Author Topic: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer  (Read 12706 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »
Didn't Hitech once mention he would watch things to determine if 3 hours would be possible?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
Here is a practical example:

Log on at 11 AM, around 50 players online: 19 Knights, 11 Bishops, 20 Rooks. I switch to Bishops to help numbers and fly for about an hour or so. At 3 PM, I log in again and see that the Knights are now the lowest side. But, I cannot switch until 5 PM. Once I switch at 5 PM, everything is fine until the late crew shows up at 8-9 which shuffles the numbers yet again. I cannot switch again until 11 PM and it is doubtful that I would switch then because it is bedtime.

If the switch time 3 hours, this would not be a problem.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
Switched to the low number Knights at 10:30 when the numbers were about 60-45-60, now at 11:30 the Knights are no longer low numbers and we're stuck here for 5 hours. Woo!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 10:39:12 PM »

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2020, 01:07:18 AM »
Switched to the low number Knights at 10:30 when the numbers were about 60-45-60, now at 11:30 the Knights are no longer low numbers and we're stuck here for 5 hours. Woo!

And there were very little fights for us. One in particular was okay, but then bombers sank the boat and gg.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 02:10:18 AM »
Hey Hitech,   ^^^ this is the sort of conversation that has gone on for a number of years now.  Side imbalance, no fights, hoard or be hoarded.  Perhaps, just maybe, the conditions that existed when you implemented various rules, conditions and game mechanics do not fit the current conditions.  The lack of decent combat adventure is what finally drove me away, and others I know have cited it as a contributor.  I think it may be time to revisit some of the things currently in place and consider if they now help or hinder.

We know this is not without precedence as you have reinstated a text message spam from years ago so we know you are willing to reinstate prior conditions.  What confuses me is that change was greeted with almost universal derision yet you persevered with it.  Perhaps time to reconsider some of the other mechanics?

Hey Shuffler, before you dive in, take a shot then run away, I may not be currently playing the game but the exact conditions that these guys are complaining about was a factor in me not playing.  Changing sides to chase the fight only to have it move or disappear on me left me with 2 options.  Do something which bored me, like jabo, buff or GV against undefended towns (and let's admit it, with no fight eventuating from these actions it is simply stat padding) or leave.  Guess which option many of us took!

ohhhhhh, I know, if you jabo, buff and GV for long enough the defenders will come I hear you cry.  Well, sorry, they do not come in the form of fighters.  They come in the form of manned guns and GVs.  Woooohooooo  the more I 'provoke' the enemy the more it promotes the very behaviour that makes me want to leave.

I have highlighted the fact this is a personal post about my preferences and my reasons for checking in on the game but not flying.  This is done in the hope that responders will not try to convince me that bombing undefended towns or strats is of any use at all other than to increase stats and make people look good to their boyfriends.   :noid

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2020, 07:23:02 AM »
Hey fess.... I am still here in game.... I did not run away.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2020, 03:24:00 AM »
Hey fess.... I am still here in game.... I did not run away.

You must be the only one huh?  My experience towards the end was:

• 95% fighters hit and run
  • 99% of GVs hide.  This IMO is an issue, no matter how hard you look they are invisible.

I believe there is a free arena we could meet up and swap spit for a while if that is your thing but, again my experience is, most players were willing to mouth off but never front up.  Again we expose one of the micro reasons the 'fighters' left.  The 'pickers' would pick, crow about how good they were but when challenged would never front up.  Which camp do you fall into?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2020, 09:04:47 AM »
Of all the threads since I've been here about changing the side switch timer, this one looks like it will be the one that succeeds!

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »
+1 for a switch to 3 hours...
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2020, 03:27:14 AM »
no you wont.  then it will be asking for 2 hours, then 1 hour, then 5 minutes.

semp

Who cares.

This is the situation. Now I am scared of switching sides. It ruined nights for me before. Thinking hey I wanna help out the bish and the next moment they out number the rooks and the Knights by 30. And yet again I am flying aimlessly inside the horde. Squadies reaching out to me "Dutch we are Knits this week!!". It's giving me real Aces High PTSD.

1 hour timers are to short, but 6 is very excessive. I can't think of another modern game that does this.

Edit: I have another example. So I switch sides to one of the other countries because according to the darbar there is a good fight going on. Only to realize I have chosen the wrong side to fly on because this team is completely overwhelming the other team.

I am not angry, just a bit frustrated because I think this could be easily avoided.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:51:53 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Yet another example:

This happened last night. I log in when about 140 players are on. I have two squaddies on Knights, one of which switched 2 hour prior. So, with no hesitation I switch to Knights. Now, 2 of us are stuck here for 4 and 6 hours. We have a good sortie or two, then the fights die. The Rooks and Bish are going at it, leaving Knights with no one to shoot at. Three hours would not have completely solved this problem, however, I may have hesitated switching immediately because my squadmate could switch in an hour.

Please reduce side switch timer. It is difficult to justify at such low numbers and such high percentage swings in the MA.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2020, 12:49:56 PM »
Switching sides now is just a punishment.  I don't know why this is set in stone.
1 hour is plenty enough time. (still overkill)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2020, 01:32:13 PM »
Who cares.

This is the situation. Now I am scared of switching sides. It ruined nights for me before. Thinking hey I wanna help out the bish and the next moment they out number the rooks and the Knights by 30. And yet again I am flying aimlessly inside the horde. Squadies reaching out to me "Dutch we are Knits this week!!". It's giving me real Aces High PTSD.

1 hour timers are to short, but 6 is very excessive. I can't think of another modern game that does this.

Edit: I have another example. So I switch sides to one of the other countries because according to the darbar there is a good fight going on. Only to realize I have chosen the wrong side to fly on because this team is completely overwhelming the other team.

I am not angry, just a bit frustrated because I think this could be easily avoided.

I had made a wish last year to make the enemy dars two different colors to be able to determine who was winning the fights. Sometimes you can tell by flashing bases, but that's about it.

Sometimes switching to the low #s side is a bad idea because they are either winning their fight or there is no fight at all. (BowlMA) is a great example.

Maps like BowlMA are the worst during low hours. Far flights for very little action.

I pretty much agree with Fess for the most part. There are a lot of fighter jocks who have left because air combat has been degraded with long travel times to fights, too spread out of maps that scatter players all over, and easy mode planes that are hard to kill and get 3000 more kills and a better K/D than the average plane. Flying to a base to Jabo does get old when it takes 7-10 minutes twittling your thumbs to get to the base only to die on the first pass from an ack gun manned or not.

There is no way that anyone could cheat any differently with a 3 hour time switch compared to 6. I have been stuck on the boring side many times and have to log due to boredom.

The majority of people who try AH really want fighter action and when it goes stale they log off when they cannot find the action. I find only long time players and super new guys are interested in Jaboing by themselves.

I think a 3 hour switch time would increase the ability to find fights, which would increase the playability of the game for more people, keeping them logged in, rather than logging off.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
I had made a wish last year to make the enemy dars two different colors to be able to determine who was winning the fights. Sometimes you can tell by flashing bases, but that's about it.

Sometimes switching to the low #s side is a bad idea because they are either winning their fight or there is no fight at all. (BowlMA) is a great example.

Maps like BowlMA are the worst during low hours. Far flights for very little action.

I pretty much agree with Fess for the most part. There are a lot of fighter jocks who have left because air combat has been degraded with long travel times to fights, too spread out of maps that scatter players all over, and easy mode planes that are hard to kill and get 3000 more kills and a better K/D than the average plane. Flying to a base to Jabo does get old when it takes 7-10 minutes twittling your thumbs to get to the base only to die on the first pass from an ack gun manned or not.

There is no way that anyone could cheat any differently with a 3 hour time switch compared to 6. I have been stuck on the boring side many times and have to log due to boredom.

The majority of people who try AH really want fighter action and when it goes stale they log off when they cannot find the action. I find only long time players and super new guys are interested in Jaboing by themselves.

I think a 3 hour switch time would increase the ability to find fights, which would increase the playability of the game for more people, keeping them logged in, rather than logging off.

If you're going to stick around for 3 hours waiting for side change, you might as well stay for 12.
Most people will log off by then anyways.

Coogan

Game Id's: