Author Topic: Preddy's P-47  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Preddy's P-47
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:49:15 AM »
This P-47D skin is a request from Perdue3 who also supplied the photos for it.

Lt George Preddy was first deployed to the 49th FG at Darwin Australia in 1942 to help defend the city against Japanese attacks. However during a training sortie another P-40 flown by Lt Sauber misjudged his attack pass and rammed Preddy's aircraft. This accident resulted in the death of Sauber but Preddy survived, although badly injured.

After a prolonged recovery he was assigned to the 352nd FG who arrived in Britain in July 1943. Preddy was assigned P-47D 42-8500 which he named "Cripes A' Mighty" a phrase he often shouted out when tossing the dice when gambling. He scored his first kill, a Bf109, in this plane on December 1st. On the 22nd he and his wingman attacked a squadron of 16 109s attacking a lone B-24. Preddy shot down one enemy fighter but his wingman was shot down in return. The B-24 escaped however and Preddy was awarded the Silver Star for this mission. His third kill of a FW190 came in late January 1944 over the coast of France, but shortly after this his aircraft was hit by flak and he was forced to bail out over the Channel. After his rescue by an RAF flying boat he rejoined his squadron.

After the 352nd converted to the faster and longer ranged P-51 in April Preddy's score quickly increased. On 5th August his squadron bounced a group of 30 109s attacking a bomber formation and Preddy was able to down six of them, for which he feat was awarded a DFC. Preddy returned to the States on leave before returning to the 352nd as CO of the 328th FS. On Christmas Day during the Battle of the Bulge Preddy shot down two 109s and was chasing a 190 when he was hit by AA fire from a US flak site. He managed to crash land his plane but later died from his wounds. He had scored 27.5 kills, all but three in the P-51, which made him the top scoring ace in that aircraft.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Preddy's P-47
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 04:15:58 AM »
 :aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 04:48:54 AM »
Fast work on that request.   Nice job.  :)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:45:21 AM »
nice
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »
Looking good! Loving these jugs!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Most excellent.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 08:38:46 AM »
 :x

Thank you Greebo! What a wonderful job you did.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
Sleek
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
Greebo............ya sure you don't want the book on the 56th jugs with the plates and drawings, and decals I got from the 56th Museum?  LOL

I'll gladly send it.   gimme a heads up.  If anyone wants it (it's fantastic) if Greebo doesn't I'll gladly part with it to one of you skinners for nothing.  It's loaded with actual photographs also.

A skinners dream.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:41:16 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 12:10:04 PM »
Great looking skin, Greebo.   

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
Greebo............ya sure you don't want the book on the 56th jugs with the plates and drawings, and decals I got from the 56th Museum?

It is very kind of you to offer Hajo and now the limit has been raised to 64 skins there's more scope for me to do 56th FG skins. The problem is that I'd guess the book is fairly heavy and as I live in the UK it would likely cost a lot to send it to me. Perhaps Lyric1 might like it, he knows the sort of subjects I like and the info needed for a skin and could send me anything from it that I'd find interesting.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »
It is very kind of you to offer Hajo and now the limit has been raised to 64 skins there's more scope for me to do 56th FG skins. The problem is that I'd guess the book is fairly heavy and as I live in the UK it would likely cost a lot to send it to me. Perhaps Lyric1 might like it, he knows the sort of subjects I like and the info needed for a skin and could send me anything from it that I'd find interesting.

Believe it or not it is a large paperback and not very thick.  The first skin is Preddys aircraft.  Not all are 56th but the majority are.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 12:00:32 AM »
Perhaps Lyric1 might like it, he knows the sort of subjects I like and the info needed for a skin and could send me anything from it that I'd find interesting.

What is the title of this book?
If I don't have it I will buy it off you Hajo.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 07:22:28 AM »
What is the title of this book?
If I don't have it I will buy it off you Hajo.

Lyric I will NOT have you purchase it.  It's going to a good home that's all I care about.  The book is All photo paper from cover to back and is not heavy at all.  It even includes the full nose art from both sides of these razorbacks.  It includes many black and white photos as well and the photos are clear.  Many color photos as well.  The book was a compilation put together for the 56th Museum and the color plates are done by a well know aviation artist.  It also has full color close up photos of the noseart as well as black and white.  This book was purchased from the 56th Museum and I don't know if it's available anywhere else.

The book was done by Nigel Julian, Peter Randall and Zbignew Kolocha titled:  Fighting Units in color, 56th Fighter Group, Part1.  Kings Cliffe to the Halesworth Heydey.

Lyric it is yours plus a bonus I intended to send to a Skinner.  You will not be disappointed at all believe me.  Oh...........the bonus  I have an original -1 on the P47 from the C models to the D and even the few G Models that were built by Curtis.  (They only built around 300 of them and from what I understand none of the G models ever made it into combat.)  And since I have an original of -1 of the Jugs the bonus is a copy of the -1 of the P47 originally Published by the US Army Air Force by Periscope Film.  It gives you a little history of why I am a big fan of the Jug.  PM me your addy and I'll get it out to you free shipping of course.  I just want to have one of our skinners own this resource for all the work each of you do.  It is appreciated believe me.  I'm a history nut as many of you know.  Believe it or not those of you who skin are preserving history.  And for that I am grateful.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 07:34:42 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »
Lyric I will NOT have you purchase it.  It's going to a good home that's all I care about.  The book is All photo paper from cover to back and is not heavy at all.  It even includes the full nose art from both sides of these razorbacks.  It includes many black and white photos as well and the photos are clear.  Many color photos as well.  The book was a compilation put together for the 56th Museum and the color plates are done by a well know aviation artist.  It also has full color close up photos of the noseart as well as black and white.  This book was purchased from the 56th Museum and I don't know if it's available anywhere else.

The book was done by Nigel Julian, Peter Randall and Zbignew Kolocha titled:  Fighting Units in color, 56th Fighter Group, Part1.  Kings Cliffe to the Halesworth Heydey.

Lyric it is yours plus a bonus I intended to send to a Skinner.  You will not be disappointed at all believe me.  Oh...........the bonus  I have an original -1 on the P47 from the C models to the D and even the few G Models that were built by Curtis.  (They only built around 300 of them and from what I understand none of the G models ever made it into combat.)  And since I have an original of -1 of the Jugs the bonus is a copy of the -1 of the P47 originally Published by the US Army Air Force by Periscope Film.  It gives you a little history of why I am a big fan of the Jug.  PM me your addy and I'll get it out to you free shipping of course.  I just want to have one of our skinners own this resource for all the work each of you do.  It is appreciated believe me.  I'm a history nut as many of you know.  Believe it or not those of you who skin are preserving history.  And for that I am grateful.

Thank you.  :aok
Info sent in a PM.