Author Topic: Monday Night Madness/ava staff night--5/18/20 at 8pm EST in the AVA arena  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Aww crap. I finished work early and with no wife-ack, I thought I would get in and fly tonight in MNM. But it's Tuesday, and yesterday was holiday Monday.  Dang it!

On well, I'll try for next week... :x
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Aww crap. I finished work early and with no wife-ack, I thought I would get in and fly tonight in MNM. But it's Tuesday, and yesterday was holiday Monday.  Dang it!

On well, I'll try for next week... :x

I didn't make this week either but I will drink a frozen margarita in your honor.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
I didn't make this week either but I will drink a frozen margarita in your honor.

Seems to me that if Fork didn't make it, and Shuffler didn't make it...well...that's two who didn't make it.  So...shouldn't there be two makeup margaritas...?  Each?

- oldman (just trying to be helpful)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member

Seems to me that if Fork didn't make it, and Shuffler didn't make it...well...that's two who didn't make it.  So...shouldn't there be two makeup margaritas...?  Each?

- oldman (just trying to be helpful)

I am drinking one frozen margarita in his honor and the rest of the blender in mine.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Monday Night Madness is meant to be a nightmare furball. It improves flying skills, SA, and aim very quickly if you can stay with it.

This.  All of this.  The bolded part twice.  It is not meant to be a recreation of the little known but highly important historical Battle of the Valley of the Black Monoliths.  It's a fun turnfight knife-in-a-phonebook mess on the deck, and it serves that purpose very well.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Let's just say I have melted quite a bit of frozen margaritas over the whole mess and had a great time doing it. The 38J carcasses laying all over is full proof of that fact. That along with the thick straws, broken crystal mugs and salt.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
No turny planes meant no b-239, no I-16 and no ki-43.  If you're not killing everyone you're not happy. My job is to make it fun for EVERYONE, no matter how good they are. Maybe you should have more of an encouragement attitude, rather then the "me,me,me" attidude.
I try to have one Jaeger but usually after a long day or work or a day off when doing a lot of stuff around the house I want to try to have a good day giving it everything I have to get good kills and decent kill chains, and to have fun. But it gets squashed real quick and my SA can be good and most times its not. Even with SA it feels like my bird whatever I fly is sluggish or even if I can pull a good engagement I just get wrecked. Thats why honestly I go to MA more, and with what Easy said about the old maps not having attendance I actually enjoyed those ones. It gave me a real sense of knowing what its like flying like the real pilots on long missions. I understand AVA is about quickness which I attempt to use and sometimes I win and most times I lose. I honestly would like to see the original AVA with maps like BOB to use for Bombing runs or even English Channel fights or Pacific style ones as well IMHO. I hope you get where I am coming from.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
I honestly would like to see the original AVA with maps like BOB to use for Bombing runs or even English Channel fights or Pacific style ones as well IMHO.

Me, too.  And yet, the AvA staff always has run these setups during the week.  MNM is actually a departure from that.  For a wide variety of reasons (everyone has his own pet theories), people no longer seem as interested in the historical match-ups as they once were.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
AVA still runs those during the week..... no one shows. MNM and TN are the only setups making waves right now.

Real shame as the BOB map is a fun one.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
I understand SNO where you are coming from but this is what killed me last night on there. When it was mentioned of Mid War planes and not turny planes I was hoping for some good P-47 flying and yet it seemed that even if I could catch a break it still didn't work out. What didn't help either is with how high you can only go up. Just up to 4K, and I understand turn fights or scissor fights, but I try to fly the aircraft in there as historically accurate as can be and I know the fighters like the wildcat and corsair and the thunderbolt were used in those roles. It pissed me off because it seemed even if I built up speed it felt like with fighters like the hurricane 2s could keep up and I was weping like a MFer. And I remember the old AVA had a setup where would could fly the historical aircraft on the historical maps. But the map for me isn't really my cup of tea, and thats why I fly scenario or FSO because the experience of flying a long mission and getting those moments of excitement or fright makes it more realistic in my opinion and the flight setup is more to it as well, but it just doesn't work in my play style that's the issue. Thats why I go with MA most times and sometimes I have bad days which yesterday was, and I have amazing 1v1s with good pilots like I had a good engagement one time with svaal in a 109K4 while I was flying an F4. That's the way I like to fly, get some time to setup my approach and fly historically correct, I am not trying to sound like a picker. I just want to have a more realistic approach on AVA. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

I try to have one Jaeger but usually after a long day or work or a day off when doing a lot of stuff around the house I want to try to have a good day giving it everything I have to get good kills and decent kill chains, and to have fun. But it gets squashed real quick and my SA can be good and most times its not. Even with SA it feels like my bird whatever I fly is sluggish or even if I can pull a good engagement I just get wrecked. Thats why honestly I go to MA more, and with what Easy said about the old maps not having attendance I actually enjoyed those ones. It gave me a real sense of knowing what its like flying like the real pilots on long missions. I understand AVA is about quickness which I attempt to use and sometimes I win and most times I lose. I honestly would like to see the original AVA with maps like BOB to use for Bombing runs or even English Channel fights or Pacific style ones as well IMHO. I hope you get where I am coming from.

From observation during MNM when you are participating:

1. Continuous talking (pretty much loud all the time) is distracting you from flying         
    efficiently.  BFM/ACM requires concentration and precision to be effective. 

2.  Doing the same thing over and over, and it not working is frustrating.   Frustration further 
     distracts you.  Try something different.  If that doesn’t work, try something else different.
     If nothing is working to your satisfaction, there’s something fundamentally wrong with
     your approach and basic skill set.  Watch others, especially those who are successful. 
     Learn from observation.  Seek help from one or more of them outside the arena on a
     different day.  Improve your skill set beyond excuses and blame. 

3.  If you are offered help.  Take it. 

4.  Realize that when you are continually talking, frequently loudly, others on the channel
     can’t communicate, are getting frustrated, and probably muting you. Ever wonder why
     someone doesn’t respond back to you?

5.  It’s not about you.  It’s about us having fun.  If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it
     wrong.

6.  Many of us miss the days past of large MNM size crowds in the weekly AVA scenario
     setups.  Numbers attract more numbers.  Drag your squadies into the AvA.  Start a
     trend.  It’s the same concept as MNM.  Players see a large crowd on Monday nights,
     come in, and check it out.  Instead of complaining about the lack of participation, try and
     do something about it.

7.  Do some honest self analysis.  Fix yourself.  Don’t blame others, the game, or HT.  See
     #1.

8.  HAVE FUN with this game.  If you aren’t having FUN and continually expressing your
     frustration and anger on the radio, you are affecting other’s fun.  If it’s a bad day for you,
     and we all have those, do something different.  Don’t make it a bad day for others.

Just offering some, hopefully, helpful observations.  Remember to have fun.  This game is a great distraction from whatever we are all dealing with in the real world.

CHECK SIX! 

Puma  :salute
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:07:25 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
YEAH..... shut up so I can do all the talking... :D

hicup   :devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
ive setup BOB numerous times and the arena remains empty. so I put in matchups and setups that people will like and leave them up for the week or the weekend, depending on when we change the setup. Monday night madness is designed to be close quarters furball with no one getting an advantage. that's the idea. if you cant get your plane to fly the envelope, MNM is designed that way. its to put everyone on equal footing.

LNG what would YOU suggest for Monday night madness? understand you must cater to everyone, not just yourself. you tell me what you would like to see, based on those requirements?

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
ive setup BOB numerous times and the arena remains empty. so I put in matchups and setups that people will like and leave them up for the week or the weekend, depending on when we change the setup. Monday night madness is designed to be close quarters furball with no one getting an advantage. that's the idea. if you cant get your plane to fly the envelope, MNM is designed that way. its to put everyone on equal footing.

LNG what would YOU suggest for Monday night madness? understand you must cater to everyone, not just yourself. you tell me what you would like to see, based on those requirements?

What would be a good suggestion would be this. MNM is only about shooting each other down. What if you added another objective into the setup, something like a team deathmatch style kind of like Call Of Duty, but here me out on this. Say if one team reaches such as 50 kills that team win and then switch it to a GV TDM or something like that. And for any player who obtains such as 3 to 5 kills they can up a speech to spot for 60 seconds (excluding take off and landing) Something like that. I know there is vehicle icons in the arena which help but I would honest to god also add if someone gets an AA vehicle they can knock it out as well. I know currently AVA and MNM does have teams but have it as a set up to where to set up teams and whoever is on that team stays on that team and whoever wins switch them around and randomize it. That's my honest opinion Jaeger.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
ok but my problem is most guys come in to fly planes, not GV's. that's why we have a separate night for GV's. the best we could do is have separate planesets and after 10 minutes have everyone switch side. this would be clunky and cause people to leave. the idea behind Monday night madness is mindless furball killing, not really any sort of scoring.

what you're asking is side based king of the hill setup. and switching from planes to GV's is no easy feat either. it involves a second set of tables. not that it cant be done, but rather its clunky. much of what you ask for cant even be done in the Arena's. if you don't believe me, try setting it up in a custom arena. if it wont work in there, it wont work in the AVA.

well I appreciate your idea's none the less and will think about what can be done to make something like that happen. we did at one point have a capture the flag setup, but again most of the guys in Monday night madness are not interested in capturing bases or score, just getting better at flying planes and SA.

Monday night madness does help improve SA all around for most.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
They already switch to even teams. It is very random. People will even fly with me... even though no one ever wants to.    :devil

MNM is loose and fast. No time to do your hair and brush your teeth... barely enough time to refill my margarita.
80th FS "Headhunters"