Author Topic: Aircraft engine restarts while in the air  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Palace Cobra

• Copper Member
Re: Aircraft engine restarts while in the air
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that if I was a real fighter pilot in a real war there is no way I would be getting so slow that I am fighting gravity more than the enemy aircraft and I would certainly not be turning my engine off.  But as you point out, it is a game and I used to play it for fun.  Then everyone got into high speed passes and gun 'n run 3 on 1 type stuff.  More akin to real world I suspect.  Then it just got boring.

Paging Clarence Amerson. 

https://www.aerialcombat.co.uk/2016/11/six-miles-high-bud-andersons-roller-coaster-dogfight-victory.html

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
I have my own notion of who this is.  Be that as it may, I do wonder if he continues to play this game.

- oldman

What handle do you fly under Pcobra? Just curious.

🦗🦗  🦗🦗🦗 🦗
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:59:08 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2020, 11:23:31 AM »
Early Spits and Hurris with their carburetors had their engines cut out from gas starvation in -Gs, how would this compare to shutting an engine off and on.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2020, 11:26:54 AM »
When it happens in the MK1s it's unsettling and distracting as it hasn't been induced by the pilot.. Often swinging the fight away from the MK1s.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2020, 01:18:36 PM »
In a K4 atleast, turning your engine off as you are stalling at the top of a rope/hammerhead whatever you wanna call it, sure does help you flip it over faster and get a gun solution. Yeah it’s gamey but it wins fights. It’s not something you should do every turn or chance you get but it can and has worked very well for a lot of folks. I can’t prove it as I don’t have the YouTube filming skills. But I know the difference of fighting torque vs engine off and being able to flip to either side no problems whatsoever.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2020, 07:03:18 AM »
When it happens in the MK1s it's unsettling and distracting as it hasn't been induced by the pilot.. Often swinging the fight away from the MK1s.

Yeah that's for sure. But did the engine started again after it shut off? How did that work? I am intrigued.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2020, 09:14:50 AM »
Yeah that's for sure. But did the engine started again after it shut off? How did that work? I am intrigued.

Depending on how long it is fuel starved manual restart my be needed, taking time
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho