Author Topic: Have TE check filename length  (Read 395 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Have TE check filename length
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »
Either in the build, save, or at least "check for errors". 

The filename must be between 5-8 chars. 

If it is 9 chars, it will not report a problem saving, or during error check, or during build. 

Trying to open the terrain in offline mode for testing just barfs and loads CraterMA instead with no error msg giving you a clue why.

Strangely, a Staged mission will still work with the terrain just fine.

I had hit this once before so it finally dawned on me what the problem probably was.  I can't image how many novice map builders made this mistake and threw their hands up in frustration.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Have TE check filename length
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 06:37:47 AM »
Interesting.  I've been developing a terrain using 4, 5 and 6 character file names, and they all seem to function the same.  Where is the file name requirement specified?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Have TE check filename length
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »
Nevermind.  Found it in Easyscor's manual:

"A terrain name can be a maximum of 8 characters. The file name must be all lower case letters, a-z, and number(s), no special characters or spaces. Otherwise it won't upload to the HTC server. The TE will accept some illegal characters, and the terrain might even play offline. However, the uploader silently rejects terrains with illegal terrain names."
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?