Author Topic: Microsoft Edge  (Read 753 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Microsoft Edge
« on: June 21, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
So, what do we think? Has Microsoft come up with a decent browser, or is it the next coming of a plague?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Microsoft Edge
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »
What's changed? Has it dropped the tabloid rag sheet look?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:52:43 AM »
I see no reason to use Edge. Microsoft has never come up with a decent browser.

Also, wrong forum.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
What's changed? Has it dropped the tabloid rag sheet look?

It looks a lot like Chrome to me now. It does seem to load pages quicker, but I have no idea whats running in the back with it.

Also, wrong forum.

As I was asking a "general" question, I thought here was a good place to put it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
Yep, it looks a lot like Chrome now which is no wonder since it's based on Chromium alike Chrome. It even accepts Chrome add-ons. Note that there's a Chromium browser available as well. One might think that the plain Chromium would be the best choice but it's not that simple: Chromium lacks some features Chrome and Edge have, also it relies on some services from Google so thinking that one would gather data about you less than the others may not be exactly true.

As before, Microsoft has taken a good existing product and modified it as their own. Time will tell how well whether they keep it fluent and reliable or add unnecessary features until it becomes bloatware.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:47 PM »

Also, wrong forum.

I keep Edge and Explorer for situations where I need my browser in "Drunken Virgin at a Roman Orgy" mode.

Ironically in the later days of windows 95 (95c to be specific) Explorer had the edge over Netscape at the end of the browser wars. They quickly lost that edge when Netscape guys formed Mozilla and released Firefox, Google releasing Chrome was the nail in the coffin for Microsoft Browsers.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 02:21:46 PM »
It looks a lot like Chrome to me now. It does seem to load pages quicker, but I have no idea whats running in the back with it.

As I was asking a "general" question, I thought here was a good place to put it.

You know this forum is for questions related to AH.
Should of put this in Hardware and Software, or Technical Support.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »
For work, I use Edge almost always.  It's millions of miles better than IE, but then, try to work with Microsoft server products, you're forced to use IE.  Go figure.

For home and most things, I use Chrome.  However, the more addons you use, the more of a memory hog Chrome can be.   Same with Firefox. 

I'm not happy with any current browser.  They all are a PITA!   :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead

But, like a PC or a MAC, they have their applications and uses.  Just like opinions and "holes".  Everyone has them and there are many!
Uncle Fred