Author Topic: Covid19 things I’m seeing & hearing  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: Covid19 things I’m seeing & hearing
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2020, 12:03:18 PM »
i believe masks won't stop me from catching the virus but it lowers the risk. the dumb guy that was turned away at the legion came back yesterday and tried to get it during a new bartender. i walked in and mention to the bartender that he has a cough and wasn't allowed in on Saturday. he got all upset saying he had already been served. i gave him 10 bucks told him to go home. he got banned for two months.

it seems a little extreme and he probably only has a cough and not covid19 but is the risk worth it?

semp
@semp/@guncrasher - yeah, it won't stop us from catching it, but masks will slow those who have it, don't know, and stop them from spreading it than without a mask.

My legion hasn't met since because most of us are older and are scared sheitless of catching 'the vid'.  So, I'm going to propose we meet virtually - most of us have a smart phone and being a CIO at a local college, I'm going to host our meeting because I want to make sure our senior veterans and members are getting the help they need and use to rely on from us pre-covid.

Stay safe everyone. :salute
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2020, 10:08:40 AM »
My old neighbor is quite involved in treating these pts. It’s interesting because he’s a co-director for the state poison control, but he has always moonlighted in county ER. We’re seeing him interviewed on the news nightly. He’s a great Dr, although kinda seems like he’s loving the attention...not really his personality as he goes by first name outside of work setting. Anyhow he said last night he’s been looking at 20-30somethings lungs and remarked how much fibrosis exists. Even stated with one pt who was not on O2, with those lungs he’s surprised they’re alive.

Also, my ICU buddy said his whole unit is now all Covid and other non-Covid were transferred to an auxiliary ICU.

We have an old hospital that had the medical side closed a year ago, in March they were preparing to open it back up, then didn’t need to and now are planning to open it again - all pts there will be Covid...things keep evolving.

The general public had some false hope that our “heat” would “kill”it...most viruses can tolerate up to 140-160 before becoming denatured...UV rays, yes that will, but not 115 degree heat.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
In TX there has been a resurgence, big surprise. It's highest in the big city areas where the "woke" decided to protest a few weeks ago. My rural county has finally topped 100 total cases and 2 fatalities There are 60 active cases now where the other month it was only about 35. The local grocery chain announced if you want inside you must be masked. HEB offers curb side delivery just like wally world does, no mask required which is good because masks, sanitizer and other stuff are all but impossible to find still.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
Maverick, Phoenix area has completely caught up to the point of massive surplus on all the stuff there was major runs on: tp, hand sanitizer, bleach, masks etc...

If you’re in need PM me and I’d be happy to send you any of that. The masks though aren’t N95s in quantity, but can be found at strange places like smoke/vape shops.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »
In TX there has been a resurgence, big surprise. It's highest in the big city areas where the "woke" decided to protest a few weeks ago. My rural county has finally topped 100 total cases and 2 fatalities There are 60 active cases now where the other month it was only about 35. The local grocery chain announced if you want inside you must be masked. HEB offers curb side delivery just like wally world does, no mask required which is good because masks, sanitizer and other stuff are all but impossible to find still.

just did a quick search on eventbright or whatever is called.  pretty sure this events won't spread anything.  i read also an article of a county in texas that closed early and only had a few cases which increased to the hundreds when the county was forced to reopen based on governor's orders.

around here there's somebody selling masks in just about every parking lot in stores.  liquor stores also have plenty of masks.  early in March masks were hard to find, so a neighbor that had a sawing machine made masks for everybody in the complex with donated materials, no charge. i think around 100 masks.

we have plenty of hand sanitizer as you can find it in every store. and yes we have plenty of people who refuse to wear masks, they are refused service.  they always start with "... you violating my rights.." clerks always point to the sign "we reserve the right.."

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2020, 04:08:03 AM »
I had it in December, 2 other people had.

Its been around longing than they make out.

One of the guys i work with is Chinese and he never gets ill.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2020, 05:59:32 AM »
did you actually have it though or just one of those I think I've had it?

Glad your still kicking Zack but if you un-intentionally transmitted it all over Northern England I hope you can sleep at night.   

#coronaPies
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2020, 03:13:18 PM »
well we are shut down again. so many people did not listen.

semp

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2020, 03:35:39 PM »
well we are shut down again. so many people did not listen.

semp

It's just a bad cold.  These things happen from time to time.  Aspirin kills more people every year.  It's all a MSM hysteria anyway.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2020, 03:57:49 PM »

It's just a bad cold.  These things happen from time to time.  Aspirin kills more people every year.  It's all a MSM hysteria anyway.

what is MSM?

semp

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2020, 04:07:46 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2020, 04:31:36 PM »

Finally...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/texas-issues-state-wide-order-requiring-face-coverings.html

Texas added 8240 new cases yesterday.  The most NY ever added in a day was 11,661.  Some 4th July parties, some riots, a couple of rallies and I bet we've will have beaten them by Nov.  Texas #1!  Oh yeah.   I'm sure it's all because we've been testing more.  We need to slow down those tests so our number can look better.

On the good side, they have learned more about how to treat this in the hospitals.  It's not the flu, it's not behaving like the flu.  Things they'd do for a bad flu like early ventilator intervention looks like were counter productive.  Steroids look better than they thought.   I'm hoping additional pharma proves effective before long.  Which are why the nutters that say we should all hurry up and get it to get it over with are insane.  Your odds of survival are better now than they were two months ago.  Hopefully they will be better two months from now than they are now. 

On the bad side they are seeing young people are not as immune as they'd like to think.  Their risk of outright death may be lower, but many are ending up with long term organ and neurological damage.   Possibly shortened life spans.  If you have kids and care about them, take this crap seriously.  I can't believe people are still seriously considering packing their kids into schools come Fall.  I bet that changes over the next couple of months.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2020, 04:58:35 PM »

You missed sarcasm-font usage class.  :) 

Literally the only thing that is somewhat "good news" is that the death rate is currently lagging the new case rate, although there is no clear reason as to why, yet.  It may be that the current influx of cases are generally younger, or it may simply be that the timing is slightly miscalculated and that the deaths are coming.

The bad news is the surge in life-altering conditions that survivors are being diagnosed with, which is seriously concerning.  It will likely become standard that surviving Covid-19 infection will become a pre-existing condition in the near future.  As it is right now, if you survive Covid-19, you will be stopped from in-processing to any military MOS due to the risk of complications, per the Department of Defense.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2020, 05:36:51 PM »
You missed sarcasm-font usage class.  :) 

Literally the only thing that is somewhat "good news" is that the death rate is currently lagging the new case rate, although there is no clear reason as to why, yet.  It may be that the current influx of cases are generally younger, or it may simply be that the timing is slightly miscalculated and that the deaths are coming.

The bad news is the surge in life-altering conditions that survivors are being diagnosed with, which is seriously concerning.  It will likely become standard that surviving Covid-19 infection will become a pre-existing condition in the near future.  As it is right now, if you survive Covid-19, you will be stopped from in-processing to any military MOS due to the risk of complications, per the Department of Defense.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/

I've found some of my fellow citizens capacity for self-delusion awe-inspiring. 

The best news I see is the resolved cases Fatality:Recovered ratio.  For the longest time it was hovering around 27% which was terrifying.  We are now hovering around %10 which is merely heart-breaking.  Especially when "recovered" could include people with shortened life-spans, damaged organs and permanent neurological damage, or merely pulmonary cripples if they are lucky.  Some may recover relatively unscathed, but they are finding people who even thought they were fine afterwards are showing extensive lung and sometimes heart damage.  Some damage may take years to finally have its full effect. 

If we end up with 5 mil infected before this thing is over, imaging the national health system time-bomb that represents even if we can keep most of them from ending up fatalities.

But hey, you know, ....

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
The worst case I recently was made aware of shed light upon the biggest issue, IMO. 

A 41-year old diabetic man spent 3 months in literal isolation because his doctor said directly to him that he "can not get this virus, or it will lead to serious outcomes".  So, he spent the the time from that point, a literal prisoner in his home.

Because of the loosening of restrictions, and the seeming decline in cases, he deemed it somewhat safe to attend his own mother's birthday party a couple weeks ago.  Attending that same party was a younger cousin in his 20's, who had KNOWINGLY tested positive 5 days prior, but had not developed any symptoms, and basically just figured "whatever, not a big deal". Otherwise known as a "Covidiot".

I think you can figure out what happened. 

The diabetic man started feeling off, and went to the doctor, and tested positive. He was admitted to hospital within 48 hours and suffered multiple organ failure within days.  He died a few days ago, 24 hours after he posted his last "Gonna fight this" Facebook message.

People simply saying "meh, whatever." .  If America has proven one thing in the past 5 months, it is this:  We have proven we don't truly care about anyone or anything other than ourselves.  And by "ourselves" I mean each individual in a literal sense; it has become abundantly obvious that Americans don't even care about the welfare of other Americans.  Our fierce individuality has manifested itself as a handicap to this threat.

Some will simply dismiss it out of hand, some don't have the mental capacity to understand.... and some still think that they can't die. Some will even point to his diabetes, and disgustingly say "well there's the reason, he had a co-morbidity", like having a livable condition somehow should mark you for death today.  Meanwhile, the rest of the world is coming out of it, due to a reasoned, research-backed response that dealt with what the virus needed at a basal level.... human bodies.  Without bodies, any virus cannot replicate and therefore won't survive.  We are about to go straight back into a full lockdown because half our population refuses to believe science, while the rest of the Western World are having celebrations for beating it.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:46:35 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce