Author Topic: Furball Arena  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Furball Arena
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2020, 02:15:59 AM »
I will see you there....   :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »
the chicken or the egg paradox. 

The egg came first by millions of years, thanks to reptiles  :old:
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2020, 07:16:14 PM »
I am in the arena....

I was a little latter than I figured on being.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
The egg came first by millions of years, thanks to reptiles  :old:

HA.... the yolks on you.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 07:20:22 PM »
Reptiles is flooring with a reputation.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »
OK left the arena. Spent  just over 15 minutes circling map. No one there.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
OK left the arena. Spent  just over 15 minutes circling map. No one there.

Exactly. 

I'll leave that configuration up through the weekend, then I think that concludes the test.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
Yes the fact is that even the people who know it is there do not want to go there.

Of course not everyone can fly every night so who knows.

MNM is rocking so those of us who can make it Mondays have that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
I was in last night from 6:50 pm until 7:35 pm Eastern time. Was all alone.

Are you in a different time zone?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2020, 09:56:19 AM »
Yes the fact is that even the people who know it is there do not want to go there.

Yep.  That is what a test is for.

We tried it with what DemnSlyr thought would be an idea configuration, and we tried it on what you thought it should be.  Neither made a difference to the traffic.

Would it fair better if it was setup permanently and a link on the front tab?  Hmmm maybe.  It's not certain. We certainly didn't prove there was a community of furballers just chomping at the bit for a venue.

Bottom line is, it's not the same community of people now than it was back when Furball Lake was a thing.  So maybe that experience can not be easily recreated.

I had to laugh at the dance you and Bixby did.  That is so typical of a side arena trying to get traction.  Someone goes in and no one is there.  They fly around a bit but no one is there so they leave.  10 minutes later someone else comes in, but no one is there and there is nothing to do.  So they fly circles for a bit then leave.  Other look later and see no population in that arena, so they don't bother even going in.  LoL. 

WW1WF still gets a trickle of traffic, but it is specifically design so that no other players are required.  I still see a couple of regulars in there periodically like Pops04 and some others, so I guess repeat customers means they get some enjoyment out of it.

Any side arena that is totally dependent on herding in human cats, is very hard to sustain on a continuing basis when the easier path of clicking on the Melee button is there.

I still cannot fathom why in a community of "historical enthusiasts" the AvA can't at least put 10 players in a historical setup on most night.  But the pull of the Melee dark side is strong.  ;)  I'd be interested to know why the AvA stays empty except for a couple of non-historical events.  You can't capture bases there right?  Is it just that?  Why isn't that the place that guys who prefer historical Scenarios hang out in-between events?

Bixby, if you are interested in picking it up and running it on some kind of basis to try and drum up a clientele, I'll help you get setup.  Let me know if you are interested.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:08:03 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
I was in last night from 6:50 pm until 7:35 pm Eastern time. Was all alone.

Are you in a different time zone?

Central time. I was posting here the whole time I was flying in there.

I didn't even think about you being in a different zone.... lol
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:45:05 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »
Yep.  That is what a test is for.

We tried it with what DemnSlyr thought would be an idea configuration, and we tried it on what you thought it should be.  Neither made a difference to the traffic.

Would it fair better if it was setup permanently and a link on the front tab?  Hmmm maybe.  It's not certain. We certainly didn't prove there was a community of furballers just chomping at the bit for a venue.

Bottom line is, it's not the same community of people now than it was back when Furball Lake was a thing.  So maybe that experience can not be easily recreated.

I had to laugh at the dance you and Bixby did.  That is so typical of a side arena trying to get traction.  Someone goes in and no one is there.  They fly around a bit but no one is there so they leave.  10 minutes later someone else comes in, but no one is there and there is nothing to do.  So they fly circles for a bit then leave.  Other look later and see no population in that arena, so they don't bother even going in.  LoL. 

WW1WF still gets a trickle of traffic, but it is specifically design so that no other players are required.  I still see a couple of regulars in there periodically like Pops04 and some others, so I guess repeat customers means they get some enjoyment out of it.

Any side arena that is totally dependent on herding in human cats, is very hard to sustain on a continuing basis when the easier path of clicking on the Melee button is there.

I still cannot fathom why in a community of "historical enthusiasts" the AvA can't at least put 10 players in a historical setup on most night.  But the pull of the Melee dark side is strong.  ;)  I'd be interested to know why the AvA stays empty except for a couple of non-historical events.  You can't capture bases there right?  Is it just that?  Why isn't that the place that guys who prefer historical Scenarios hang out in-between events?

Bixby, if you are interested in picking it up and running it on some kind of basis to try and drum up a clientele, I'll help you get setup.  Let me know if you are interested.

Actually the 8k setup is not bad for that arena as there is some nice hills and such. I just figured you don't want a bunch of high folks as it takes longer to fight.

I liked the rolling hills. Nice touch.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »

Far as I know, bases are capturable.  It used to be in the backwhen, never saw anything to indicate that changed.  I don't know why the AvA doesn't get traffic, although I'm not sure what the current icon settings are either.  I know I hate no enemy icons and for a while long ago that was how it was, so I never bothered going in there.  At the end of the day there aren't enough people to support 2 ongoing war arenas IMO.

With your test arena, if you want to get people in to try it out what I would suggest is schedule something in there.  Like you said, people miss each other 10 minutes at a time on sporadic nights but if you've got something like Wednesday Whimsy where you and some other people are going to be in there at 9 Eastern, and you flog the hell out of it on channels and the board, you might get enough people in to have some fun and get some feedback.  I'm sure the feedback will be cohesive and it will be easy to come to a consensus.  :D

MNM gets around 15-20 people in it every Monday and that's enough to make it nuts.  10 or so is enough to keep it fun.

If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Actually the 8k setup is not bad for that arena as there is some nice hills and such. I just figured you don't want a bunch of high folks as it takes longer to fight.

I liked the rolling hills. Nice touch.

Well, that takes a second to tweak.  It's arena config so no terrain modification needed.  8k would give a 7 AGL cap.  Or maybe just no cap.  I think the dynamics of furballing would create it's own natural limit. 

It's a moot point if it's empty though. ;)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »

Well, that takes a second to tweak.  It's arena config so no terrain modification needed.  8k would give a 7 AGL cap.  Or maybe just no cap.  I think the dynamics of furballing would create it's own natural limit. 

It's a moot point if it's empty though. ;)

I think an alt cap is a good idea (possibly necessary) for a furball arena.

If you've got a furball with no alt cap, there will be someone who climbs above the furball so they can pick it.  Then there will be someone who climbs to go after the guy that's doing that, and when he doesn't find the other side's picker he will start picking.  Then it snowballs and pretty soon nobody's coming in under 10k.  You can watch that happen in the MA all the time.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11