Author Topic: Looking toward getting an M1911  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Looking toward getting an M1911
« on: June 04, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
Due to reasons I cant say that will give me a temp vacation from the boards, I am looking toward investing in an M1911 for home defense. I have been looking at the S&W types, but cant really decide on between the classic .45 or the 9mm. I dont really care how pretty one is or any aftermarket things, just something simple and will do the job. Mainly looking for accuracy and gets the job done without a hassle
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Looking toward getting an M1911
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »
How much do you wish to spend?

How much experience do you have?

Why the 1911?

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
Why the 1911?

`Cause it's the best.  :D

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
What are the laws like for pistols in IL? I'd imagine it would be easier/more economical to pick up a 18.5" barrel 12/20ga shotgun or something...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »
As far as for home defense, you have many options as you are not lugging it around all day. No reason to limit size or weight because of that. It will be more according to what you are most comfortable with. You want something you will take down and practice with from time to time... take cost of ammo into consideration. A 45 or 9mm is fine if you are wanting to have a handgun. A shotgun with shortened barrel works fine too.

Do you live in a home or apartment? If a home is it close to another home? You will also need to think about loads so you have less chance of shooting through walls into other non-threat areas.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »
For me it would be a 1st pistol. Reason behind looking at the M1911 is that it appeals to me for one to start out on. The others out there dont really catch my interest. I would have to be concerned about something with too much power since there is another residential house within 100 feet. Here at home it is more of a "just in case" with all the insanity going on. Would really like to have something to protect the family with if things go the wrong way
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 10:43:23 PM »
How old is the family?
HiTech

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 11:06:51 PM »
I'd like to have a beautiful little PPK to keep in my nightstand. This way I can defend myself in the covers with minimal clothing.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
I'll chime in here too. For caliber I'd recommend 9mm. The ammo is about the cheapest thing you will find for practice outside of 22 rimfire. It's also widely available. The "serious" ammo is also available but at a higher price of course. Think CCI gold dot for serious stuff for one. The white box Winchester is fine for familiarization and informal practice. There are several internet providers for ammo you can find on ammoseek. I have used LAX ammo without any issues on 9, 40 and 45. You do need to practice more than once or twice a year or your "skills" will fall through the floor under extreme stress. I highly recommend some kind of professional training. Stoppages are no fun when things are bad.

As to brand, I wouldn't look at Kimber or even les Baer, not that they make bad guns, but because they are pricey and lean towards accuracy first (Baer) and flashy looks (Kimber) more than reliability. I do not recommend plain jane GI sights. Those are hardly better then the hog trough groove on old time 6 guns. S&W, Ruger even Rock Island or Springfield all make very serviceable 1911's, Rock Island less expensively and more GI like.

Look for good sights first as they are not cheap to buy later on. You can get a rough gritty trigger fixed fairly cheaply by most any gunsmith that has been in business more than a couple years. Fixed sights are most common but I like adjustable ones more so I can tailor the point of impact to the ammo I choose. I also recommend a "beaver tail" grip safety as the old narrow style on GI guns WILL bite your hand with a high grip.

I'll be happy to talk "turkey" over the phone as well. Send me a PM if interested.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »
How old is the family?
HiTech

Late 30's down to grade school

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »
I'll chime in here too. For caliber I'd recommend 9mm. The ammo is about the cheapest thing you will find for practice outside of 22 rimfire. It's also widely available. The "serious" ammo is also available but at a higher price of course. Think CCI gold dot for serious stuff for one. The white box Winchester is fine for familiarization and informal practice. There are several internet providers for ammo you can find on ammoseek. I have used LAX ammo without any issues on 9, 40 and 45. You do need to practice more than once or twice a year or your "skills" will fall through the floor under extreme stress. I highly recommend some kind of professional training. Stoppages are no fun when things are bad.

As to brand, I wouldn't look at Kimber or even les Baer, not that they make bad guns, but because they are pricey and lean towards accuracy first (Baer) and flashy looks (Kimber) more than reliability. I do not recommend plain jane GI sights. Those are hardly better then the hog trough groove on old time 6 guns. S&W, Ruger even Rock Island or Springfield all make very serviceable 1911's, Rock Island less expensively and more GI like.

Look for good sights first as they are not cheap to buy later on. You can get a rough gritty trigger fixed fairly cheaply by most any gunsmith that has been in business more than a couple years. Fixed sights are most common but I like adjustable ones more so I can tailor the point of impact to the ammo I choose. I also recommend a "beaver tail" grip safety as the old narrow style on GI guns WILL bite your hand with a high grip.

I'll be happy to talk "turkey" over the phone as well. Send me a PM if interested.

Ill keep the offer open :)

I was looking at a few by Rock Island the other night. Need to check out some training courses for safety also

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 02:34:42 AM »
While I love the 1911 (long live J.M. Browning) for just good old shooting fun.  I prefer something with a bigger magazine and no thumb safety as a defensive tool.  You should definitely buy a 1911, I think it's a great 1st handgun and then maybe buy another gun, and another, and another for defensive purposes.

If you do have your heart set on a 1911 for a first gun, the good news is you have a plethora of choices, and most of them are pretty good.  You've got the likes of Rock Island and Ruger on the bottom end of the price scale, mid-price would be stuff like Springfield, S&W and Colt, then you get into the higher end with Kimber, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson etc. Lastly you have the absolutely ridiculous priced stuff like Cabot.

Across the entire price spectrum you will not find much if any difference in reliability or accuracy (any handgun is usually more accurate then the user, especially in a pressure situation).  The difference is in the fine details and fit and finish. But again the good news is that many 1911 parts are interchangeable and there is a huge aftermarket.  You could buy the cheapest Rock Island, and then later swap in a better trigger, or safety lever, or barrel, or recoil spring, or grips, or main spring.. whatever you want.

I'm not gonna touch the .45ACP vs 9mm for self defense debate, it's a dead horse that's been beat for decades.  Except to say that a TRUE 1911 should be chambered in .45ACP as our firearms lord and savior John Moses Browning intended.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 07:39:04 AM »
What saggs said. I've been contemplating the Rock Island .45 with some Wilson Combat mods, but I like to tinker. For home defense you're probably better off going with a stock firearm and the same ammo your local police force uses. That way you don't get sued for planning a murder. Also, I think what Hitech was considering is a safe storage unit so the kids can't get their hands on it. Certainly, think about that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 07:55:34 AM »
While I love the look of a stock GI 1911, I wouldn't carry one without the beaver tail. The beaver tail not only protects you from getting "bit", but helps your muscle memory for holding the pistol the exact same way every time instead of trying to hold it lower to avoid injury. I think it feels a little more comfortable, too.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
Glock only.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek