Author Topic: "newer" vid card  (Read 718 times)

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
"newer" vid card
« on: May 27, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
I just upgraded from a 1GASUS HD6850 to a 8G(I think) GEForce 950. I expected to see an improvement in FR and graphics even with stuff cranked up but nothing new. FR still around 59 in TA. comments?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: "newer" vid card
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:31:52 PM »
My frame rate has the same limitation. The monitor (well, TV) I use is limited to 60 MHz refresh. Gaming monitors are falling a bit in price, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-30-inch-Curved-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07TXM7K4T/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=gaming+monitor&qid=1590618574&sr=8-1

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
Hehe I went from a 6950(forget how much vram)to a 1060 6gb to a 2060 6gb card. I recommend the MSI gaming series if only because of the coolers on them. I think when AH3 started I was still using the 6950 but with a lot of stuff turned down or off. The 1060 was released in 2016 and ran AH on a 1080p 60hz monitor with most eye candy on except for the environmental just fine. It hit the wall when I went to VR last year, would run it but barely and so the update to the 2060. That totally rocks AH in both 2D and VR. I mildly overclocked both the 1060 and 2060 with afterburner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 03:58:34 AM »
I just upgraded from a 1GASUS HD6850 to a 8G(I think) GEForce 950. I expected to see an improvement in FR and graphics even with stuff cranked up but nothing new. FR still around 59 in TA. comments?
The GTX950 is much more powerful than the HD6850 so the improvement is significant. It should allow you to enable some settings or set a slider a notch or two higher without killing your frame rate.

As Arlo said your frame rate is limited by your monitor. For frame rates higher than 60 you should have a higher speed monitor - 144Hz is the most common but there's ones starting from 100Hz up to over 200Hz. Note that the increased speed requires more video power as well. A GTX950 may not be able to keep a constant 144 FPS frame rate on a 144Hz monitor. Similarly a higher resolution requires a more powerful GPU.

You can test the performance of your video card by disabling V-sync in the Video Settings (Start AH, sign in, Video Settings on the clipboard lower right). While you're there check that the Video Resolution matches with the native resolution of your monitor and that the Max Texture Size is set to 4096 for hi-res textures.

As it says by the check box, disabling V-sync is for testing only. It will show the capability of your video card but with a cost of the screen tearing which will make you miss when you'd normally hit. But if it appears that you'll get a steady 120 or higher FPS in the game getting a high speed monitor would be an option. If the frame rates fluctuate between 59 and 100 then simply consider the "lost" frame rate potential as headroom for the toughest situations, to keep your FR at a constant 60 even there.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni