking around you're gonna shift your head position ever so slightly for whatever reason. So when you return to looking straight ahead you might not be in the exact same posture and position as when you started. It's natural as you are not a machine! The machine remembers where you started and your ain't there anymore. Only way around it is to map a re-center key to your stick and hit that when you feel you're looking all akilter thru the sight. That'll get you looking straight again.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »
Dont you have a button on your jstick setup to center your view?

Eagler

Yes, but then Track Ir instantly takes back over from the game and moves my in-game head position again.  Unless I slave a button that can easily stay depressed the whole time?
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »
No, it puts you back to your in game centered head position. It's just a momentary button press. Your head is close to where it should be but not exactly right. Click. Centered. Done.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »
Yes, but then Track Ir instantly takes back over from the game and moves my in-game head position again.  Unless I slave a button that can easily stay depressed the whole time?

Are you talking about mapped to the Home key function or the Center tracker function (Ctrl F4)

HiTech

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2020, 06:50:18 AM »
Might be your TIR profile

Might try a different deadzone to make the center less sensitive

VR is more controllable for aiming than I had found TIR to be but in either case you have to have a recenter view button

Eagler

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »
Right Eagler but VR is a non-adjustable 1:1 ratio of movement with no deadband at all. Heck for flight sims or any other seated game I wish there was a way to be able to tweak things like in TIR if only to make it easier on the neck! Yes I know you can still use the hats in AH but it'd save you the trouble. At any rate it's not a deadband issue it's just a product of moving around as you naturally will. Your body isn't gonna be exactly where it was when you started so that's why you have to recenter periodically. Part of the deal.

Oh and Moray, TIR doesn't take over from the game at any point. The game is using TIR as the view system. Now if you're moving your head around when you should be firing and that's messing with you the solution to that would be to map a second key to pause tracking. In that case it would be saddle up, click center, click pause, fire, click pause again to go back to looking around. I rarely did that and just got used to TIR. It takes a while.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"