Author Topic: Furball Arena  (Read 5164 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Furball Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 10:37:54 AM »
Jesus Christ.

I said nothing derogatory, and carefully excluded quoting anything derogatory and spent 30 min carefully responding to each important technical point.

But I'm not re-typing it.

Correct you did nothing wrong.

We never modify a post, it is either deleted or left intact. Once deleted, all quotes of the post also need to be deleted.
And since all quotes need to be deleted it would not be fair to leave the response to the quotes.

HiTech

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
I do think a higher wind cap would be more beneficial. 4K is pretty low. I think 6k would be a little better.

I agree with Nrsida about most planes being implemented (enough though it goes against my personal preference.) many players want to practice in late war planes for the MA. So i can see some players not wanting to join because of that. Just throw out the perk planes.

I don't get to play during the week nights, so please keep it up for this weekend and I'll definitely check it out.

:salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
I do think a higher wind cap would be more beneficial. 4K is pretty low. I think 6k would be a little better.

I agree with Nrsida about most planes being implemented (enough though it goes against my personal preference.) many players want to practice in late war planes for the MA. So i can see some players not wanting to join because of that. Just throw out the perk planes.

I don't get to play during the week nights, so please keep it up for this weekend and I'll definitely check it out.

How about 8k wind?

Bombers enabled too?

I assume no GV or field guns?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »

How is the stuff your asking for different then simply removing AI?

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »

HiTech

Hence a quick and dirty test without putting too much effort in.

It might be obvious that it just ends up in the same place, other than maybe a separate "Furball Arena" link off the main tab being more discoverable than hiding it in an arena that says something else.  It can be discussed if that has sufficient separate value.

In my previous removed post, I stated it is not my intention to run this permanently as a Custom Arena.  But it was an easy way to quickly throw something up to play with hands on without you having to touch the MP yet or setup any side arena.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
How about 8k wind?

Bombers enabled too?

I assume no GV or field guns?

More planes added.

Downdraft set to 8k.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »

HiTech

Also, to test if anything that doesn't say "Melee" can get any traffic no matter what you set up.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2020, 02:41:02 PM »

HiTech

He was setting up a good furball arena. Seems folks are chiming in to make it more like the MA or other current arenas.
4K is plenty of alt to furball.
Now they want LW birds.... but not all LW birds.

Already seeing the problem when you try to please everyone.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2020, 02:59:57 PM »
He was setting up a good furball arena. Seems folks are chiming in to make it more like the MA or other current arenas.

Well, I asked for chime-in so I'm not complaining.  Anything just twiddling settings I'm willing to try.  This is just intended to try some ideas, so I'd like to try several configurations.

Now any request to totally make a new terrain from scratch would be a little beyond the scope of this test, but I'll twiddle settings.

I have concerns about just enabling all planes.  I suspect in a day it would be all Yak3's and LA7. I don't have anything against those, but they can just get that in the Melee.

My other concern is that the theory of "if you just set it up like such and such, it will be packed with the silent majority that have been waiting for that."

Hmmmm maybe.  We see if we can even fill a Custom Arena no matter how you set it up.  If I see 10 players in there for a significant amount of time over the weekend, I'll be impressed.  Not that any configuration is wrong,  it's just that it is almost impossible to get this player base to click on anything other than what they've already been clicking on for 20 years.  They login and click on Melee link by rote muscle memory.

Personally, I'd like either a mid war setup or a rotating setup.  But that is just me.  I have an very low boredom threshold.

But this is a test.  I'm willing to try whatever.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »
If you wind up with enough people showing up, I expect you'll find it will be fairly similar to monday nights in the AvA especially with a low alt ceiling.  People will likely gravitate to the super twisty planes as there's less room to work in the vertical.

That would likely be desirable for many, although sometimes you might get a bit sick of the wall of brewsters and Ki43s. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 03:55:13 PM »

Well, I asked for chime-in so I'm not complaining.  Anything just twiddling settings I'm willing to try.  This is just intended to try some ideas, so I'd like to try several configurations.

Now any request to totally make a new terrain from scratch would be a little beyond the scope of this test, but I'll twiddle settings.

I have concerns about just enabling all planes.  I suspect in a day it would be all Yak3's and LA7. I don't have anything against those, but they can just get that in the Melee.

My other concern is that the theory of "if you just set it up like such and such, it will be packed with the silent majority that have been waiting for that."

Hmmmm maybe.  We see if we can even fill a Custom Arena no matter how you set it up.  If I see 10 players in there for a significant amount of time over the weekend, I'll be impressed.  Not that any configuration is wrong,  it's just that it is almost impossible to get this player base to click on anything other than what they've already been clicking on for 20 years.  They login and click on Melee link by rote muscle memory.

Personally, I'd like either a mid war setup or a rotating setup.  But that is just me.  I have an very low boredom threshold.

But this is a test.  I'm willing to try whatever.

In some regards I do think some of those planes like ki43s, brews, spit16s, la7s and yak3s should be disabled, maybe even the a6m2. Those planes are tiring to fight and we don't need runners.

I'm all for midwar planes only honestly... its just I do think it might limit players in the short run before it gets popular.

Can't always make everyone happy I guess.. will just have to see how it goes.

HiTech

Wellllll, honestly and its just my opinion, I'm not a fan of the match play map for furballing. I think its one of the problems even with TAs FFA. Its just too big.

I think the match play would work great on its own, where you can fight AI, and you can have team duels, or 1v1 duels. I think the map works great for that. There just needs to be some messaging on the MOTD so people know how it all works.

I just dont think it works great for free fight furballing because there is so much going on. which is why i think having a fighter bowl type arena strictly designed for quick action fights on a small map would lure in more players who know where to take off and know where the fight is.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
In some regards I do think some of those planes like ki43s, brews, spit16s, la7s and yak3s should be disabled, maybe even the a6m2. Those planes are tiring to fight and we don't need runners.

I'm all for midwar planes only honestly... its just I do think it might limit players in the short run before it gets popular.

Well, at some point someone will have to just write down the list for me.   :rofl

Of course you'll also have those who throw a fit that they can't fly their EW/MW plane fairly without getting smothered by late war monsters wanting the easy kill. 

What if I could rig up a rotation so that it swapped the plane set every hour?  LW, MW, EW?  Is that worth researching?  Or would that just piss off everyone?  :rofl

It may be moot.  I haven't seen two people in there simultaneously yet.  ;)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2020, 04:29:10 PM »
Well, at some point someone will have to just write down the list for me.   :rofl

Of course you'll also have those who throw a fit that they can't fly their EW/MW plane fairly without getting smothered by late war monsters wanting the easy kill. 

What if I could rig up a rotation so that it swapped the plane set every hour?  LW, MW, EW?  Is that worth researching?  Or would that just piss off everyone?  :rofl

It may be moot.  I haven't seen two people in there simultaneously yet.  ;)

Might consider doing some kind of scheduled thing like MNM, only not on Mondays. Maybe Wednesday Whimsy?  It being a designated time might get more people to show up at once.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »
Might consider doing some kind of scheduled thing like MNM, only not on Mondays. Maybe Wednesday Whimsy?  It being a designated time might get more people to show up at once.

Wiley.

Maybe.  But that would just make more sense for the AvA guys to do.

Maybe that is just the answer.  Does anyone go into the AvA anymore except for MNM?  Maybe they should just extend it and have "Every Night Madness" and they become the Furball Arena? ;)

I guess there is that Tank Night occasionally.  Maybe one night of "Every Night Madness" over the week is "Tank Madness Night"?

:noid
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:45:31 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 05:07:49 PM »
Maybe.  But that would just make more sense for the AvA guys to do.

Maybe that is just the answer.  Does anyone go into the AvA anymore except for MNM?  Maybe they should just extend it and have "Every Night Madness" and they become the Furball Arena? ;)

I guess there is that Tank Night occasionally.  Maybe one night of "Every Night Madness" over the week is "Tank Madness Night"?

:noid

The difference would be you could tweak your own settings.  MNM's got fairly specific settings.  1000 yard enemy icons, fog, the "silly" highrise buildings, low fuel burn.

Oh, that's one thing I'd suggest for the furball arena.  1.0 fuel burn so people can fly at 25%.

Having the AVA using MNM settings every day, I don't think you'd get people using it.  To me MNM is like FSO.  You get more people showing because you know it's scheduled.

MNM fluctuates between 10-25 people over the course of the hour and a half or so I stick around.  It's enough to keep it exciting, with 25 people it's kind of nuts, total knife fight in a phone booth.

Don't know what I'd do if I were you.  There are so many different opinions about what would make a good furball arena, and many people have "hard pass" settings.  Icons for example.  Late war planes for another.

I think an RPS would just piss a lot of people off, not a lot of people like to switch planes that much.  It would also just mean each set would have its best 3 planes for the job.

Wiley.

JG11