Author Topic: CH Assembled in Mexico.  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
CH Assembled in Mexico.
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »
In 22 years I have never received a defective CH products product.

I started with the Gameport Fighterstick Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals. I switched to USB gear when Mi¢ro$not Disable programing through the ps/ps2 Keyboard port in 2k/xp. It was later fixed but by that point I already switched to USB which was an eventuality any way as most systems use a built in sound card and no one makes a sound card with a gameport on it any more and no one makes a mother board with an ISA slot so No Gameport cards will work any more any way. Basically game port went the way of the dodo bird as it should have.

I eventually plan on upgrading to Virpil Gear but that may take awhile ..... a long while due to shortages and demand, which is sad because I have the Fundage for the upgrade.

All of my current CH gear is old enough to vote and has been showing wear. My toe brakes had a bad cable that kept breaking, My pov hat on my stick doesn't always work in the down position and my throttle has a 4 way hat button that feels off or loose.

So I have replaced my Hotas set (Fighter Stick, Pro Throt, pro Pedals) with new CH gear. I still have my Ch Yoke and throttle quadrant but they aren't that old. I plan on keeping my old Hotas as spare parts (Since CH no longer sells parts) for the new gear and eventually I will pass it all down to my youngest son (When I get Vipil, VKB, and/or Winwing gear - hopefully before I die.)

While CH products WAS a US based Company that made their stuff here in the US several years ago, back in 2008, they where purchased/acquired by APEM and have pretty much made CH a neglected red headed step child every since.

I don't think APEM, Inc gives half a lick about gamers let alone flight sim enthusiast. They haven't made a single improvement to CH's product line, let alone pushed any new designs. The stuff they sell now is the same stuff CH was selling back in 2008 most of which has been in production since around 2000ish. They stopped selling replacement parts in 2010 and dropped support of their control manager software around 2016. The control manager software is required to get the most out of your HOTAS like layered profiles and shift function. My original PRE-APEM CH gear was made and assembled in the US now the new gear reads "Assembled in Mexico" which is better than China or so I thought.

To bring this story to it's conclusion the 8 Way POV HAT on my new CH Pro Throttle is installed sideways .... as in Up is left, Left is down, etc. This shouldn't a big of a deal as I would just have to remap the POV HAT but that means I would have to remap EVERYTHING all my Control manager maps and even my mappings in games like DCS where I do the mapping through the game instead of macro mapping through Control Manager. Since CH has pretty much completely abandoned their customers I'm just going to send this one back to amazon for a replacement.

I honestly don't expect the new gear to last as long as the old gear even with keeping the old gear for spare parts.

I cannot in good conscious recommend CH products gear unless you are already invested in the CH ecosystem and in all honesty your probably going to buy better gear later any way as I don't see CH being in business much longer and APEM couldn't care less about gamers or flight sim enthusiast. As is the support just isn't there any more and hasn't been for some time (2008).

:joystick:  :bhead  :angry: :furious
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:44:54 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: CH Assembled in Mexico.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:36:13 AM »
Sadly we have been inundated with junk. When folks prefer cheap, we get cheap. Then some items are moved overseas to be produced cheap, but do not reflect that in their retail. Still just cheap junk.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
My last set of CH was the same, the delivered made in Mexico sticker is still on there and so is the broken Throttle slide I never sent back.

I also agree with your
I cannot in good conscious recommend CH products gear
at least for the last 5 years (I cant remember how old mine are now 4- 5 years)
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
It's a result of no longer being a family owned business.  However, CH Products had been on the edge of going out of business for a long time, even when I worked there in the '90's.  The only thing that kept CH alive was the OEM/Industrial part of the company, it's where all the money and effort went to.  That's what the French company was really after, not the commercial joysticks CH was making.

The only improvement to its commercial product line CH made was back in '97-'98 when CH was switching over from analog game port to USB joysticks.  The French company is not to blame for that, it was already part of the CH business culture.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 02:02:06 PM »
Hat switch on the front side of my throttle is starting to flake out. Would be a pita to get at just to make a temporary fix. Be great if I could pop out the actual hat like I can on my VKB stick but the CH hats are held onto the PCB with a screw. It'd involve almost a complete disassembly to get the grip apart to get at the screw to get the hat off. I'm afraid to even attempt it figuring something else will disintegrate in the process! Lacking any spare parts that makes that a no! It just has to hold on long enough for something better and obtainable is available, preferably from VKB. Don't see that happening sooner than next year tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
Got my VKB Gunfighter 3 yesterday. It’s a dream, only got in some offline play but I’m a believer now. I was looking at Virpil as well but I’m glad I went with VKB. Would look at them if you want something that’s available.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
I've had my original gunfighter for a couple of years now. Converted to a mk3 a few months ago. Best stick ever. Need that throttle like yesterday!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »
I've had my original gunfighter for a couple of years now. Converted to a mk3 a few months ago. Best stick ever. Need that throttle like yesterday!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The x52 pro throttle I have is definitely out of place now. Would like the VKB but not sure how long that will be or if I’ll be fast enough to get one.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 06:27:33 PM »
Got my VKB Gunfighter 3 yesterday. It’s a dream, only got in some offline play but I’m a believer now. I was looking at Virpil as well but I’m glad I went with VKB. Would look at them if you want something that’s available.

That's how I felt too - I actually got a Virpil stick first back when WpnX first mentioned them somewhere on the forums here, I think that was late 2017.  I got a first gen Gunfighter after that, then a couple MkII/RevB's, and now I have a GF3 and my original 1st gen GF still.  VKB makes an incredible stick, IMO if you plan on just using a stick out of the box on desktop and not mounting it, it's the best option right now. 

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 08:30:50 PM »
Crap :(

The replacement throttle sent by Amazon had the same problem in the opposite direction ..... Up was right ..... I guess the 3rd time is a charm ... if this one doesn't pan out I'm just going to call it and get a refund my existing throttle is not that bad it just has a 4 way index hat that feels a little off and I have Virpil Gear on Order.

I'm getting the impression there is at least one worker in Mexico that is directionaly challenged like an 2nd Lt.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 01:33:10 AM »
Ok it's now 3 in row with the same problem ..... I'm done with CH.

I'm sending this last one back for a full refund.

Again that is 3 CH PRODUCTS PRO THROTTLES that I have received defective with incorrectly installed 8 Way POV HAT switches.

I have virpil gear on order, I just wanted a good HOTAS set to pass down to my youngest son that would last him at least a few years.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 04:28:00 AM »
My CH gear is from not long after the change to USB. I am still using it.

Unfortunately the company did not do much more and sold out to a junk dealer.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 07:35:14 AM »
My CH gear is from not long after the change to USB. I am still using it.

Unfortunately the company did not do much more and sold out to a junk dealer.

Hey Ack Ack, what year was it again when CH sold to the French company, 2007 or  so?  I've got a set of gameport full CH, and a few sets of USB.  One was like yours Shuffler, I bought it right after CH introduced USB (it might have been a review set, or part of it was, I can't remember now, but I have a full set from right after release).  I have another set I bought when I was outside of Canada and had shipped to me in Jordan and that was around 2005.  Then I have another full set I found on a local Canadian used goods forum, I sniped for a very low price, and it was like brand new. 

All 3 sets work great, but internally you can see the difference when you open up the throttles and sticks between my newest set and the older sets, the care just isn't the same, at all. I was a long time proponent of CH gear for this game especially, where rapid constant movements are needed, as is precise aim.  I've been able to accurately replicate the force needed to move both the VKB and Virpil various sticks I have to almost exactly what the CH FS requires. This took some aftermarket springs for Virpil, VKB stock springs were OK for this with the options in the box.  On desktop this is what I prefer, but I use harder spring/force on deskmouts.  I'd never try to learn to fly this game in a deskmount now though, it'd be like starting over I think.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 12:48:22 AM »
Think it was around 2006-2007 that the Hayes family sold the company.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
Hat switch on the front side of my throttle is starting to flake out. Would be a pita to get at just to make a temporary fix. Be great if I could pop out the actual hat like I can on my VKB stick but the CH hats are held onto the PCB with a screw. It'd involve almost a complete disassembly to get the grip apart to get at the screw to get the hat off. I'm afraid to even attempt it figuring something else will disintegrate in the process! Lacking any spare parts that makes that a no! It just has to hold on long enough for something better and obtainable is available, preferably from VKB. Don't see that happening sooner than next year tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I was reading this I was checking my hat switches to see if any were loose, I made a discovery, apparently any SA on the issue has eluded me for years but if you push the tiny throttle joystick in  -- >  the led lights change from red to amber to green. I have no Idea what this accomplishes, I guess I have never really stared at the throttle while flying.

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!