Author Topic: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer  (Read 12953 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
It seems like a lot to go through just to have a few quick fights...especially when there was an arena that pretty much everyone was accustomed to.

What Purdue was describing was not a simple matter in the old setup. Now all things are given such as starting alt, all enter same speed.

All you have to do is choose your country and select the 4x4 queue when 4 of each country have selected the queue you will spawn.

Ive seen people say it was not being used because the AI was to difficult.
I lowered the difficulty.
I saw people say it wasn't being used because the AI flew bombers and such.
I changed it to be configurable which planes the AI fly.

The match play was at the request of players to create a quick action arena.

In this discussion every one forgets that the old dueling arena was not being used when I made the change to match play.

HiTech

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
In this discussion every one forgets that the old dueling arena was not being used when I made the change to match play.

HiTech

From the players I had contact with that had more to do with the declining numbers at the end of AH2 and the knowledge that many of those players didn't have equipment at the time up to running AH3. Not the arena itself. It was quite well populated for a very long time.

Match Play is better for some things. A non-scoring playpen is sorely missed I think in the present disposition of AH's arenas.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
It seems like a lot to go through just to have a few quick fights...especially when there was an arena that pretty much everyone was accustomed to.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of choose map, create arena, invite buddies?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
Wouldn't it just be a matter of choose map, create arena, invite buddies?

Wiley.

If you wanted to get a little fancier, you could have some custom Staged Missions to combine with your Custom Arena that would allow the Host to populate his friends into the mission slots. 

The advantage is that the mission could air-spawn all the players at a designed alt, speed, direction, and plane choice, all at once. And restart again easily when desired.  No one but the Host has to do anything.  The Host would run the show.

Hmmm in fact as a quick test, if you could find 8 players, you could try it with one of the 4x4 missions/terrains I created.  Those are dissimilar aircraft, but others could easily be made to order with all same AC.  Also 2v2 or 1v1.  No AI need be involved if you fill all slots.

Refer to : https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,397942.0.html to see how you would setup and run that.

$0.02.

[edit]
Just tried it, but the downside currently is that once you've killed the mission it unloads, you have to reload/populate it again.
Now if Hitech just added a "Replay" button instead of "Kill" that would reset everything back to the start with all the same settings and population assignment it would be perfect.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:03:30 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »
Before you know it there may be no motivation for a paid account, at all.  :headscratch:

(Free arenas should never be designed to scratch all itches or cure all b*tches.)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
Before you know it there may be no motivation for a paid account, at all.  :headscratch:

(Free arenas should never be designed to scratch all itches or cure all b*tches.)

Working out better user experiences and optimizing workflows is a separate question from whether or how much you charge for it.  They can be considered independently.

Spikes and Perdue are paying customers, I assume, and also expressed an interest about how to efficiently setup controlled XxX private team duels. 

How you might can improve that experience is a valid thing to consider.

Also, the old Furball Lake always seemed to have action back when I saw it and I suspect a lot of those were still paying accounts that just wanted quick mindless action.

Also a valid thing to consider and discuss. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »
Well, noting this timer thread morphed into a dueling thread, Shida comes back to the forums to request free stuff being fixed to his liking from time to time. I got little regard for freeloaders pretending to be interested in 'improvements for the sake of the community.'

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2020, 11:49:20 AM »
Well, noting this timer thread morphed into a dueling thread, Shida comes back to the forums to request free stuff being fixed to his liking from time to time. I got little regard for freeloaders pretending to be interested in 'improvements for the sake of the community.'

I think you are overly obsessed with NRShida.  Hitech is perfectly capable of discerning what is in the overall community interest vs what would only serve Shida. 

It's been my experience, in creative endeavors, discussions need to be allowed some room to drift a bit.  You never know what a little brain-storming might turn up if you allow it a little room to wander.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
I think you are overly obsessed with NRShida.

Don't confuse 'not fooled by' with 'obsession.'  ;)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »

I certainly have not suggested the DA be a free arena.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »

There is no DA.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
Custom arena?

Wiley.

True, just takes a few minutes to get that setup and many players do not know how to do that.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2020, 02:57:12 PM »

If you wanted to get a little fancier, you could have some custom Staged Missions to combine with your Custom Arena that would allow the Host to populate his friends into the mission slots. 

The advantage is that the mission could air-spawn all the players at a designed alt, speed, direction, and plane choice, all at once. And restart again easily when desired.  No one but the Host has to do anything.  The Host would run the show.

Hmmm in fact as a quick test, if you could find 8 players, you could try it with one of the 4x4 missions/terrains I created.  Those are dissimilar aircraft, but others could easily be made to order with all same AC.  Also 2v2 or 1v1.  No AI need be involved if you fill all slots.

Refer to : https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,397942.0.html to see how you would setup and run that.

$0.02.

[edit]
Just tried it, but the downside currently is that once you've killed the mission it unloads, you have to reload/populate it again.
Now if Hitech just added a "Replay" button instead of "Kill" that would reset everything back to the start with all the same settings and population assignment it would be perfect.  ;)

I've often wondered why with all the people who seem to want a quick action arena why someone hasn't set up one with some appropriate airstarts on a map that has an island in the middle and used it to furball/XvX or whatever.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2020, 03:04:24 PM »

Match play has been free for a long time. Any arena you see with out a $ in front is free.

HiTech

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
I've often wondered why with all the people who seem to want a quick action arena why someone hasn't set up one with some appropriate airstarts on a map that has an island in the middle and used it to furball/XvX or whatever.

Wiley.
Not that arena setup is too difficult, but it does require some work to be able to set something like that up on a whim. Also that person has to be online in order for the arena to be up. Not to mention it isn't on the 'front page' of the arena list so whoever the host is would have to advertise it quite a bit.

I think Match Play is a nice idea, but lacks the 'free for all' aspect that the DA lake brought. I'd be curious to see how a simple DA lake/fighter town map with 3 bases would do. I feel like it would be a bit more relaxed than match play and might give newer players a better opportunity to explore the game and flight model a bit more than 'instanced' fighting.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com