Author Topic: A NEW HURRICANE.. MK 4.  (Read 616 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
A NEW HURRICANE.. MK 4.
« on: May 19, 2020, 03:56:10 AM »
   THE  RODNEY DANGERFIELD OF FIGHTERS...  IT WAS A VERY VERSITILE PLANE AND LIKE THE P40.  WAS NOT GREAT, BUT WAS THERE.  A BOMBING MODEL WOULD BE NICE. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: A NEW HURRICANE.. MK 4.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »
Hey... my wife likes to talk to me while having sex. The other day she called me on the golf course.

I told this woman on the plane she was ugly. She told me I was drunk. I said yeah but I will be sober in the morning.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
 :rofl
Hey... my wife likes to talk to me while having sex. The other day she called me on the golf course.

I told this woman on the plane she was ugly. She told me I was drunk. I said yeah but I will be sober in the morning.

:rofl  :rofl
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:50:21 PM »
Change the hissos on the C Hurri to .303 and carry the two 500lb general purpose bombs. The only thing Hitech didn't include which the MK4 had is rockets. The Hurri D takes care of the final wing load out the Mk4's generalized wing could be mounted with. I find the Hurri C with 2 500lb bombs to be an excellent tank killer to defend bases. Just not enough bombs per sortie while you can lay bombs in a pickle barrel. The Hurri C does not have the extra armor weight of the Mk4 so with Hiso after you kill a tank you can defend the town and field from air attacks.

The last major change to the Hurricane was to "rationalise" the wing, configuring it with a single design able to mount two bombs, two 40 mm (1.57 in) Vickers S guns, or eight "60 pounder" RP-3 rockets. Some sources say that the new design also mounted the improved Merlin 24 or 27 engines of 1,620 hp (1,208 kW) but this is disputed. They were equipped with dust filters for desert operations and an additional 350 lb (159 kg) of armour plating was added to the radiator housing, cockpit and fuel tanks.

The Mk IV was used in ground-attack missions in the European theatre until the early days of 1944, before being replaced by the more modern Hawker Typhoon. French ace Pierre Clostermann recalls in his book, The Big Show, that RP-3-equipped Hurricanes were limited to 205 mph (330 km/h) top speed due to the rockets' drag, and that Hurricane casualty rates against the lethal German flak were extremely high. In particular, Clostermann describes a rocket attack by Hurricanes from No. 184 Squadron RAF against a V-1 flying bomb launch-site on the French coast on 20 December 1943, in which three of the four aircraft were shot down before they could attack.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.