Author Topic: Why Aces High should consider the route of 'alternate reality'  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Why Aces High should consider the route of 'alternate reality'
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
I flew MW a lot. Best plane set in the game.Lots of good fights too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 06:29:01 PM »
I flew MW a lot. Best plane set in the game.Lots of good fights too.

I understand that, Shuf. You and a dozen others, self included.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 09:55:16 PM »
I understand that, Shuf. You and a dozen others, self included.

About 20 to 30 and sometimes more. Even at 20 it was great fights.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 10:41:44 PM »
About 20 to 30 and sometimes more. Even at 20 it was great fights.

At the point when they shut it down?

That seems odd.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 01:06:39 AM »
The little time I spend in WT has been ships and with aircraft not here like the Dornier 117 line.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:40 AM »
They make money selling 'premium' toys. Aircraft-wise that's 179 models. Not all of them are late war or post war rides. Some of them are sold as specific paint schemes for famous pilots.

Zhukovsky's I-153-M62 is a premium Rank I Soviet biplane with a battle rating of 1.7 (AB) and 2.0 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.31. It costs 250 Golden Eagles. Golden eagles can be obtained both by purchasing them for real money and during promotional events, for winning places in contests or tournaments.

Some of them are aircraft painted in a different national scheme.

The (insert rising sun icon) B-17E Flying Fortress is a premium Rank IV Japanese heavy bomber with a battle rating of 5.3 (AB), 4.7 (RB), and 5.7 (SB). It was introduced in Update 1.43.

Some of them are just offered to include more global participation.

The Pyörremyrsky is a gift rank III Swedish fighter with a battle rating of 4.3 (AB/RB) and 3.7 (SB). It was introduced in Update 1.93 "Shark Attack". Obtained as a purchasable pack. (Pack or Bundle, aircraft are vehicles in the game that are unable to be purchased straight from the game's interface, requiring it to either be purchased from the Gaijin Store, given out during events or in promotions.)

I don't know how the game comes up with its battle ratings (AB,RB) but I'm assuming the higher the more effective it is supposed to be. AB is its (arcade rating) and RB is its realistic rating according to the wiki site (arcade vs realism as perceived there).

A rather complex 'free to play' marketing system as compared to Aces High, which doesn't rely on a micro-purchase system. Obviously AH player made skins offer players a greater variety of customization not available in WT.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 07:45:31 AM »
Free to play. Like Aces High.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 07:46:15 AM »
Free to play. Like Aces High.

But not.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 08:01:06 AM »
I will always use 'Warframe' as the model F2P game because it truly is. You can obtain everything in game without paying a dime very easily, and even generate the premium currency in the game by simply playing the game. In addition, nothing you can buy with cash gives you any advantage whatsoever in gameplay. SMITE is similar in that the only things you can purchase are cosmetics.

Then you have War Thunder, WoT, WoWS which are 'free to play' but most call 'pay to progress'. You can access most content without paying a time, but once you get higher in tier it starts to become harder to keep a steady revenue stream. This is where 'premium' kicks in, bonuses to experience and money earned per battle. Also premium planes/ships/tanks help with this for a dollar amount but some can be earned through campaigns and giveaways.

Then you have your subscription games. Aces High, EVE, World of Warcraft. These games might have a free aspect to them, but the main content of the game requires you to pay a dollar amount per month.

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »
But not.

Yes... it definitely is not AH.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
Then you have your subscription games. Aces High, EVE, World of Warcraft. These games might have a free aspect to them, but the main content of the game requires you to pay a dollar amount per month.

You also have the purchase and play model like Battlefield and IL2.  You purchase a game version for $60 and play on their various servers forever.    There are occasional upgrades you can purchase to access new maps, but eventually, at least in Battlefield, those will be released to everyone.  You just get to play on them first if you pay.  Most of these games had an offline campaign mode also.

Every couple of years, a new version of Battlefield or IL2 comes out and you drop another $60 bucks.  The BF4 servers are still full 6 years later.  I think a lot  people prefer this mode.  It doesn't nickle and dime you like F2P and feel less like paying rent like subscription.  People are used to the concept of buying something and then owning it.  It's yours.  You can play the offline campaign or go on and play on the company servers.  It's a fixed cost.  You don't have to buy the upgrades, or the next version if you don't want to.  It's a sunk cost.  If I don't play for a month, I don't feel like I'm wasting money.  I own it; I can go play when ever I want or not.  I don't get that nagging feeling I should cancel if I am too busy to play for a while.

I've been playing BF4 since the day it came out.  The servers have always been full. I've always been impressed they can run all those servers for years and still make billions in profits, but like Hitech said the server hardware and bandwidth costs are only a minor percentage of the overhead.  They make their money on the sale.

Subscription makes more sense in those fantasy games.  A lot of those are constantly creating new content.  New character classes, monsters, armor, weapons, quests, etc.  If you pay a subscription, it should be for a constant flow of new content.  I'm pretty certain Battlefield would not have been a success if they had tried to charge a monthly rent.

$0.02.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 09:39:25 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2020, 12:25:22 PM »
No others are on the same scale.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
No others are on the same scale.

Depends what you define as "scale".  A lot gets added over time to games these days, and that's what most people expect.  Even though it's just skins or what have you, they get a sense of "ongoing development" which is important to a lot of gamers.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
Depends what you define as "scale".  A lot gets added over time to games these days, and that's what most people expect.  Even though it's just skins or what have you, they get a sense of "ongoing development" which is important to a lot of gamers.

Wiley.

pretty sure hitech adds notes to updates.  i think there's been like 3 or 4 just this year.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2020, 01:24:25 PM »
pretty sure hitech adds notes to updates.  i think there's been like 3 or 4 just this year.

semp

Lord knows I'm still here and loving it but respectfully, there hasn't been a new toy in a while.  That's something people expect these days.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11