Author Topic: Alternate Realities Based on Books or Films  (Read 508 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Alternate Realities Based on Books or Films
« on: June 27, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
Local DJs in Columbia, Mo who spend time drinking beer come up with fantastic questions on air and get crazy responses.  If you were able to be transported to another reality based on a book or film, then which one would you choose and why?

Film?

24th Century of Star Trek through The Next Generation/Deep Space 9/Voyager.

Why?  At almost 50, the medical advances have cured just about everything except the common flu.  There are the rare outbreaks but the Starfleet medical Corps usually saves the day.  Money isn't important within the Federation.  You get to be in space and visit alien planets.

Book?

Wingman

Why? Just to fight for a shattered America and fight the good fight.  Become an instant jet fighter pilot with training and experience flying a F-20 Tigershark since the hero of the story gets the only remaining F-16. 

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Alternate Realities Based on Books or Films
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:36:32 PM »
Local DJs in Columbia, Mo who spend time drinking beer come up with fantastic questions on air and get crazy responses.  If you were able to be transported to another reality based on a book or film, then which one would you choose and why?

Film?

24th Century of Star Trek through The Next Generation/Deep Space 9/Voyager.

Why?  At almost 50, the medical advances have cured just about everything except the common flu.  There are the rare outbreaks but the Starfleet medical Corps usually saves the day.  Money isn't important within the Federation.  You get to be in space and visit alien planets.

Book?

Wingman

Why? Just to fight for a shattered America and fight the good fight.  Become an instant jet fighter pilot with training and experience flying a F-20 Tigershark since the hero of the story gets the only remaining F-16.

Film... I have to go with "Easy Rider" because two guys riding down a highway are killed for no reason other than being different

Book... Has to be "Dune", "Catch 22" and "A Child's Garden of Grass" because "Dune" was full of feint within feint within feint, "Catch 22" and " A Child's Garden of Grass" are hilarious  :aok
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »
Not really related, but I highly recommend The Man in the High Castle book and TV show on Amazon Prime. At least the first couple seasons.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
Nothing out of Hollywood would suit me.

I'm good. Thanks.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »
The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad can be somewhat confusing to read...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »
Elysium if I can live on the space station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j-vjtJ7PRI
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
 :O

I'm impressed.  I expected someone to have chimed in with a pr0n reference by now.  There's hope for us yet.

If I were to just be Joe Average, hard not to go with Star Trek.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
Lots of good Heinlein options.

Being a meth on one of the Altered Carbon worlds.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 08:35:28 PM »
I love the look of Gotham City in Batman: The Animated Series. Something about that modern take on art deco styling really interests me.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com