Author Topic: Occasionally slight freeze  (Read 1629 times)

Offline sundowner25

• Zinc Member
Occasionally slight freeze
« on: May 03, 2020, 09:58:37 AM »
I every now and then get a very momentary slight freeze. I'll be flying along fine and the  it will freeze for a quick second then go right back to normal. I wanted to see if anyone else has had an issues like this. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for nm it that I can identify. I am using a valve index on a intel i9, 32gb ram, with an nvidia 2080ti.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Occasionally slight freeze
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
I recently had a similar issue. I'm using a RiftS. Different HMD and different brand, I know. Maybe there's some commonality tho. Drove me nuts. Thought my USB hub was flaking out. Plugged in directly didn't fix it. Ruled that out. What I found after some Google was that the Oculus software didn't play well with others. Particularly, any sort of monitoring programs or lighting software. I use aida64 and have for years across a couple of builds. That's one it doesn't like. HWMonitor is another one. This is a new PC and I put some pretty LED fans in it and an AIO PC cooler. They're controlled by Corsair iCue. That's one it doesn't like. My mobo has lights on it. Asus Aura. Another one. My GPU has lights on it. MSI Mystic Light. Another one. I run MSI Afterburner to monitor and overclock the GPU. I had some additional items tied into it's monitoring graphs that pulled info from aida64. I have another little LCD panel I use like a little dashboard that pulls info from aida64. Another suspect but not on the list.

With all that crap running I didn't have any problems generally with performance, however, I'd get odd random freezes in games. For all I know they were happening all the time but you might not notice them at the desktop. They'd last maybe a half sec. When these occurred I'd also get commands that would drop flaps or gear or dive flaps. Set my throttle to like 10%. Really annoying!

Tested this by sitting on the runway offline and waited for the glitch. Killed a process and waited. Killed another and waited. Got it to happen rarely rather than every minute or so of ever few seconds at random. Not totally removed but here's why.

I was reluctant to kill iCue because of the AIO control, but put in a straight fan control and static lighting for when gaming I enable manually that's not generally looking at anything to react to. But iCue does monitor a bunch of things. I have a headset on after all. Not like I'm looking at the pretty lights! Not killing Afterburner as I need it for the GPU and have a fan curve enabled for better cooling, although I did remove the items it was pulling from aida64 for it's graphs. Killed the MSI lighting, aida64, the LCD panel software. I set all those that were causing a conflict to not start with windows whether in the software or in windows services.

So the common thread with mine was aida64 as I had it tied into some other goodies I'm using. After tweaking these I'm not having these odd glitches, which I was also having in other games which ruled out an AH only issue.

Anyway that's something that might help you. Gotta figure all these headsets at their basic level work in much the same way so might be a common thread. Give it a try.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:09:49 AM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DubDubz

• Zinc Member
Re: Occasionally slight freeze
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
I've been freezing for a split-second seeing an hourglass and sometimes my view just outright reset to a lower position. I did find some times when I activate my mic there is a slight stall also. If you're a steam user  I'm Not sure whether my Oculus sensor losing tracking but that's what I believe it is, when you activate your VR through Steam it is steam's program working with the Oculus not the Oculus program itself it's on in the background but steam is manipulating Oculus to do what you want to do. Other Steam games have the same deal.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Not using Steam. I use Open Composite VR for games that would require Steam otherwise, but AH isn't one of them.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
 :aok I believe it is sound/MIC issue. Thats the only problem I have had, well MAJOR. The little pauses only happen for me in "Hi-congested" coms areas, or seconds after I key up. Me and a wingman, no flicker...get to an active fight...AH VOX, Teamspeak, AH-channel, Range....yup a flicker. Even get VoiceAttack flickers in same HI Talk areas. Sometimes it wont react at all, if chat is to hi :uhoh  The Pauses also happen for Non VR squadmates. Wonder if the "Old ways of AH, having issues with some sound drivers(NVidia,Realtec(cant remember) is back? Heck, it may not have ever left,but havent had any issues till recently. Heck, it may be the COVID I saw it flying BISH,Fri evening :pray
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
I'm not running VR and I have the same problem even when there's nobody around.
Just little random freezes while my framerate is reading over 100.

I have heard many people mention it in game so I don't think it's just us.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:34:54 PM by hazmatt »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 05:42:58 PM »
Might still be a process that's messing you up. Do a ctrl-alt-del and start killing processes you prolly don't need to be running while gaming. Always a good idea anyway. I didn't know about the conflicts I was having as I'd never had an AIO or lighting of any kind on my other PCs. I just added them to the list of things I usually shut down before a gaming session. Every clock cycle counts man!

If you're wondering whether you can safely kill a process or not, Google it and better yet, download one of Blackviper's guides for your OS.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »
Sounds like you have the dx11 version studder that I have never been able to find or duplicate. I previously searched on the issue, found other games had same issue. But I have never found anything that gives me a hint how to fix.

HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »
Sounds like you have the dx11 version studder that I have never been able to find or duplicate. I previously searched on the issue, found other games had same issue. But I have never found anything that gives me a hint how to fix.

HiTech
And what is totally annoying is the randomness of it. When I tested it I was just sitting on a runway in the 38, engines off. I was in VR with tracking paused looking straight ahead. Put a towel in the headset so it'd stay on and watched the screen in Oculus Mirror. Hands off everything just drones flying around with a clear sky, FR full at 80 in the RiftS.

It might take 5 minutes or more but eventually I'd get a pause. Drones paused, dive brake indicator came on, throttle would go to maybe 10% all by itself, ailerons pull left and stay there. I have all of those mapped to an axis on different controllers. Throttle on CH Throttle. Dive brake on the brake lever on the VKB stick. Roll on same stick.

I might get another pause in ten seconds or ten minutes. Kinda all over the place. Killing monitoring processes cured most of this for me.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:26 PM »
Would bumping up the priority of the AH executable do anything here?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
I have found my set up has two sets of audio driver options for rift headset and rift mic. iirc one is called Virtual Rift Mic. That seems to cause stutters. Sometimes when the Rift drivers update they flick back the virtual driver as default. So I have to change the in game selection for headphones and mic back.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
Yeah that crap started with the December updates. Safe to just disable them but every update now jumbles the sound devices in OBS and have to reset them as well. I've forgotten more than once and recorded nice video with no sound but me.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »
Mine was 100% tied to the soundcard I was using - every time there was a new sound or sound transition, I would get the micro-pause.

At the time I had an older Soundblaster and then decided to switched to onboard Realtek - same issue.  I then decided to buy a new PCI-E Creative X-fi soundcard - stutter completely went away. Same video card. Same older PC and using an Acer101 VR headset. Now with no issues. :aok

Hitech - I pretty sure it's related to sound that's causing the stuttering.

BTW - I have an i7-3770k CPU and 24Gb ram and a Geforce GTX1070. Win10-1909.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Note I have seen 2 times of studders described, one about a second long pause, another just a frame twitch. Wich one were you seeing with the sound?

Btw in the vr settings, try disabling auto mode switch and see if that removes the studder.

HiTech

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 12:13:15 AM »
cv1 2070 super and i7. I still get that stutter - only common thing i've noticed was that it occurs just as I close to someone - like 1.5 to 1k out, Hourglass, split second and back. Suggestion that it relates to sounds is interesting...