Author Topic: Joystick Advice  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Rezdog

• Zinc Member
Joystick Advice
« on: June 24, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
Howdy all,

Just wondering what's popular with the kids and cool cats these days for sticks?  When I re-subbed recently I ordered a cheaper stick from amazon just to test the waters with.  Its... shall we say "OK" but I definitely got what I paid for with it, about as smooth as tacs all around.  I think the best stick I owned was an old MS Sidewinder, nothing so far has compared to that. I then reluctantly graduated to a Saitek Cyborg Evo.  Neither stick is produced anymore new afaik.

Any suggestions before I commit to something new would be greatly appreciated.

Good flying <<S>>

RezDog,
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 02:36:07 PM by Rezdog »
RezDog
Unteroffizier - Jagdflieger
I/JG3 Udet (Hoenjager) C.O. Twodogs5

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Joystick Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 03:07:35 PM »
Depends on your budget and what you want IMO. A lot use the Thrustmaster T16000 and it's pretty cheap. Saitek went by the wayside and was bought by Logitech, so they don't produce nearly the selection of sticks as they used to. They have 'old faithful' like the X52, but I'm not sure how the Logitech quality one is compared to the old Saitek one, I bought the Saitek X52 Pro recently and it is a nice step up from my X52 of 6-7 years.

Most of the Logitech HOTAS ones seem to be geared toward space sims like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, at least by their looks.

Then you jump into the higher quality stuff like Virpil but at a much higher price.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Rezdog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »
Depends on your budget and what you want IMO. A lot use the Thrustmaster T16000 and it's pretty cheap. Saitek went by the wayside and was bought by Logitech, so they don't produce nearly the selection of sticks as they used to. They have 'old faithful' like the X52, but I'm not sure how the Logitech quality one is compared to the old Saitek one, I bought the Saitek X52 Pro recently and it is a nice step up from my X52 of 6-7 years.

Most of the Logitech HOTAS ones seem to be geared toward space sims like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, at least by their looks.

Then you jump into the higher quality stuff like Virpil but at a much higher price.

Rodger that, thanks for the info.  I guess one can make just about any stick with enough functions work, but when you find the right fit makes for a much nicer ride  :airplane:

Best,
RezDog

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
I use the Logitech X56, I am very happy with it. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »
Don't look at me... I still use a tin can and string for communications.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
Howdy all,

Just wondering what's popular with the kids and cool cats these days for sticks?  When I re-subbed recently I ordered a cheaper stick from amazon just to test the waters with.  Its... shall we say "OK" but I definitely got what I paid for with it, about as smooth as tacs all around.  I think the best stick I owned was an old MS Sidewinder, nothing so far has compared to that. I then reluctantly graduated to a Saitek Cyborg Evo.  Neither stick is produced anymore new afaik.

Any suggestions before I commit to something new would be greatly appreciated.

Good flying <<S>>

RezDog,

My brother in law loved his sidewinder and had it for years. Once it died for good he brought the T16000m and hasnt looked back. He says it is very close to his old sidewinder.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
Watch out for Fugitive.... he wears a bandanna even when there is no covid.    :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
I had a Saitek X52 for 8 years, was great for the money. They’re now made by Logitech and bought a X52 Pro to replace it, it lasted about 8 months and going AFK and going into autopilot was a coin flip if the stick would random spike enough to kick off autopilot and crash. Wouldn’t suggest those models.

Replaced it with a VKB gunfighter mk3 Modern Combat Edition with MCG Pro grip. Best purchase I’ve made for flight sims, got it with the long extension and their stronghold base. Not cheap.

Offline Rezdog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 07:52:26 PM »
Right on fella's,

Now I'm gonna have to try em all hah, including that tin can of Shuffler's :cheers:   I"m sure any of them are better than what I'm going with now, you push the buttons and sometimes they work and sometimes its just suggestion lol. But I still get misty eyed for the sidewinder, I'm gonna have to look up that T16000m.

Thank you gents, I shall do my part for the online economy soon  :D
RezDog

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 09:56:55 PM »
I recommend VKB sticks and rudder.  Far superior to any of the major stick makers.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 07:16:32 AM »
T1600 if on a budget

Warthog if you are not

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 07:32:01 AM »
I'd look at the new vkb gladiator.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »
For a few dollars more go for the VKB Gladiator with grip (handle) of choice. They make several, with or without twist. For a lot of dollars more get the Gunfighter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 08:58:16 AM »
Hate to say it, especially since I used to work there, but stay away from CH Products.  The company is no longer what it used to be and ancient technology compared to most other joysticks.  It is a waste to spend money on an 8bit controller these days.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 12:54:08 PM »
What sets the VKB Gladiator apart? How much tension in the throw? I once owned a Warthog which hurt my wrist after 30 minutes...way too much tension. OTOH I had a Fighterstick for many years, which had very little. The T16000 seems to be a happy medium (and very smooth responces) but will no doubt hit the trash bin sooner than later due to plastic parts.