Author Topic: Thrustmaster's new controllers  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Thrustmaster's new controllers
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:57:02 AM »
TM was going to release their new controllers on the 19th, but did it today I see. 

They've gone with new "Airbus" controls, obviously targeting the upcoming new MS FS game/sim coming in 2020 (and named 2020).

I'm not really disappointed, if TM came out with new combat controllers I'd never have bought them after the TM Warthog gimbal fiascos.  In their video below they used the words "unlimited lifespan" describing these new controls.  They better be prepared to back that up, as hundreds of WH users I know over at another sim have had their gimbals fail, and I've had 3 myself.

Video Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4zRLN8eJSQ&feature=emb_logo
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:00:11 AM by Gman »

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Thrustmaster's new controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Looks like they changed the color of the t16000

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
That's the first ambidextrous throttle I've ever seen!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »
That's the first ambidextrous throttle I've ever seen!

You're right it is.  In the video TM shows some other hardware they'll be releasing along with the Stick/throttle.  I wonder if the stick will have higher quality building materials/tech/etc than the T16000 which atlau pointed out it greatly resembles.  Not knocking the T16000, in fact the base TM sticks and hotas are excellent IMO, it's just their craptastic WH gimbal that I have issue with.

General Aviation sim guys in comments on TMs Youtube channel and other forums seem pretty excited about this, so I guess it's good for guys who focus on that type of PC flying. 

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 12:04:30 PM »
The t16000 is a decent stick for the price. Might be better suited durability wise for an Airbus simulator vs AH players beating up their joysticks

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
The t16000 is a decent stick for the price. Might be better suited durability wise for an Airbus simulator vs AH players beating up their joysticks
In that case I'm an Airbus pilot rather than an AH player! All my sticks have been sub 50 and each of them has lasted at least five years!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »
Ha I've had some fail in 3 months! Average for a t16000 for me is a year.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 06:03:29 AM »
gman in your opinion whats the best stick for sitting on the desk with limited room, It's all very confusing with virpil / gunfighter etc.  Don't want a warthog. 

My 10 year old CH combat stick has seen better days.  Still not alot wrong with it but need options as I don't want another one.   :joystick:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:26:53 AM »
My FBO says they won't be out until Thanksgiving.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 08:43:42 AM »
gman in your opinion whats the best stick for sitting on the desk with limited room, It's all very confusing with virpil / gunfighter etc.  Don't want a warthog. 

My 10 year old CH combat stick has seen better days.  Still not alot wrong with it but need options as I don't want another one.   :joystick:

Bruv have you looked at the gladiator k?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 12:44:16 PM »

The cool thing about VKB is that they offer a small base to replace the stock base if you have limited desk space.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 02:10:36 AM »
https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-gladiator-k/

this one?   that looks pretty similar button wise layout.  Need the little side throttle for RPM.   What is with the Rudder pedal connector?   

these pedals do they have toe brakes or not as it says "Virtual" ?

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-t-rudder-pedals-mk-iv-2/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 02:17:32 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:08 AM »
VKB pedals don't have toe brakes. In order to get differential braking you map a key or my MCG-Pro grip has a lever on it to activate braking. You still control that with the pedals but that's what they mean by virtual. I have Crosswinds pedals so this isn't a problem. Highly recommend the VKB stuff. It's really well built by people that seem to have a passion for this stuff. The software can be a bear to get used to but Jaysus it goes on forever!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 02:52:55 AM »
Ha I've had some fail in 3 months! Average for a t16000 for me is a year.

you must be like me, spend to much time beating your joystick.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 03:49:41 AM »
For desktop, VKB Gunfighter IMO - I haven't tried the smaller base AckAck mentioned,  I don't find the stock base footprint all that much larger than the CH base, plus most of it is very, very thin and flat.  Nice option though, Virpil does have a universal small footprint plate too that works on the Warbrd (and the T50, but you can't really use it on a desktop as it's almost a 1/2 foot too high).

The Virpil Warbrd is an option too, IF you have a TM stick you can use the Warthog handle on it, and that IMO is a really great option too, as the stock springs in that base + the weight of the metal TM stick = a very "CH like" feel in terms of moving the stick around (a bit more firm, not much, and a more precise movement back to center).  There is another desktop option now for a handle/grip (Alpha), as the T50, Delta, etc are all way too high on a Warbrd on desktop IMO, and the WW2/F5 stick is limited in hats/buttons. 

You can use TM grips on the VKB GF too, but you need an adapter (really hard to find for a long time - 2 years- but they've been in stock lately).  The stock grip is great with the VKB though, so IMO there really isn't much need to get something else unless you want options for other types of planes/space or whatever.  The connector VKB uses IMO is 10x better than the TM style used by Virpil too, but I know why Virpil went that route, just for commonality and simplicity.

Cost wise is pretty similar, the only handle/grip from Virpil that works well as a desktop handle (due to height mainly) is the new Alpha on the Warbrd, and that setup is $15 USD more than the VKB GF3 with its stock handle/grip. 

Also, regarding VKB pedals, if you can live without brakes, they are IMO the most accurate of all the custom pedals out now (I have 3 sets of Slaw, MFG Xwinds, Ace2 Virpil, and the VKB pedals (earlier gen than what's out now, but close enough).  You move the VKB pedals from your ankle more than from your leg/knee/hip, which is a more small motor skill motion, and gives a bit more precision (obviously personal pref).  They are the least expensive as well, smaller footprint too (compared to Virpil's new peds, which are roughly the same footprint as the Xwinds and Slaws).

VKB GF2 on my desktop with stock base (putting this one up for sale once I get another GF3 in to replace it as I won't need 2 GF2 then).

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:11:23 AM by Gman »