Author Topic: Triple Monitors and system upgrades  (Read 676 times)

Offline xTITANx

• Zinc Member
Triple Monitors and system upgrades
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »
Hey all,

*** So, I'm waaaaay behind on technology and not sure what would be feasible ***

With the whole quarantine situation I'm working from home and getting back into playing.  I need to got to a triple monitor situation for work an I thought since I'm going back to playing I might as well get what I want while I can.

My current config:
AMD Radeon HD 8990
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K Pro c (4-cores, 10MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz w/ Turbo
32GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600 MHz
Alienware Aurora-R4

A guy with my exact system was looking to upgrade on another graphics upgrade page and based on the info provided, I was looking at a AMD 5700-xt along with triple Samsung JG56 27" 16:9 144 Hz Curved FreeSync VA Gaming Monitors.  Is that compatible with my computer? one of the dependencies was the what type of Power supply was available - checking that out today.

anyway, thanks... looking forward to answers.

Titan.(Ken)

xTITANx A.K.A.  DFATITAN
Death From Above (DFA)
"My relationship with AH has lasted longer than my last two wives".  On again, off again, but still here.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Triple Monitors and system upgrades
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 01:44:57 AM »
Just bear in mind that the pixel density of those monitors is 1.7x to that of a "standard" FullHD and that you're going to make it triple. That'd be 35% more than 4K or similar to 5.3 FullHD monitors. Adding to that they run at 144Hz which is 2.4x the "standard" 60Hz. I don't know how to combine the multipliers but summing them tells that you'd need a video card 8 times stronger than what a single FullHD @ 60Hz would require.

One review said this: "Although the RX 5700 XT isn't really designed for gaming at 4K resolution, it still is capable of gaming at 4K resolution at about 45Hz at medium settings."

I'd search for cards that are capable to run modern games at 4K @ 144Hz with a margin as that'd be a more common platform than triple WHQD.

Also, your CPU may or may not bottleneck the required video card.

Although already a year old, this might be of interest: https://uk.pcmag.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-founders-edition/120408/ultimate-pc-gaming-what-does-it-take-to-play-at-4k-and-144hz

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline xTITANx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 06:32:07 AM »
thanks Bizman!… i'll look at the reference site you sent.  Probably have more questions after...

FYI - I'm not tied to a graphics card and/or monitors other than I need three monitors for work.  AH is my only game so whatever I decide to get, I'd like to maximize play experience within the operating capabilities of my system or with minimum changes/upgrades. 

Thanks again!!!!
Titan :salute
xTITANx A.K.A.  DFATITAN
Death From Above (DFA)
"My relationship with AH has lasted longer than my last two wives".  On again, off again, but still here.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 07:31:41 AM »
You may get a better game experience at 144Hz on one 2K monitor vs 60Hz or less on three. You can have three monitors for work and still use just one for gaming.