Author Topic: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer  (Read 12710 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »
Also, if the fight was bad or your side was hording, you could switch countries and be stuck there for a maximum of 60 minutes.

I would give... not a body part, but maybe a few bucks to know the stats on how many people switched sides to even numbers all the way through the life of the game.  Since I've been here, it feels like an infinitesimal minority.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
I would give... not a body part, but maybe a few bucks to know the stats on how many people switched sides to even numbers all the way through the life of the game.  Since I've been here, it feels like an infinitesimal minority.

Wiley.
Who knows, but it was certainly nice to have the ability.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »

Wiley.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »
My apologies HiTech, if I may have touched a nerve.

Coogan

Calling me deaf because you don't like my choice is bs.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2020, 04:07:25 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I used to as well.  I remember 1 hour time change.  I liked it.  I miss it.  I'd switch a lot on weekends in non prime hours if I could.  But, HT sure doesn't seem like he's going to budge.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2020, 04:21:05 PM »
Who knows, but it was certainly nice to have the ability.

Probably an artificially low number due to the arbitrary time penalty for doing so.

The time limit you have to be with a country to share in it's perks for a map win seems perfectly reasonable to me.

But telling me I have to stay on the side with high numbers, keeping a game imbalanced, instead of switching to a side with low numbers, to move towards balance, for hours until some timer runs out, just seems nutty to me.  I might be missing something.

Maybe if all increases to ENY during my switch timer were delayed until my timer ran out also, that would seem fair.  Then it's like, hey, you can move, or stay and take an ENY penalty.  But if you hit me with a ENY penalty with no ability to move and get out from under it, seems unfair.

Me: "I don't like this ENY.  I'd rather switch and help the low side."
Game: "No.  I'm going to make you stay for hours more.  AND, I'm going to punish you for staying."

:rofl

$0.02.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:41:26 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
Here is what POTW is doing in PS2. This film has our squad in some of the action, none of it is staged, just normal game activity. Remember, we still pay for accounts and show up in force for squad night and FSO. In FSO POTW is one of the largest squads in that event. On MA squad night we have to change country to try and balance ENY. And shuffler how many terrains did you build trying to help this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS4rg7VfKtI

I tried it for a while.  It just didn't click for me.  Hey, different strokes for different folks.

Now if you really want to try the greatest game ever produced by Western Civilization  (Hey I put AH in the top 10!):

:rofl

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:28:07 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2020, 06:40:52 PM »
I find that most of the time the side with the lowest #s isn't always the side that is losing or being ganged, sometimes they are winning or the ones hoarding. The thing with AH is that its more about the #s in the fight in a specific area than it is overall #s.

Any player can game the game by logging in, seeing the current situation, and switching to hit their previous teams CV or bombers on the way to a base.

That's just the way it is.

The current situation normally takes about an hour. Once the base is captured, cv is sunk, or hangers go down, it can completely change the fight. Then if the other team attacks and all the players move to defend it, it can change the tide quickly. 

Personally, I think the majority of players who switch just want to be able to furball rather than be on the side with no fight or a huge hoard. 3 hours or 6 hours is arbitrary and its probably not going to make a difference in terms of the map changing. It will make a difference in keeping players in the game who can now be a furballer instead of a Oclubber in the tower contemplating on whether he/she should log off. 6 hours means you get to switch on time per day. If you make the wrong choice, too bad. If the tide of the fight changes, too bad. At least with 3 hours a player can change 2 times and keep the fights balanced. I find if a player cannot switch in order to stop a hoard, it unbalances the fight and makes it tough for any side to have fun. 1 side hoards, one side receives the hoard but doesn't have the furballers to fight it, the other side is left alone...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
We could see GV's from the air for one thing, which was a deterrant to run supplies to town. Which meant shooting down airplanes was required. Which in turn meant that more people were shooting at airplanes. Which made the game fun for people who like to shoot at airplanes in a combat flight simulator.

Also, if the fight was bad or your side was hording, you could switch countries and be stuck there for a maximum of 60 minutes.

Truth

And this was the norm well into 2012.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
2 or 3 hours...yes please..

When you play at a time when 5 additional players to a side can cause a domination of the map a big yes please...

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2020, 06:28:47 PM »
2 or 3 hours...yes please..

When you play at a time when 5 additional players to a side can cause a domination of the map a big yes please...

This is the main issue and the main reason why we need less time on the country side switch timer.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com