Author Topic: To all you forum flyers  (Read 4881 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: To all you forum flyers
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
How many forum only flyers do we have my guess is less then 20? Definition being the visit here on a regular basis

HiTech

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
What would it take to get you back in the game. (I mean the ones that post here but don't play)

I have to keep my game play to a minimum.  Otherwise, I'll keep hoarding the Tour #1 rankings and make other players quit.  :devil
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
I have to keep my game play to a minimum.  Otherwise, I'll keep hoarding the Tour #1 rankings and make other players quit.  :devil

I don't think anyone is taking that away from Fariz for quite a while. Dude is a machine.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 06:05:42 PM »
I don't think anyone is taking that away from Fariz for quite a while. Dude is a machine.

Who?

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 06:25:37 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I thought there were more forum flyers then 20 and I was wondering what was keeping them in the forums.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I thought there were more forum flyers then 20 and I was wondering what was keeping them in the forums.

In essence the game is still one of the best out there so we remain connected in the hope that at some point it becomes attractive enough to fly again.  Of course that will be different for each individual and there is no magic bullet.

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 08:01:24 PM »
Who?

:rofl

I heard his name is "Svaalbar"
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:11:52 PM by perdue3 »
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »

The answer to that question is very simple. Aces high is always been two parts a game and a social gathering.
almost all players will eventually be bored with the game but they have made many friends who they wish to stay in contact with.

The social part of the game I learned early on when designing warbirds.I had thought at the time that I thought I made a much better game than air warrior of course people would come over.but the designer the game wasn't the issue once people have made friends in a gaming community no matter how good another game is they don't want to leave their friends.

HiTech

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »
The answer to that question is very simple. Aces high is always been two parts a game and a social gathering.
almost all players will eventually be bored with the game but they have made many friends who they wish to stay in contact with.

Absolutely true.  And perhaps the most important aspect of this game, far more than whether DAR bar is on or off, side switch times are too long/short, or all the other criticisms.  With very rare exception, we're all friends - even though generally we've never met, and probably never will.

- oldman

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
I have played on and off for years dating back to somewhere around late 2000/early 2001. I have always liked the physics of the game. The VR experience is top notch. I have no interest in flying with a squad. I  did briefly join a squad for the first time ever last year. I confirmed it is not my thing. I prefer flying early war aircraft, especially the P-40C and small, hard fought dogfights where the combination of pilot skills/aircraft performance are balanced enough to make it fun even if I lose most of the time. But the MA rarely generates the conditions I enjoy, therefore I don't have much fun when flying in the MA. So, even though I have been subscribed for months, I rarely log on to the game. When the arenas were packed to the max with 400+ people and the strategy was much simpler, I had a little more fun, but there really isn't anything you can do to make it "better" that would magically bring me back to the main arena. I will say that I was very interested in the tour of duty concept and was very disappointed when it came to nothing after years of waiting. I would probably love the historical scenarios, but after all these years, I have never signed up for one. One thing I always looked forward to was updates. At one time, there was a meaningful update to the game every few weeks or so. Now, just minor patches. No new aircraft, no new features, no upgrades of existing aircraft. The static nature of the webpage reflects that, too. It used to be updated as frequently as the news section of the forums.

I fly almost every night with DCS World, though sometimes I fly Aerofly FS2 for its awesome VR experience, P3D, X-Plane, IL-2 Battle Over X series, and the Third Wire Strike Fighters series. It is just a matter of what type of flying I feel like doing, what type of airplane I would like to fly, and where I would like to fly it. But I have a lot more fun doing exactly what I want to do with the hour or two I have to fly. Whereas in the main arena, I am waiting for my P-40C to get to a decent altitude, transit to the airfield where the action is, and then get shot down almost instantly as I enter a furball of high, fast late war monsters, then repeating this process until I catch the right moment where the balance in numbers and aircraft types lets me actually maneuver and shoot... unless its over an enemy airfield and I get hit by flak, then its back to the runway to start the next climb/transit all over again. My experience could be much better if I flew with a squad for mutual support and training and flew a more competitive aircraft. But for me, that is even less fun than getting shot down instantly by a rear quarter bnz for not paying attention during a boring transit.

As for the forums, I generally check the forums daily. The forums are filled with people who love military aviation and air to air combat in particular. In case you haven't noticed, such people are a small minority, so I still enjoy the online community even if I don't play the game. After browsing these forums for so many years, I have watched some of my favorite posters fade away to posting little or nothing. Some just got bored, some retired, and sadly some died. Fortunately, there are still some around that post a lot of what I enjoy reading. But like the game, even the forums have slowed down over the years. There used to be tons of posts in the aircraft and vehicles section: new information on existing aircraft, suggestions for new aircraft, history, etc. Now sometimes that forum is lucky if it gets one new topic per day. The hardware forum has always been a great place to keep up with current PC flight sim tech and at least that one is still fairly active, but still slower than it once was. As the forums slowed down, my frequency of browsing them has to. Sometimes I have gone weeks or even months without following them.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:49:13 PM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
I am almost exclusively FSO now. I stay just for those guys. The MA has become a s%^&show. Toxic people (mostly one squad which I feel are a bunch of jackwagons), type specific DAR, gv DAR (dumbest add on ever), visibility range (I can see a LA7 taking off from 20k but can't see a Tiger tank at 500 feet.....guess which one is bigger), runners (no one fights 1 v 1 anymore, has to be 4 v 1 or they all run)
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 07:49:07 AM »
(I can see a LA7 taking off from 20k but can't see a Tiger tank at 500 feet.....guess which one is bigger)
I mean, technically the La 7 is bigger. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »

Absolutely true.  And perhaps the most important aspect of this game, far more than whether DAR bar is on or off, side switch times are too long/short, or all the other criticisms.  With very rare exception, we're all friends - even though generally we've never met, and probably never will.

- oldman

I'm pleased and fortunate to say that a few years ago I did meet my long suffering wingman.  :cheers:

Most issues are player induced, but alter your mindset and everything is gravy.  :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:51:55 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
almost all players will eventually be bored with the game

I hope to never be one of those people.

Having said that, I do remember back in Warbirds when I was flying with the American Eagles.  I truly enjoyed the team I was flying with, and looked forward to meeting them online.  I did have to leave Warbirds due to family issues, and am very happy to have found Aces High a few years later.

I really enjoy flying with (most) of the people here in Aces High, but I never found a squad that quite right for me.  Nothing wrong with the squads, just not a good fit for me personally.  But I still enjoy flying with my fellow pilots.

My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com