Author Topic: GET RID of 3 Country war - It failed  (Read 6975 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: GET RID of 3 Country war - It failed
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
I am curious though, from a design perspective what is the goal of 3 sides vs 2?

One it provides a lot more targets and 2nd it provides a bigger variety to gameplay.

HiTech

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
One it provides a lot more targets and 2nd it provides a bigger variety to gameplay.

HiTech

:aok

The times you can crash a 2 country furball as a 3rd party can definitely make for good times.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »
:aok

The times you can crash a 2 country furball as a 3rd party can definitely make for good times.

I guess this comes down to maps and how they are laid out.  When its available, its the best action this game has.  Its rare however.

I always thought having the three countries intertwined within eachother would be a good substitute for having two sides.  Is it allowed in terrain creation rules?

But I dont have the time or skills needed to make a map. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
Bottlenecks can force big fights. If all the bases were mixed up, fights would be thinned out all over the place. There would be far more base sneaking.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2021, 11:09:08 PM »

HiTech

Almost 1 year later, adn this does not provide a bigger variety.

It still has  knits hitting bish,  and  rooks hitting bish.   Although side  balancing now enabled,  it  rarely has  rooks and knits hitting each other  unless they already own most of the bishop sides.

Someone posted that I post proof?   Log  online each night between prime time  3pm EST  -  8pm EST  and  beyond.   The only time the bish can combat the double gang is by logging online in the wee hours of the morning of  5am EST.

And nothing has changed since.

Bring a 2 color war and  2  - 1  odds won't exist
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2021, 09:43:14 AM »
Even though the Bish are fighting such unfair odds, if they keep trying they may someday win the map.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2021, 01:01:06 PM »
Almost 1 year later, adn this does not provide a bigger variety.

It still has  knits hitting bish,  and  rooks hitting bish.   Although side  balancing now enabled,  it  rarely has  rooks and knits hitting each other  unless they already own most of the bishop sides.

Someone posted that I post proof?   Log  online each night between prime time  3pm EST  -  8pm EST  and  beyond.   The only time the bish can combat the double gang is by logging online in the wee hours of the morning of  5am EST.

And nothing has changed since.

Bring a 2 color war and  2  - 1  odds won't exist

I call BS.

I logged on a 7 PM est, side were even and the bish had only one fight. DR7 and a few of his buddies were one side of a GV battle. All the rest of the rooks and knights where fighting in the NE. By 8-9 the Bish got together (mostly due to the Sick Puppies) to start grabbing base back from the Rooks. By 11PM the Rooks noticed that they had lost a bunch of bases, from 23% of bish bases down to 15% of bish bases and they came hard to defend A7. The battle was hard fought but but the Bish won. What this did was pull the Rooks off the Knit front so of course they are going to look for someone to fight and came against the Bish as well, seeing the Rooks no longer wanted to play with them.

By 1130 when I logged the Bish had ENY having 40+ players of the just over 100 players in the arena. I think an ME-262 was going for about 380 at the time  :eek:

Sure the Bish finally did get ALL the other players attacking them but when I logged it was around 1.5 vs 1. Any player complaining about being hit with such alopside set of numbers as that is a player who prefers to hide in the horde, not one that likes to fight and play the game. Just my opinion of course.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2021, 01:28:24 PM »
I call BS.

I logged on a 7 PM est, side were even and the bish had only one fight. DR7 and a few of his buddies were one side of a GV battle. All the rest of the rooks and knights where fighting in the NE. By 8-9 the Bish got together (mostly due to the Sick Puppies) to start grabbing base back from the Rooks. By 11PM the Rooks noticed that they had lost a bunch of bases, from 23% of bish bases down to 15% of bish bases and they came hard to defend A7. The battle was hard fought but but the Bish won. What this did was pull the Rooks off the Knit front so of course they are going to look for someone to fight and came against the Bish as well, seeing the Rooks no longer wanted to play with them.

By 1130 when I logged the Bish had ENY having 40+ players of the just over 100 players in the arena. I think an ME-262 was going for about 380 at the time  :eek:

Sure the Bish finally did get ALL the other players attacking them but when I logged it was around 1.5 vs 1. Any player complaining about being hit with such alopside set of numbers as that is a player who prefers to hide in the horde, not one that likes to fight and play the game. Just my opinion of course.

This!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2021, 10:39:56 AM »
-1, 2 sided wont fix anything. Leave it just the way it is. Do I like getting doulbe teamed? No. But we do the same thing (Bishop). There is NEVER a reason to take more than 25% of a countries bases, anything more than that is just harassing the opponent.  :bhead
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
-1, 2 sided wont fix anything. Leave it just the way it is. Do I like getting doulbe teamed? No. But we do the same thing (Bishop). There is NEVER a reason to take more than 25% of a countries bases, anything more than that is just harassing the opponent.  :bhead

Well you need a buffer. On a small map 25% may only be 1 or 2 fields more than necessary and easily reversed when you start focusing on the other country.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »
Well you need a buffer. On a small map 25% may only be 1 or 2 fields more than necessary and easily reversed when you start focusing on the other country.

Okay I'll give you that but you shouldn't need 4 or 5 bases, which to often is the case. You know what I mean Atlau, lol. I have gotten my squadies upset with me cause I was badgering them about overkill on knits/rooks.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »
Okay I'll give you that but you shouldn't need 4 or 5 bases, which to often is the case. You know what I mean Atlau, lol. I have gotten my squadies upset with me cause I was badgering them about overkill on knits/rooks.

Well in all fairness ill go out of my to deliver your presents when in that pesky t34

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2021, 07:42:51 PM »
Well in all fairness ill go out of my to deliver your presents when in that pesky t34

:rofl I know!!! I am so blessed. But I do try to make you work for it, I usually don't get hit with the first bomb. :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2021, 08:37:56 PM »
I completely understand Gldbbs point about rooks and knights only hitting bish. A few times during the snow days I off I was able to sneak In a few hours during the day. It was mind boggling and hilarious watching both teams completely attacking Bish. I called it out a couple of times on knights. I couldn't switch to the low # side cuz they were dominating bish while avoiding the other team. It happened multiple days. Atleast 2 -3 days. Finally about 5-6pm, the knights attacked rooks.

People that play the game like me have a hard time flying to a un occupied base by themselves in a fighter just to see if maybe a plane will roll. I normally only have about an hour to play when I can. I can go jabo a base, but that leaves me dead or crippled after 2 passes on a base trying to kill ack guns or what ever. Fighting with the ack and 88s in this game is my worst enemy and pisses me off the most. So this style of AH ain't for me.

I might switch to bish to help out, but generally they have more #s for the same reason. If they are getting severely hoarded, it can be tough for a player to be successful in that either, most of the time back fields are too damn far and it doesn't seem worth it to roll. Thats another problem I have.

I blame the 4am bish squad that comes in and wrecks maps early in the AM for a quick win while no one is on. They push both knights and bish back for the win, while the other 2 teams ain't doing nothing. Then when 8 am hits, if they haven't won, more players start logging in and fighting back. Naturally, both sides will fight back their bases from the bish. This creates "the ganging of the bish" effect.

I'm not sure what can fix this. But it's hilarious to watch 2 teams decimate the other while completely ignoring the other because of what one squad does early in the AM.

We need more maps. We need to get rid of big maps. Its terrible for off hours and kills the fights earlier in the night.

It doesn't matter how fast a map gets rolled. More maps is fun. Keeping those bases at 15 miles max is a big help.

2 teams is not the answer. Maps are.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:55 PM »
I blame the 4am bish squad that comes in and wrecks maps early in the AM for a quick win while no one is on. They push both knights and bish back for the win, while the other 2 teams ain't doing nothing. Then when 8 am hits, if they haven't won, more players start logging in and fighting back. Naturally, both sides will fight back their bases from the bish. This creates "the ganging of the bish" effect.

Right here is where the issue is.  The early morning Bishop crew comes on and they have fun rolling bases.  Then when the other teams get their numbers up they naturally want to get their bases back. Once the momentum gets going, it's keeps going and going and going, and it becomes hard to stop.  You really can't blame either party.

We have this wonderful playground, and we get to decide if we want to play tag or capture the flag or something else.  Most of the suggestions involve either changing Aces High into a different game, or forcing players to play the way someone else wants them to play.  Neither is a good solution.

My suggestion is for the squad leaders to guide their squads to a different course.  Once you have your bases won, squad leaders lead their squads to the other front, and spread the joy around.  Riftval used to come on the BBS and say, "Hey guys, we are doing a big bomber mission tonight.  Come and get us."  Stuff like this would be far more effective than trying to force players to play the way you want them to.

My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com