Author Topic: Beaufighter  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Majors

• Copper Member
Beaufighter
« on: June 22, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »
Hi Mates

Here I am again.  Why can't we get a Beaufighter??  Aircraft served in every theater in WW2.  Much longer than some of the planes we have.  Same thing for the Bristol Beaufort Torpedo Bomber.  Could use these.

What the heck, Hitech!!!

Meanwhile, cheers

Majors
249RAF (Ret)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Beaufighter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:14:32 PM »
Yes. This would be a great addition for events.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:35 PM »
The Mosquito fighter, bomber and recon variants served in every theater the entire length of the war and then some just like the Beaus and had superior qualities. Unless you can make a case for events that can't run without the Beaufighter then it appears that this request isn't that vital. Not when there isn't an Italian bomber or tank modeled yet.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 03:33:53 PM »
The Mosquito fighter, bomber and recon variants served in every theater the entire length of the war and then some just like the Beaus and had superior qualities. Unless you can make a case for events that can't run without the Beaufighter then it appears that this request isn't that vital. Not when there isn't an Italian bomber or tank modeled yet.

One word: Balance.

You can't properly balance a Mosquito until late war in an event.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:46:10 PM »
One word: Balance.

You can't properly balance a Mosquito until late war in an event.

Yes you can. That's a matter of numbers. Besides, you can't measure event planes with a duel mindset. Plug the event holes that really need it, not sorta want it. Give me an example of an event that can't be historically represented with the Beau missing as compared to the SM. 79 Sparviero.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
Yes you can. That's a matter of numbers. Besides, you can't measure event planes with a duel mindset. Plug the event holes that really need it, not sorta want it. Give me an example of an event that can't be historically represented with the Beau missing as compared to the SM. 79 Sparviero.
I think over the past few years we've really stretched the imagination of substitute airplanes more than anyone. We've used the Lancaster as a Short Stirling sub, the C.205 as a MiG-3 sub, and the Yak-7b as a D.520 sub. We also somehow managed to balance a Boston III against an SBD. A Mossie in place of a Beaufighter though, would be very, very rough.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:59:55 PM »
I think over the past few years we've really stretched the imagination of substitute airplanes more than anyone. We've used the Lancaster as a Short Stirling sub, the C.205 as a MiG-3 sub, and the Yak-7b as a D.520 sub. We also somehow managed to balance a Boston III against an SBD. A Mossie in place of a Beaufighter though, would be very, very rough.

You're missing the point. The Mossie fits in theater and isn't a sub. However, you have given some better options of event craft missing than the Beau.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 04:23:51 PM »
You're missing the point. The Mossie fits in theater and isn't a sub. However, you have given some better options of event craft missing than the Beau.

Yes, it fits in theater, but how can you have a balanced even where a target aircraft is faster than the fighters expected to intercept it?

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 06:44:29 PM »
Yes, it fits in theater, but how can you have a balanced even where a target aircraft is faster than the fighters expected to intercept it?

Are events featuring the Arado particularly unbalanced or do the event designers level the playing field, somehow? AH isn't really chess, despite the chess piece side names. There will be advantages and disadvantages to consider. There will be design factors implemented.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »
What's wrong with adding the Beaufighter? Nothing, however it is Hitech's decision. Personally I think it would be a great addition. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
What's wrong with adding the Beaufighter? Nothing, however it is Hitech's decision. Personally I think it would be a great addition. :cheers:

So the rationalization is 'what's wrong with?' If so, you might consider completing the sentence. What's wrong with the Beaufighter over Mig-3, Sm.79 or TBD Devastator? The answer's simple.

Events are in greater need of aircraft that are actually needed.

Other than that, it adds nothing to the MA.

:cheers:

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 07:29:51 PM »
So the rationalization is 'what's wrong with?' If so, you might consider completing the sentence. What's wrong with the Beaufighter over Mig-3, Sm.79 or TBD Devastator? The answer's simple.

Events are in greater need of aircraft that are actually needed.

Other than that, it adds nothing to the MA.

:cheers:

I did complete the sentence, you just did not think the question was complete. Then you wrote your question, and answered it. All you needed to do was provide an answer. Not sure what the put down questions was for.  :rolleyes:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
Are events featuring the Arado particularly unbalanced or do the event designers level the playing field, somehow? AH isn't really chess, despite the chess piece side names. There will be advantages and disadvantages to consider. There will be design factors implemented.

Yes, the Ar 234 can break an event because of it's speed, but they are usually balanced by being used by very few pilots and the Axis also having a much slower attacker(190F-8) or Ju 88) The Ar should not be the bread winner for the Axis, just used to make the overall attack capability of the Axis competitive.

What the Beaufighter would bring is a heavy fighter/bomber into early and mid war events where it could be set against a Bf 110 in that role. You can't do that with a Mossquito.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:49:16 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 07:53:53 PM »
There is a very good reason that implementation of the Ar 234 is pretty much avoided when designing events.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 09:44:08 PM »
The more iconic aircraft the better.  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho