Author Topic: Covid19 things I’m seeing & hearing  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: Covid19 things I’m seeing & hearing
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:08 AM »
Preface: no intention of getting off topic into things forbidden in BBS. I’ve read the threads here and saw where they headed. However, I saw enough posts here downplaying it to raise my concern.

I’m a RN, I work primarily in medical surgical setting and skilled nursing. I have not had any patients with active infection, but I have had recovering/recovered patients. I do know many ICU nurses though that I trust their word on this. Also I’m in AZ where we’ve seen the biggest % increase recently. AZ lagged way behind in testing. In March and April our health services were screaming for more testing, so that was predictable. I can’t however speak for TX, CA and FL which have also had big increases when what I heard here was that those states had the testing AZ wanted.

It’s not behaving as a respiratory virus in a enough of cases and which begs should it really be Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome COV 2?

A good friend lost a 29 y/o to it, he did have underlying conditions, however he said it was the kidney failure that lead to demise. That’s the youngest case that I personally know of from another nurse I can trust. He sends me the ICU shift census updates. 2 weeks ago it was 19% in his ICU and about the same across the other 5 hospitals of that company network. At the moment it’s near double.

I know 4 people who have had moderate to severe symptoms, tested positive and recovered. They each had the well known symptoms, but each one had different chief complaint, i.e. one had severe fatigue “unlike any cold or flu he’d ever had,” another had considerable shortness of breath.

To sum up, lest I go on for pages, I see so many people out at stores and other places (unfortunately even on nursing units) that still don’t take it serious enough. At the same time I’m not saying to live in fear about going to the grocery store or your mail, I am saying that it does different things to different people. Please be as safe as you can and if you’re not worried about it for yourself, maybe be concerned enough for others that have known/unknown pre-existing conditions. 

:salute

That is some bad ARDS with necrosis, fibrosis, and cystic changes. Not many hospitals would have the resources to take her through mechanical ventilator failure, ECMO and then transplant. Amazing job.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-double-lung-transplant.html

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 11:14:57 AM »
That is some bad ARDS with necrosis, fibrosis, and cystic changes. Not many hospitals would have the resources to take her through mechanical ventilator failure, ECMO and then transplant. Amazing job.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-double-lung-transplant.html

And 20 years old.

There have been reports of some people who thought they had recovered fine, but lung analysis showed bad scaring and damage they didn't even realize they had.   There are other reports of long term neurological damage.  Damage to heart muscle.  It might take years for the full damage of this disease to become fully apparent.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/lifelong-lung-damage-the-serious-covid-19-complication-that-can-hit-people-in-their-20s#Whos-at-risk?

But it's just a bad cold really.   :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:32:29 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 11:48:54 AM »
I think we better hope that is not the case.  It certainly shouldn't be taken cavalierly with a nihilistic "Oh lets all just hurry up and get it to get herd immunity."  That's suicide-bomber thinking in my opinion.

This is not the flu.  It is not a cold.  They are starting to see a wide range of second order effect of this disease even if the patient thought they had a "mild" version.  This thing can damage organs through out the body.  Heart, lungs, blood vessels. The damage may not be detected immediately, but may lead to long term health problems and shortened life spans.

A lot of gassed soldiers in WWI didn't die immediately in 1918.  They died in 1922, 1925, 1928.  With damaged lungs, just one more bad cold was all it took.

What I fear, is a mass nation-wide health problem of a million COVID damaged survivors, ruining and shortening lives and putting incredible long term pressure on our health system for decades to come.

No one should want to hurry up and "get" this to get it over with.  I've had friends express this sentiment to me and frankly I think they are ignorant, uninformed or just crazy.  For one thing they are getting better every day in even learning how to treat this disease.  Your odds of survival are much better now than the first few months when they had no experience on how to fight this.  It will get better.  They will find pharma treatments.  They will develop serum antibody treatments before a vaccine.  A certain percentage of the population will never get this before the vaccine arrives.  You want you and your family to stay in that golden percentage.  That will require intelligence, discipline and a little luck.

Hope you all make it.

:salute

This is not the only thing with possible ongoing issues. Some will have them, some will not. Medicines we take can cause more issues and even death. This is nothing new.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 01:11:36 PM »
This is not the only thing with possible ongoing issues. Some will have them, some will not. Medicines we take can cause more issues and even death. This is nothing new.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »
a guy came into the legion with a cough. they took his temperature but was still turned away and encouraged to isolate himself.  he posted on Facebook that he was in another bar. he believes that is a hoax. I'm pretty sure he was sent home from work due to that cough.  there's a few legionaires that think it's a hoax too.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »
I don't know anyone personally that thinks it is a hoax. These happen ever so often, always have.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 05:19:12 PM »
I predict that by the time it is over there will be more deaths in the USA from this than the rest of the world together. We are about 5% of the population of the world and we have about 25% of the cases of Covid-19. That will be a testimony to the F'ed up nature of our nation and our national priorities. I am just glad I live in small town America where the craziness hasn't yet migrated. Stay safe guys.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
I doubt many nations statistics, death rate etc. outside the western-oriented nations.
Many have an agenda and are pressing down their numbers heavily.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 06:18:19 PM »
I doubt many nations statistics, death rate etc. outside the western-oriented nations.

Yes and since the numbers are skewed already, no one will ever know how many actually died of covid.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »

it isn't so much an agenda but more about money. you don't have the money you can't test.  it's that simple.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »
Also, that argument suggests more deaths from Covid-19, since it cannot be effectively used to suggest fewer.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:44 AM »
Yes and since the numbers are skewed already, no one will ever know how many actually died of covid.

Its quite easy to have a very good idea of how many died of Covid.  Just look at the death rate of ordinary years, and compare to this year. Statistics will tell you with X certainty that Covid increased the death rate by Y amount.  There will be no denying it by anyone who doesn't also deny the roundness of the earth, etc.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 12:16:34 AM »
I am just glad I live in small town America where the craziness hasn't yet migrated.
Hopefully you have a hospital system that doesn't easily get overwhelmed when it does migrate to your area. Being in a small town isn't a good thing when things get bad.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 12:30:08 AM »
Its quite easy to have a very good idea of how many died of Covid.  Just look at the death rate of ordinary years, and compare to this year. Statistics will tell you with X certainty that Covid increased the death rate by Y amount.  There will be no denying it by anyone who doesn't also deny the roundness of the earth, etc.

Still a rough estimate. Sadly there may be more suicides as people lose jobs. On the other hand, fewer people driving to work has lowered vehicular deaths. How do you best account for those?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »
it isn't so much an agenda but more about money. you don't have the money you can't test.  it's that simple.

semp

In LA County, there are numerous free testing sites set up.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song