Author Topic: Why Aces High should consider the route of 'alternate reality'  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Why Aces High should consider the route of 'alternate reality'
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »
He could change number of troops toncaptuuee or go goon only again. Hangar hardness etc. Sorry rules was not the right term.

Looking back, do you really think that drives a draw? Or does that placate some of the regulars?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2020, 09:09:00 PM »
Looking back, do you really think that drives a draw? Or does that placate some of the regulars?

Unfortunately I think Arlo's right.

For reasons that I am sure I don't know, there is a large portion of people who get told "You have two choices.  You can soar through the air in an amazing high performance fighter aircraft at half the speed of sound nimbly avoiding attack while obliterating your enemies with withering cannon fire and bombs.  Or, you can get into this little metal box and hide behind a tree and wait to be bombed or catch a bullet out of nowhere."

If it went that way a lot of people would be thinking "It's only aircraft?  Nope."

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 06:26:30 AM »
Dont think we need more planes. We only need a p51, spit, yak, n1k, f4u, 190...

That's all that flies in the MA :)

Not true

But those are the planes most used and should be restricted for newbies or cost anyone with any skill 10x the perks they do today

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 07:10:02 AM »
But those are the planes most used and should be restricted for newbies or cost anyone with any skill 10x the perks they do today

The more I see this, the sillier it sounds (and it seemed pretty silly from the start).

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 10:47:16 AM »
Not true

<S>

Eagler

they cost zero perks.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
they cost zero perks.

Zero times ten, carry the zero ....  :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
Not true

<S>

Eagler

Those that need them will fly them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »
Those that need them will fly them.

As will those that want them. But, somehow, punishing the vets is needed to 'save the game' (promote variety). If someone wants to suggest a method to promote variety then ask Dale if there can be a specific 'plane of the day' that will earn more perks just for selecting it.

"Ladies and gents, today's planes of the day are the P-40 E and C.202. Both of these planes are 'early war' planes. All kills will earn double perk points (experienced pilots would be able to take advantage of this without it causing a game collapse) and every 5 minutes in the air in one will earn 2 perk points (so even the new players benefit). If the plane is eligible to earn perks in attack mode (the C.202 cannot) then points earned destroying objects is doubled (but the flight time perk points will still be fighter perks)."

Alternatively, mid-war planes used as planes of the day could earn bonus perks at 1.5 the normal rate and 1 perk per 5 minutes of flight.

That might mix up things a bit without punishing veteran players.

The ratio I suggested is on the fly and might could use tweaking.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
I would be fine with a MW arena.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
As will those that want them. But, somehow, punishing the vets is needed to 'save the game' (promote variety). If someone wants to suggest a method to promote variety then ask Dale if there can be a specific 'plane of the day' that will earn more perks just for selecting it.

"Ladies and gents, today's planes of the day are the P-40 E and C.202. Both of these planes are 'early war' planes. All kills will earn double perk points (experienced pilots would be able to take advantage of this without it causing a game collapse) and every 5 minutes in the air in one will earn 2 perk points (so even the new players benefit). If the plane is eligible to earn perks in attack mode (the C.202 cannot) then points earned destroying objects is doubled (but the flight time perk points will still be fighter perks)."

Alternatively, mid-war planes used as planes of the day could earn bonus perks at 1.5 the normal rate and 1 perk per 5 minutes of flight.

That might mix up things a bit without punishing veteran players.

The ratio I suggested is on the fly and might could use tweaking.

early and mid war earn perks higher than late war. no need to increase it.  as people right now hardly fly them. giving them more perks only helps the few that already fly them and i really don't know any of them that is hungry for perks.

giving perks for just flying would encourage more use but not in the way you think.

when i started i flew mainly zekes and spitfire.  i can't remember how many times i was told to get out of the trainers by some players that now want more use of these trainers. the irony.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
giving perks for just flying would encourage more use but not in the way you think.

Flying within icon range of an opponent, then.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »
Flying within icon range of an opponent, then.

yup i can do circles around you all day long.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
yup i can do circles around you all day long.

Mmmmok.  :headscratch:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 05:17:24 PM »
Mmmmok.  :headscratch:

i would come in high over a furball and just do circles till i ran out of fuel then five in and fight to the death.

semp

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
i would come in high over a furball and just do circles till i ran out of fuel then five in and fight to the death.

Or maybe you'll be able to stretch it out to ten, earning 4 perks instead of 2. *ShruG* Maybe there'll be times when you fly toward the fur and you're intercepted or surprised when you get there by an opponent that is higher than you or even co-alt (like, well, happens now). In either case, you would have to fly to opponents and remain within icon range.

Now, I am open to better suggestions (though it's Dale's opinion that counts). When it comes to enticing more variety in the main, how would you do it? Punish the vets by inflicting perk cost on the popular rides (even if they cost no perks to low scoring players) or reward all players for taking a less popular one? Or, do you envision another .... better .... way?

(Others have suggested rolling plane sets which was considered a potential player turn-off. Some would like to see the mid-war arena return but even when we had the population for separate main arenas that were broken into ew/mw/lw most everyone flew lw.)