Author Topic: Vr vs track ir  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Re: Vr vs track ir
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
 I haven't had much of a problem with re centering on the gun sight using my Rift S, even during a real good dog fight while twisting my head every direction imaginable I usually come right back to the sight. At most I may do a lil head bob this way or that but I don't even notice for the most part.
  I usually only have to hit the recenter button when I first jump into a plane or if I get up to do something and sit back down and then my head position might be a lil off because I'm seated a little higher or slumping more than when I got up.

I used TIR for a bit back in AH-2 and VR works so much better for me in pretty much every way. But its all personal preference in the end I suppose. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »
Agreed after using the RiftS for about a year now I'm not using the center button nearly as often as I did with TIR or maybe it's become so second nature I don't even notice I'm doing it anymore. I wonder if it has to do with the tracking methods? TIR having a single camera looking at the LED clip on my headset vs the RiftS with 5 cameras on the headset looking out at things around me and their positions relative my head movements. You'd have to guess the RiftS is more accurate right? Either way, in order to be exactly centered to where you are after hitting the recenter button you'd again have to get your head oriented EXACTLY where that point was in order to match that point EXACTLY. We're only human man! Things get shifted every so slightly and there you are. Just recenter and move on. Really a non issue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline JoeCool

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2020, 06:39:12 PM »
Just received my TrackIR a few weeks ago. I have the same issue with, after following con, the gun site is not centered again looking forward. I think it is probably in the profile. I just need to play around with it more and figure out a dead zone maybe since I don't have any and really only have yaw and pitch settings so far. I do like the ability to just look around and follow a con but then once saddled up the site seems to have lowered/raised or is off so I center and it seems to make it worse by getting closer to the dash. Just doesn't seem as accurate as without it.

Does the pause not let the trackir work and take you back to flying without it for a while?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2020, 07:10:45 PM »
No. Pause tracking does just that. It literally stops tracking and that's worse. Just be done with it, map a center button and if it's too far off for your liking press it and move on. Easy peezy. You guys are over thinking this. Seriously.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »
I actually ordered the "poor mans TrackIR" version, i.e DelanClip Gamer package the other day even tough i have an OG HTC Vive available aswell.

Reasons i probably will be using TrackIR over my VR headset is :

- I have glasses, i found it to be an hassle to use with VR, sure there is always ways around it with contact lenses or lens inserts directly in to the headsets aswell, but..
- There is alot of downtime in flightsims, its nice to be able to check Discord, Youtube, news or just browsing the web on the 2nd monitor while killing time.
- I cant see myself being able to use VR with flightsims for longer periods of time, like extended gaming sessions that are like 3-4 hours long. I think it would be too straining, tho hot
  and condensed and i think i would be fatiuged after a couple of hours of use at most.
- I might also try to stream some gaming sessions in the future, and that means keeping track of Stream Chat and more.
- Being able to see all my buttons on the Hotas/Joystick, and my keyboard Mouse, my TV, my phone, my drink and much more is worth alot aswell.

But yes immersion wise VR is the way to go, but it might not be the ultimate solution for me just now. I think i will value comfort and the multitasking capability for some time yet. I might change my mind in the future when better VR headsets are available for an better price.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:22:27 AM by Maniac »
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Yes if you are going to be flying for half a day then the VR headset might be a comfort issue lol

Other than that there is no comparison with realism and accuracy vr gives over track ir

I use a center button on my warthog jstick for both vr and track ir...can't imagine trying to lineup and aim without it

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2020, 10:57:25 AM »
The Rift S has a padded halo head strap. It has a ratchet adjuster in the back that works not unlike a construction hard hat. It's very well balanced and I don't have any issues wearing it for long periods. That said I did add a nice pad set for it from AMVR that's even more comfy and easily washable. The original foam will get icky after a while.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
for all of you having problems with trakir, i believe fugitive has several profiles, including mine. i know several players that use mine and say it's the easiest to use. also you need to set up a button to pause and center, i have mine on the throttle, well two buttons. i keep track ir paused most of the time, only use it while in combat.

while let's say dive bombing, i pause it and just use my thumb to hit the hat views, it will center it.

i use track ir for fighters, bombers or tanks use hat views.

and yeah eventually I'll use vr, just need to upgrade my computer.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JoeCool

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
i keep track ir paused most of the time, only use it while in combat.
i pause it and just use my thumb to hit the hat views, it will center it.

exactly what I was looking for info wise semp thanks. I finally imported a profile and it seems to work well for me. Tested it last night and did ok with it. I just need to make a few changes but so much closer and the site isn't moving all over the place now after centering.

:salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »
pm your email, can't send profile but i can send picture of mine, no bounce when it's on and centered.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline JoeCool

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
Thanks but I've got it working. I just needed to add some deadzone to the yaw and pitch so it doesn't bounce around.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2023, 09:21:16 AM »
First, I deeply apologize from those who get insulted by lifting an old topic, but didn't find better with search and not willing to add one more, as there are already some.

I'd like to hear experiences with different head tracking systems, used in AH. Been considering to have one, and in my case VR is not an option. So, you flying with some head track system, tell me what system you use and some experience related opinions. Thanks.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »
Hat views work well but tracking views are more natural. TrackIR was rightly popular before VR. It allows you to scale the response so you can look straight back with a slight turn of your head.

Regarding old threads, if the old thread doesn't answer your question it's better to make a new post. People might mention that because it's a forum rule.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2023, 11:05:05 AM »
Hat views work well but tracking views are more natural. TrackIR was rightly popular before VR. It allows you to scale the response so you can look straight back with a slight turn of your head.

Regarding old threads, if the old thread doesn't answer your question it's better to make a new post. People might mention that because it's a forum rule.

Okay. Didn't see that in Forum Postin Rules and understood this totally vice versa:  3- Do not open a new thread that duplicates a current topic.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2023, 11:18:59 AM »
Okay. Didn't see that in Forum Postin Rules and understood this totally vice versa:  3- Do not open a new thread that duplicates a current topic.

Search function here isn’t all that great. If it’s a years old thread than it’s cool.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!