Author Topic: Add engine overheating like WWI planes  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Add engine overheating like WWI planes
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2020, 07:17:22 PM »
Yeah, that's about the same cockpit but, you are missing all the taped on check lists to keep the engines happy. My father shared 3 Beech 18 with other delivery pilots. Some were less diligent than others about engine management. The company had a small warehouse with replacement engines back from refurbishment and overhaul. A lot of younger pilots went through the company who didn't grow up on radials marking time to move up the commercial ranks.

I can't remember how many '18s the Company I flew for had but they had a major carrot to dangle to us "kids". Do a good job and we'll check you out on the DC-4. Whoopee huh :rolleyes:
I ended up quitting/getting fired because I refused to fly an '18 that had 3 out of 4 mags working. Apparently the Company was pretty cavalier about engine management (and my Butt) too.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
I can't remember how many '18s the Company I flew for had but they had a major carrot to dangle to us "kids". Do a good job and we'll check you out on the DC-4. Whoopee huh :rolleyes:
I ended up quitting/getting fired because I refused to fly an '18 that had 3 out of 4 mags working. Apparently the Company was pretty cavalier about engine management (and my Butt) too.

Sounds like the group who managed the none-o-nine.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
I like how the feature works in our WWI arena - can we bring this to WWII aircraft?  Running your engine 100% for a long period of time should burn it out/reduce performance after a bit.

You are confusing over-speeding a fixed pitch propeller with running an engine at 100% throttle. The Storch has a fixed prop and you can over speed it in the WW2 arena. The WW1 rotary engines always ran at full throttle, They just turned off spark plugs to reduce power.

Aircraft engines do wear from high power which is why they get rebuilt after a few hundred hours of use. In AH you get a new engine each flight so you can abuse it for a couple of hours without problems.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »
Kermit Weeks has quite a stock of radials in his warehouse with packing dates of the mid-1950's. You look inside and there is still cosmoline or grease caked around the engines.

Just wish he would do something with all of the stuff he has. Has so many cool birds that sit and lose airworthiness. The JU-52 he flew years ago is in pieces now, the Short Sunderland is no longer airworthy and the list goes on. Great collection, but I fear there is not enough focus to keep them flying.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:12 PM »
For those really keen on reality I offer some personal reality services:
 - smothering to simulate hypoxia
 - high performance air con system to simulate freezing temperatures
 - a bucket of hot burning oil
 - a fat chick to sit on you to simulate high G forces (no she is fully clothed and you must be to)
 - a 300 calibre rifle for those 'special' moments

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
For those really keen on reality I offer some personal reality services:
 - smothering to simulate hypoxia
 - high performance air con system to simulate freezing temperatures
 - a bucket of hot burning oil
 - a fat chick to sit on you to simulate high G forces (no she is fully clothed and you must be to)
 - a 300 calibre rifle for those 'special' moments

A vibrator to sit on to simulate harmonics?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »
A vibrator to sit on to simulate harmonics?

...nah.... sybian.