Author Topic: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer  (Read 12873 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2020, 03:38:54 PM »
If you're going to stick around for 3 hours waiting for side change, you might as well stay for 12.
Most people will log off by then anyways.

Coogan

Yeah...I tend to log off and do something else, if I happen to think about it again I'll log back in and check.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
3 hrs is too long. I sw from rook to knit for trevors MA strat run only to find for whatever reason the boys arent there. Well I just shutdown because Im not waiting to switch back for 3 hrs. So I have a game that Im paying for that I cant use the way Ive been doing for years.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2020, 04:40:28 PM »
Even if you check back in and there is a fight, it may only last 30 minutes and the numbers (100) can drop to 70 in that time making your side either 25 ENY (and you can't switch) or there is nothing to do except blow up buildings and take undefended fields. At either of those two points, I am logging off to play something else even though I want to furball in the MA.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »
In EU timezone, if youre stuck on the high numbers side, there is literally nothing to shoot at.
And with numbers like 15-25-12, things change way more often that 6 hours.

Wrote this down in another thread some days ago, what ever. Hitech, i know im just an EU luftweenie, but i guess you need customers more than ever, and the EU crew is nearly all gone.
It might have a reason.
Just saying.
AoM
City of ice

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
The six hour timer worked much better than twelve when there were more people on. With such low numbers, fights come and go in an instant. If a few players log on or off, the numbers change drastically. Let's critique the timer from a different perspective.

ENY, as we know, is a side balancing mechanic that gets a bad wrap. I am not here to defend or attack ENY, but to use its status as a baseline for side switching. ENY kicks in above about 36% of the population. In the MA, as I am typing this, the Rooks have 28 of 74 total pilots and an ENY of 1.8. A Bishop logged off and the ENY went to 3.7 and another Bishop logged making it 6.2. Then, a few seconds after that a Rook logged on and the ENY went up to 8.1 and now the Knights have ENY of 1.1. In a matter of 75 seconds, we went from Rooks having 28 of 74 to the Rooks having 29 of 73 yet ENY went from 1.7 to 8.1. The numbers at this point were 18-26-29.

Why am I telling you this? The point of ENY is to balance the arena. One way is to limit the aircraft that you fly so that a side may not have the most people and still fly LA's and Spit 16's. Another option available to us to balance the arena is to switch sides. If I wanted to join the lowest side right now and avoid the ENY of Rooks, I would go to the Bishops. But, the Rooks only outnumber the Bishops by 10. That number can and will be reduced in a matter of hours when the night crew and prime time kicks in. But guess what? I am stuck here on Bishops until 1:30 AM. So, if at 10 PM ET the low side is not my side and the Bishops have an ENY I can do nothing to help except log off. We want to keep people logged in.

Six hours works if there are 200 people online because small fluctuations are not detrimental to arena balance. I am not advocating for or against ENY, just saying that as it currently exists, one of the two options that ENY affords us is not actually an option. It is my opinion that ENY is in place to force us to fly weaker aircraft or convince us to switch sides. Once I have switched once, I may not switch for 6 hours, yet the low side and ENY may fluctuate 10 times in that amount of time. Perhaps changing the time is not the best answer. Maybe we should allow folks to switch to the low side at any time if the side they are on has an ENY active? In the case of the Rooks currently, if you are a Rook with an ENY of 8, you may switch to Bishops who are lowest. This would be a free switch that does not begin the timer. So when Bishops are no longer low side or have no fight a few hours from now, you may switch and that begins the timer.

I think a 3 hour side switch time is justified in today's MA (or the idea aforementioned). Consider the low population and how the ENY is easily and drastically effected by it. A shorter switch timer would alleviate this problem and it would allow ENY to work a little better and as intended. People are apprehensive about switching because of the commitment. If we had a free switch to the low side or a shorter timer, I think the country balance would improve instead of degrade.

Can we have a test of this in June? A whole month of 3 hour switch timer? Collect some data and see if the ENY machine was higher lower than in previous months. Thank you for considering, hitech.

C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 10:05:35 AM »
EU day time :noid

Notice the bish need to take 2 more bases and are rolling a fun map. The bish are ignoring the knits since they dont need them anymore. I want to help out the rooks to keep there bases cuz i like the fight and want to keep the good map in. I wont switch cuz i cant fly with my friends later 2day.

DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2020, 10:27:38 AM »
15 minutes later they took 4 bases from the rooks and it was GG. Its a dam shame cuz the map was great but there was an immense balance issue..
DutchVII / ULDutch
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
15 minutes later they took 4 bases from the rooks and it was GG. Its a dam shame cuz the map was great but there was an immense balance issue..
Was half the folks on one team posting on the BBS instead of fighting?

:D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:15 AM »

:rofl

What is the contention here?  That if the side switch timer were lower, the bish would've evened the sides out so they wouldn't get win ze war perks?  I am... skeptical.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »
I agree that it should be shorter..... but it seems to have grown roots where it is at now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2020, 11:31:04 AM »
:rofl

What is the contention here?  That if the side switch timer were lower, the bish would've evened the sides out so they wouldn't get win ze war perks?  I am... skeptical.

Wiley.

The point is that you get punished for switching sides and if you dont you better off logging.
DutchVII / ULDutch

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »

lmao
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
The point is that you get punished for switching sides and if you dont you better off logging.

And my point is, extremely few people will switch sides for numbers.  The power of chesspiece underoos V A S T L Y outweighs the side switch timer.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
And my point is, extremely few people will switch sides for numbers.  The power of chesspiece underoos V A S T L Y outweighs the side switch timer.

Wiley.

Yes some are funny that way. Still others will change sides to help make play better. Any changing is a step in the right direction.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2020, 12:50:03 PM »
Yes some are funny that way. Still others will change sides to help make play better. Any changing is a step in the right direction.

Based on what?  It was accidentally left on 1 hour for a long time a few years ago.  Side switching behavior at that time was not noticeably different from now.  Interestingly enough, the sun also did not turn black as sack cloth nor did the rivers run red as blood.

I'd love to see how many people switch sides to the low side on a regular basis.  I'd bet there are more people posting in this thread than would do it.

Wiley.

JG11