Author Topic: Aircraft engine restarts while in the air  (Read 4801 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Aircraft engine restarts while in the air
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
Your comparing apples and oranges if you're trying to restart a feathered prop. If you only pulled the mixture to turn off the engine you don't have to unfeather the prop and simply do step 4 of the list on the right. And I cant think of any single engine fighters that have a feather able prop. I.E. the engine will always be turning. Simply pull mixture to cut off engine, note prop still turning. Put mixture back and power is restored.

Also you will note in our 38 if you shut off your engine you don't get an instant restart.

HiTech

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
Your comparing apples and oranges if you're trying to restart a feathered prop. If you only pulled the mixture to turn off the engine you don't have to unfeather the prop and simply do step 4 of the list on the right. And I cant think of any single engine fighters that have a feather able prop. I.E. the engine will always be turning. Simply pull mixture to cut off engine, note prop still turning. Put mixture back and power is restored.

Also you will note in our 38 if you shut off your engine you don't get an instant restart.

HiTech

Not inferring that he had an engine(s) feathered. But, there are multiple steps involved to do a restart, feathered or not. Point being, it’s not as simple as pushing the mixture forward in a P-38 to get a restart.  The mixture controls would have already been in Auto Rich since before engine start on the ground and confirmed in Auto Rich before takeoff.

It would be interesting to know what steps Olds actually took in the heat of battle, simply switching fuel tanks or more of the steps from the pilot manual.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:27:07 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 11:51:24 AM »
Not even a button press , simply push the mixture forward.

HiTech

I wouldnt know what was required and from what you are saying I guess since the props might still be spinning a throttle or mixture adjustment would do the trick,well after you select the proper fuel switch setting.... :devil

I still suspect Olds was gaming the game but then I wasnt there! :neener:

:salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »
This brings up another question.... Since this is being done in a stall, will the prop be turning? If not... how far will the plane have to fall before the prop spins up enough to restart?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 11:54:41 AM »

HiTech

If you have already answered this, I apologize, but figured the question would be best answered by you:

Simply put, does killing your engine have any effect in-game on plane performance, eg. in a stall/over the top maneuver?

Or would the plane perform the same maneuver whether or not the engine was 'off' as opposed to 0% throttle?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:57:31 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »
It would most likely affect pilot performance as the seat quickly fills with excrement Spikes.
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
This brings up another question.... Since this is being done in a stall, will the prop be turning? If not... how far will the plane have to fall before the prop spins up enough to restart?

Are you assuming the engine has been shut down or is at idle?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »
Are you assuming the engine has been shut down or is at idle?

They said the engine is being shut down.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
Again, it is not really about how easy or difficult it is to kill the engine and restart it (mixture, mag switch, whatever), it is about the act of doing it in a dogfight. If it is done in a video game, it is gamey, just like belly landing a perfectly good airplane or bailing out to avoid the long flight home.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
They said the engine is being shut down.

In that case, it’s possible that the prop would stop rotating.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 03:04:44 PM »
Again, it is not really about how easy or difficult it is to kill the engine and restart it (mixture, mag switch, whatever), it is about the act of doing it in a dogfight. If it is done in a video game, it is gamey, just like belly landing a perfectly good airplane or bailing out to avoid the long flight home.

What I wonder about is how many IRL engagements actually looked anything like a lot of what we do in the game?  Constant stallfighting sometimes at ridiculously low alt, riding the edge of stall constantly and pulling to 5.99Gs for extended periods...

But turning the engine off is just awful.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
What I wonder about is how many IRL engagements actually looked anything like a lot of what we do in the game?  Constant stallfighting sometimes at ridiculously low alt, riding the edge of stall constantly and pulling to 5.99Gs for extended periods...

But turning the engine off is just awful.

Fully agreed.

- oldman

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »

Just because you can't find record of pilots doing it during combat, doesn't mean that they didn't.  Even if it never happened in combat, doesn't mean that it couldn't.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2020, 04:56:33 AM »
Let those who need it do it. Last ditch effort to keep from being shot down. Not really a big deal.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »
Let those who need it do it. Last ditch effort to keep from being shot down. Not really a big deal.

It is nice to see someone do it in game though.  Shutting down their engine diminishes their potential maneuvering energy as an adversary and makes them more of a grape, an easier gunnery target.