Author Topic: Joystick  (Read 857 times)

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
Joystick
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:52:48 AM »
I have an old second hand Thrustmaster T-Hotas (the $89 one) and lately, my plane is bouncing all over the place whenever I apply pressure, particularly on the elevators.  This makes it very difficult to hit the things I am aiming at.  I have a new Thrustmaster 1600M coming in today...are there advanced settings published for different common joysticks anywhere.  Should I use scaling?  I spent hours trying yo make the old stick work and it seems I have to calibrate it each time I log on.   I will appreciate any advice...

Thanks
Check Six!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Joystick
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
After many years of faithful service, my CH Fighterstick began giving me nosebouce due to worn or dirty potentiometers. About 2 months ago I moved to the T16000 and like it a lot. The throw of the handle has just the right pressure vs the F-stick, which which had a wider, softer arc of movement. I've played with scaling for X & Y axes (still use my CH Peds for rudder) using 3 variations:
1. All sliders at 100%  - I found this way too precise, tight if you will, as I tend to be a bit ham fisted.
2. Sliders set to default setting.
3. Setting the far left slider (0) to the 50% level and sliders 70, 80, 90 to the 100% level. Sliders in between are graduated incrementally inbetween.

I find deafult setting to be my favorite. There's been no desire or need to adjust damping or deadband.

Hope that helps. You may want to duplicate the post in Hardware & Software

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
I have an old second hand Thrustmaster T-Hotas (the $89 one) and lately, my plane is bouncing all over the place whenever I apply pressure, particularly on the elevators.  This makes it very difficult to hit the things I am aiming at.  I have a new Thrustmaster 1600M coming in today...are there advanced settings published for different common joysticks anywhere.  Should I use scaling?  I spent hours trying yo make the old stick work and it seems I have to calibrate it each time I log on.   I will appreciate any advice...

Thanks

What you want to do with the old stick is go to the advanced tab in controller setup and watch the input slider when you move the stick, that will show you if it's spiking. Then you can add damping to try to mitigate it. You can also see the effect of scaling.

With the new stick do the same thing to see the difference in performance.

If you decide to use scaling start with the default setting. You don't need scaling for roll, just pitch and maybe rudder.

When you calibrate your stick calibrate first in Windows then calibrate in AH.

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »
Thank you, guys!  Looking forward to more buttons on the new stick.  The two hat switches on the throttle will help in DCS with locking targets...  I will try to check for spiking on the old stick in the meantime and keep it as a back-up.  <S>
Check Six!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 10:23:43 PM »

When you calibrate your stick calibrate first in Windows then calibrate in AH.

Serious question, I have an X52 pro and use windows 10. I can’t find that any where, even read on other forums it’s been removed.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »
In Control Panel look at Devices and Printers. Find your joystick, right click and open Game Controller Settings.

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »
The 1600M works great!  No spiking so it was the old stick causing my issues. 

Thanks for your help!
Check Six!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 06:31:27 AM »
With a new stick you should not have to scale anything

Should be 1 to 1 with all set to 100

That gives you instant response to any input on the stick

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »
Scaling is not a fix for a bad stick. Scaling is a fix for a short stick. If you have a stick extension you don't need to scale, for everyone else it's a personal preference issue. For a twisty rudder it's a good idea along with some dead band.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:09 AM »
The 1600M works great!  No spiking so it was the old stick causing my issues. 

Thanks for your help!
Your new stick uses a different sensor technology. It's not prone to spiking and the good news is it likely never will. Very much unlike the old school pots that would get dirty and require disassembly and cleaning or replacement eventually as they aged. Newer contactless sensors themselves won't spike. If you see spiking going forward your problem will likely be a connection or wire issue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group