Author Topic: Joystick Advice  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Joystick Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »
No problem. Just swap out the springs to something lighter. Don't know how light the stock Gladiator is as I have the Gunfighter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 03:25:51 PM »
I would recommend the Thrustmaster 16000 series as well. Try to get the top end version of it. Its got high precision sensors.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »
What sets the VKB Gladiator apart? How much tension in the throw? I once owned a Warthog which hurt my wrist after 30 minutes...way too much tension. OTOH I had a Fighterstick for many years, which had very little. The T16000 seems to be a happy medium (and very smooth responces) but will no doubt hit the trash bin sooner than later due to plastic parts.

The gladiator had a lighter throw than the t16000.

Once you get used to it I prefer it. I didnt like the kg2 grip because of the lack of buttons and the grip was angled for center mount (i fly with the stick to the side of my keyboard). Now that they have the new grip inthink it's worth a look.

I

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 01:33:22 AM »
Best Advice I can give you is check reviews and do your research. Take into account your hand size, and your preferences; What's good for some one else may not be good for you.

Things to consider in your research.

Ergonomics, Quality, Support, Software, Cost, and Application (What type of games do you play) to name a few.

Be weary of CH products (Read my "CH Assembled in Mexico." post on this board and "CH Control Manager Nightmare." on the "Technical Support" Board.)
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 02:50:38 AM »
I like CH Products sticks.  I like the feel over other sticks I've tried.

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 06:46:26 AM »
I love my Warthog stick but recently I swapped out my Warthog throttle for a Thrustmaster TWCS because it has a few functions the warthog is lacking. 

Thrustmaster T1600 stick seems pretty good too.  It uses HALL effect sensors instead of POTS so it shouldn't wear out over time like most sticks do.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 01:08:01 PM »
I just received a VKB Gladiator K on Friday.  It's a significant upgrade from my X-52.  Damn thing gave up after only 13 years because I bumped the connector and broke it.  :D

I love pretty much everything about the Gladiator K, the only thing that is suboptimal is the buttons click a lot harder than the X-52, which can really throw off my gunnery.  Fortunately, I had been toying with moving my fire all guns button to my throttle, and it works very well.

Other than that, I'm loving it.  More buttons on it than I know what to do with.  I had always felt that people were overstating the advantages of a more precise stick.  I now know differently.  It's really improved my ability to control the aircraft.

As long as it doesn't wear out quick, I'm very happy with the purchase.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
It shouldn't. The software is kind of a bear to work with but once you get the hang of it you'll see it's super awesome too. It'll do things with all those buttons you wouldn't think possible or wished you could do before.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 02:39:12 PM »
Yeah.  I had a pretty unholy combination of macros on my X-52.  Bit bummed that I can't use button combos between my x52 throttle and the VKB stick, but maybe my throttle can have an unfortunate incident when VKB releases their throttle.   :D

The profiling software looks deep.  Had to laugh, when I was googling some stuff, I saw a comment about VKB being a company that was created by a group of engineers.  The first time I opened their profiling software my first thought was, "It certainly was."  It's a bit inscrutable.

When I get around to it, I'm likely going to at least work out modes, but at the moment I'm just trying to retrain my brain to one new set of buttons to push for now.  So very many buttons...

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
Yeah.  I had a pretty unholy combination of macros on my X-52.  Bit bummed that I can't use button combos between my x52 throttle and the VKB stick, but maybe my throttle can have an unfortunate incident when VKB releases their throttle.   :D

The profiling software looks deep.  Had to laugh, when I was googling some stuff, I saw a comment about VKB being a company that was created by a group of engineers.  The first time I opened their profiling software my first thought was, "It certainly was."  It's a bit inscrutable.

When I get around to it, I'm likely going to at least work out modes, but at the moment I'm just trying to retrain my brain to one new set of buttons to push for now.  So very many buttons...

Wiley.

The actual programming of VKB sticks with their software is quite easy, the problem is the interface.  Let me know if you need some help.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
Will bear that in mind. Thanks for the help gents.

Wiley.

JG11