Author Topic: AH VR Mirror  (Read 499 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
AH VR Mirror
« on: May 01, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »
So been fiddling with OBS today. My usual MO is to do a window capture of Oculus Mirror. I can tweak that a bunch of different ways in the settings available in mirror. I can select right or left or both eyes (don't know why I would but it's there). I can stretch horizontally or vertically to fit the OBS window and avoid black bars on the edges. It works and I'm used to it. I actually get a much better FOV in the mirror than I do in the headset! Got a wild hair and started messing with AH and it's VR mirror. The idea was if I could get it running as I'd like that's one less process running (Oculus Mirror) and less of them is always better when gaming. Oculus takes up a ton of horsepower just on it's own. Add a game plus streaming or recording and yeah, your machine is at a dead run!

So I started AH DX11 with VR and enabled the mirror in the VR settings. This time in OBS I'm doing a game capture of AH rather than a window capture of Oculus Mirror "mirroring" AH. Got that running OK. What I found different was that the AH VR mirror displays only the left eye view. Naturally, I usually use the right eye view in Oculus Mirror. No biggie. I just switched my forward view to be looking thru the gunsight in AH with my left eye and hit F10. Easy fix there. If I start using Oculus Mirror I'll just have to switch to left eye view.That'll take some getting used to but it'll hardly help or hurt my already bad gunnery. It seems to me the AH capture looks stretched a bit wider than it should be? It seems to be showing what is in the window which does appear stretched horizontally. I don't see any other settings for it in AH other than to enable it. It'd be nice to have some small group of settings to tweak the AH mirror. Trying to stretch it vertically in OBS hasn't worked out as I'd like although I'm still messing around with it. Doing it at the source would be a better deal tho.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: AH VR Mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »
So been fiddling with OBS today. My usual MO is to do a window capture of Oculus Mirror. I can tweak that a bunch of different ways in the settings available in mirror. I can select right or left or both eyes (don't know why I would but it's there). I can stretch horizontally or vertically to fit the OBS window and avoid black bars on the edges. It works and I'm used to it. I actually get a much better FOV in the mirror than I do in the headset! Got a wild hair and started messing with AH and it's VR mirror. The idea was if I could get it running as I'd like that's one less process running (Oculus Mirror) and less of them is always better when gaming. Oculus takes up a ton of horsepower just on it's own. Add a game plus streaming or recording and yeah, your machine is at a dead run!

So I started AH DX11 with VR and enabled the mirror in the VR settings. This time in OBS I'm doing a game capture of AH rather than a window capture of Oculus Mirror "mirroring" AH. Got that running OK. What I found different was that the AH VR mirror displays only the left eye view. Naturally, I usually use the right eye view in Oculus Mirror. No biggie. I just switched my forward view to be looking thru the gunsight in AH with my left eye and hit F10. Easy fix there. If I start using Oculus Mirror I'll just have to switch to left eye view.That'll take some getting used to but it'll hardly help or hurt my already bad gunnery. It seems to me the AH capture looks stretched a bit wider than it should be? It seems to be showing what is in the window which does appear stretched horizontally. I don't see any other settings for it in AH other than to enable it. It'd be nice to have some small group of settings to tweak the AH mirror. Trying to stretch it vertically in OBS hasn't worked out as I'd like although I'm still messing around with it. Doing it at the source would be a better deal tho.

"Do you know what Drano is talking about?"

"No.  Not really.  I think that he's talking about making a real-world mirror, you know, like the Spitfires had on the canopy frame.  But it's hard to tell, there's a lot of sorcery language in what he's saying."

"That's a shame.  Well, we're all getting older.  I do remember that people have been asking for such a mirror for a long time.  I wonder if it will ever happen?"

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: AH VR Mirror
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:34:57 AM »
Upon further review the AH VR mirror doesn't play well with my machine. Just messing with it earlier getting it to look like I wanted wasn't telling me the whole story. Didn't actually fly around at all. Untill FSO tonight. Game crashed out like 5 times after a few minutes. Killed AH mirror and went back to Oculus mirror. No crashie rest of the night. So...experiment over. Never mind! :aok
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group