Author Topic: CH Fighter Stick Trim Wheel  (Read 965 times)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
CH Fighter Stick Trim Wheel
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
My trim wheels are super sensitive on the CH fighter stick, not sure how to reduce this, I have created some a dead space and dampening through the controller interface in-game but believe those are for the primary axis only.

Thanks for any response.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: CH Fighter Stick Trim Wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
My trim wheels are super sensitive on the CH fighter stick, not sure how to reduce this, I have created some a dead space and dampening through the controller interface in-game but believe those are for the primary axis only.

Thanks for any response.
The trim wheels are purely mechanical and adjust the physical center point of the gimbal. No direct electronics with them. Now if you mean by sensitive that you're getting a spike when adjusting them, it could be that either the wires to the pots are working loose or the pots themselves are developing a bad or dirty spot on them. As to the wires, each of the pots have three tiny spade connectors. They can get loose over time. Every time you move the stick they get a little tug back and forth. Do the math. That's a lot of little tugs! Give them a squeeze with a needle nose and reseat them so they don't wiggle. That may be the cure. If not you have dirty/bad pots. Only slightly more involved. Let me know how you made out with the wires.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
My fighterstick hat is getting gamey. Can't hardly look back.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »
One of the hats on my throttle and a button are starting to lose it too! Not a lot short of major surgery and resoldering gonna fix that.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
The trim wheels are purely mechanical and adjust the physical center point of the gimbal. No direct electronics with them. Now if you mean by sensitive that you're getting a spike when adjusting them, it could be that either the wires to the pots are working loose or the pots themselves are developing a bad or dirty spot on them. As to the wires, each of the pots have three tiny spade connectors. They can get loose over time. Every time you move the stick they get a little tug back and forth. Do the math. That's a lot of little tugs! Give them a squeeze with a needle nose and reseat them so they don't wiggle. That may be the cure. If not you have dirty/bad pots. Only slightly more involved. Let me know how you made out with the wires.

Wow good to know Drano - it is not any spiking but just touching the the trim wheel send the stick off in the other direction, both Y and X axis trim wheels behave the same, guess some more dead band is needed.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 04:31:40 PM »
Yeah I've had both that stick and throttle apart more times than I can count!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 05:21:52 PM »

Wow good to know Drano - it is not any spiking but just touching the the trim wheel send the stick off in the other direction, both Y and X axis trim wheels behave the same, guess some more dead band is needed.

When I used CH I locked the trim wheels in place to keep the stick centered. I would not recommend using them for trim.

Deadband is good for rudder on twisty sticks and possibly if you rest your feet on rudder pedals. Generally you want as little deadband as possible, the more you have the more likely you are to over control the stick.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »
My Fighter Stick has 3 wheels. The near one and the right one are mechanical adjusts as mentioned. However, the left one controls the "z" axis in the AH controller mapping GUI.

I use it for ranging in a GV, such as the Panzer H, or field gun.  :old:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:23:58 PM »
My fighterstick hat is getting gamey. Can't hardly look back.

I have the same problem ... I'm thinking of upgrading to virpil T50-CM2 Grip Base and throttle.

I hear you can remove the button and rap foil around the shaft and it alleviates the problem for some time.

My Fighter Stick has 3 wheels. The near one and the right one are mechanical adjusts as mentioned. However, the left one controls the "z" axis in the AH controller mapping GUI.

I use it for ranging in a GV, such as the Panzer H, or field gun.  :old:

That would be the throttle wheel, Since I have the Stand Alone Throttle, I use the Throttle wheel on my stick for RPM.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:26:32 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!