Author Topic: My new toy.  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Re: My new toy.
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
I have a Springfield Milspec. It has 1-2 features above the base model but not much more. Great pistol. Springfield Armory stepped on its D*ck a few years back in Illinois (where it's based) when it's lobbyist signed off on one of the state's many gun control initiatives to try and get a carve out. However, the company backtracked pretty quickly (under a lot of pressure). I can forgive Ruger for Bill's transgressions and can do the same for Springfield as long as they stay straight and fly right moving forward. I use an XD45 for my nightstand gun.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »
I'll never buy another Glock. The trigger springs break (no more shooty), the action stop pin breaks (no more stoppy), and the action break-down spring breaks (gun falls apart when you shoot it). These are not uncommon problems with Glocks, either. No thanks.
How  are you maintaining the weapon?  I'm an NRA pistol instructor and 40 years a gun smith, not seeing what your seeing. again, how often do you maintain the weapon and how many total rounds have you put through, which model Glock?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
Is a lot of fun.
(Image removed from quote.)
HiTech
Always sad when someone refers to a weapon as a toy, Don't shoot your eye out.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
Always sad when someone refers to a weapon as a toy, Don't shoot your eye out.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
How  are you maintaining the weapon?  I'm an NRA pistol instructor and 40 years a gun smith, not seeing what your seeing. again, how often do you maintain the weapon and how many total rounds have you put through, which model Glock?

Yeah, lots of gunsmiths on the Internet.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/are-glocks-truly-perfection
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2020, 12:21:56 AM »

My range facility put 1 million pistol rounds downrange every quarter for years, I've seen everything break.  Everything WILL eventually break.  Glocks have a stated factory service life of 20 to 30k in 9mm, and 20k (or less) in some models. Their .40 cal pistols WILL fail more frequently due to the nature of having higher pressures in a handgun designed for 9mm.

In my experience (100 Glock+ handguns alone returned to factory for repair or catastrophic failure replacement), the main reason GLocks fail after 20k rounds (and before that), is people not changing out the recoil spring assembly.  When that wears out, the handgun will quickly start beating/eating itself, resulting in slide/rail separations, fractures, and all kinds of other failures.  So you're right, maintanence is a major failing point, and not really the handguns fault.  Still, I've seen brand new handguns of every caliber and description break/fail in their first 1000rnds.  It's random, and not very likely, but it happens.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »
My range facility put 1 million pistol rounds downrange every quarter for years, I've seen everything break.  Everything WILL eventually break.  Glocks have a stated factory service life of 20 to 30k in 9mm, and 20k (or less) in some models. Their .40 cal pistols WILL fail more frequently due to the nature of having higher pressures in a handgun designed for 9mm.

In my experience (100 Glock+ handguns alone returned to factory for repair or catastrophic failure replacement), the main reason GLocks fail after 20k rounds (and before that), is people not changing out the recoil spring assembly.  When that wears out, the handgun will quickly start beating/eating itself, resulting in slide/rail separations, fractures, and all kinds of other failures.  So you're right, maintanence is a major failing point, and not really the handguns fault.  Still, I've seen brand new handguns of every caliber and description break/fail in their first 1000rnds.  It's random, and not very likely, but it happens.

The biggest problem with the Glocks in .40 S&W is that their chamber does not fully support the case, and the barrels design is not friendly to lead and copper wash bullets, You have to use copper jacketed rounds in a Glock. Scratch +P hot loads like Cor-bon and Buffalo bore to. Handloads void your warranty.

Typically Unsupported Chamber with a Polygonal rifled barrel  firing Lead Bullet Followed by +P Loads causes a glock to go KABOOM!

http://f-r-i.com/glock/FAQ/FAQ-kb.htm

They also lack a hammer which brings up a new problem that left me with a scar under my right eye. I had a factory cartridge with a bad primer fail to fire. I waited the obligatory 10 count, ejected the round and BOOOM! the cartridge went off hitting me in the face with brass fragments .... If I wasn't wearing eye protection I would be blind in my right eye.

I returned my issue weapon and purchased a Smith and Wesson 411 .40 and a Sig p229 .40, I fell in love the p229 and made it my primary duty/carry weapon.

I have loved Sigs ever since. Now I have a p220st .45 a p220 .40 and a p239 .40. I carry them all (Usually not at the same time).

Unfortunately Sig has been moving away from their p2XX designs for the last decade and I hear they are closing their European factories due to financial and legislative problems.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
Delete Double Post
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »
Generally speaking pretty much all handguns warranty is voided by handloads, according to the lawyerese fine print in the documentation. Other than a catastrophic failure I haven't heard of them trying to enforce that.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2020, 04:19:54 PM »
had a buddy with a nickel plates 1911..beautiful gun. I would love to have one too. congrats.

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2020, 08:26:34 AM »
That's a Beautiful pistol Mr. Tech, I'd love to own one that's engraved someday.

I bought a Ruger-57 (5.7x28mm) back in January.  It finally showed up last Saturday.  Now I can't find any websites or stores with ammo for it in stock.  I did have the sense to order some AP bullets for it back in Jan.

When I saw that Walmart ran out of toilet paper I ran to my local gun shop and bought a used Sig government model 1911 in stainless just in case...

I still need holsters for both, anyone have any suggestions for IWB?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2020, 08:38:26 AM »
When I saw that Walmart ran out of toilet paper I ran to my local gun shop and bought a used Sig government model 1911 in stainless just in case...

Is that a 2-ply handgun?

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2020, 09:49:52 PM »
Is that a 2-ply handgun?

no, I already had a 2 ply.

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »
are those shotgun shells in that thing? what gauge? wow.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2020, 09:51:10 AM »
look like 410. KICK MUCH?