Author Topic: On This Day  (Read 682 times)

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
On This Day
« on: May 23, 2020, 07:20:27 AM »
Thinking of upcoming Memorial Day here in "the State", I am reminded of my Dad. On this day in 1951 he was a staff seargent in the 187th RCT serving in Korea, when he and his squad , riding in a jeep, was ambushed by a group of Chinese soldiers who were behind US lines, trying to make their way to more friendly territory. All his patrol was killed, except my dad and one other. The enemy, believing all the Americans were dead, made a very cursory body check, because they were nervous being so far behind enemy lines, took my dad's M1 from his hands (he was playing dead, despite being in agony from his wound), and hurried on their way. My dad eventually mustered enough courage to peek around, determined it was now safe, found the only other surving member of his squad, who was unconcious, and drove to the CP/ HQ. This, despite the only thing keeping his left foot on his leg was his tightly laced combat boot. He never spoke of this to me. I heard it from his best friend who served with him, upon their reunion many years later, when I was in my 30s. I salute all those who gave their all for our country, and a big thank you to all U S veterans.  :salute
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:28:48 AM by nooby52 »

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: On This Day
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 10:20:07 AM »
Every year at this time, the memories of those I served with that have gone west become more vivid when we, as a nation, remember all of those who have served.  Very proud to have served with these guys.  Great pilots, squadron mates, and friends, one and all.

Captain Tom “T. Worthington” Brundige

Captain Ben “Moosebreath” Cothran

Lt Col Jeff “JD, Sly” Fox

Lt Col Tim “Timmy the Target” Desmarias

Col Mark “Sweet Pea, Side Show” Larson

Major Ed Newell

ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:22:12 AM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:24:01 AM »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
Thinking of upcoming Memorial Day here in "the State", I am reminded of my Dad. On this day in 1951 he was a staff seargent in the 187th RCT serving in Korea, when he and his squad , riding in a jeep, was ambushed by a group of Chinese soldiers who were behind US lines, trying to make their way to more friendly territory. All his patrol was killed, except my dad and one other. The enemy, believing all the Americans were dead, made a very cursory body check, because they were nervous being so far behind enemy lines, took my dad's M1 from his hands (he was playing dead, despite being in agony from his wound), and hurried on their way. My dad eventually mustered enough courage to peek around, determined it was now safe, found the only other surving member of his squad, who was unconcious, and drove to the CP/ HQ. This, despite the only thing keeping his left foot on his leg was his tightly laced combat boot. He never spoke of this to me. I heard it from his best friend who served with him, upon their reunion many years later, when I was in my 30s. I salute all those who gave their all for our country, and a big thank you to all U S veterans.  :salute

:salute to your father, South.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »
Every year at this time, the memories of those I served with that have gone west become more vivid when we, as a nation, remember all of those who have served.  Very proud to have served with these guys.  Great pilots, squadron mates, and friends, one and all.

Captain Tom “T. Worthington” Brundige

Captain Ben “Moosebreath” Cothran

Lt Col Jeff “JD, Sly” Fox

Lt Col Tim “Timmy the Target” Desmarias

Col Mark “Sweet Pea, Side Show” Larson

Major Ed Newell

ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
Here here  :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)