Author Topic: Just when you think....  (Read 3989 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Just when you think....
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 12:17:20 PM »
That is exactly my point. We all care about the game. Some want to run it and have no clue about the gaming business. They have no idea what has and has not been done.

Play the game and make the best of it. None of us have access the the inside running of this business.

We may not have access, but a lot of us have been here from almost the beginning in some cases. and see "trends" of things going on in the game. I dont think Hitech plays the game as much as he use to in days gone by. What with running the company, writing coad, and raising a family Im sure he is too busy.

I would hope that he does take the time to listen to and evaluate the suggestions and insights many post here who DO play the game often. Game play changes as the players change. With out watching/playing often you might wish some of the things that are going on in the game.

I think people should suggest away, and for those that feel the need to "poo-poo" everyones ideas, they should not bother with the negative comments and let the post sit on its own merits.

As you said, its not up to us to MAKE changes, that Hitechs spot, but there should be nothing wrong with people posting their ideas   

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
We may not have access, but a lot of us have been here from almost the beginning in some cases. and see "trends" of things going on in the game. I dont think Hitech plays the game as much as he use to in days gone by. What with running the company, writing coad, and raising a family Im sure he is too busy.

I would hope that he does take the time to listen to and evaluate the suggestions and insights many post here who DO play the game often. Game play changes as the players change. With out watching/playing often you might wish some of the things that are going on in the game.

I think people should suggest away, and for those that feel the need to "poo-poo" everyones ideas, they should not bother with the negative comments and let the post sit on its own merits.

As you said, its not up to us to MAKE changes, that Hitechs spot, but there should be nothing wrong with people posting their ideas

Everyone...... not just some. I would like to see his game when it is released.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »

Some people just love to play Hall Monitor.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 12:35:24 PM »
You caress his hair all you want. He talks from zero experience.  Some have all the answers.... so they think.

hehehehe.  :airplane: :airplane: :old: :old: :old: :old: :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead
Uncle Fred

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
You make an incorrect assumption. That total hours played varies directly with total number of players.

HiTech

You must have misread, as I use total deaths as the measurement. I know that it doesn't directly correlate with player #s, or even subscribers, but it does show a lot less deaths compared to previous few months, which means less players flew in the MA last month and/or they didn't roll as much. Still, most players probably average between 100-300 deaths a month. Im seeing 29K death difference. Thats a lot of sorties. I'm aware that many people went back to work. I am just disappointed that it appears so much of the growth died down. I thought for sure we'd start seeing 200 avg in the MA again primtime. I saw 166 last sunday, which was higher than the weekends before, so hopefully the people who were burnt out come back in July. I was just shocked to see such a big decline in June from May which is why i brought it up. I hope that more of the players in the game can help to keep players interested to stick around longer.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:44:33 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 02:40:14 PM »
Some people just love to play Hall Monitor.

(Image removed from quote.)

....and some people think they are funny  :neener:

Nope, just "suggesting" that people could police themselves and we would have less negativity/toxicity on the boards.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 04:41:52 PM »
I came back after last flying in Tour 134, when my last decent gaming rig died an inglorious death. I finally found myself in a life position to get back with a new system. 

I do think some advertising would do the game good.... I remember the uptick in numbers circa 2009ish (forgive me if I'm wrong) when the game was adverted on History Channel.  Numbers back then were mid 300's every night.... we used to moan about low number nights at 130....

That being said, this is a niche product that has a niche audience.  Basically, you need to target an audience that has a love for warbirds and the money to spend on a computer rig that can handle the state of expectation, graphically, writ large.   The younger generation of aviation enthusiasts are locked into DCS at the moment. I don't know how you can interest them in the finesse that was aerial combat of the time period that this game focuses on.  It certainly does not help that arcade games like War Thunder jumped into the space as well, ostensibly creating a poor dynamic for those that actually tried to get into WW2 combat. Air Warrior jumped into a wide open business space when it came out... and that space is now pretty crowded for Aces High. (Many of us "old timers" remember paying by the hour on dial-up to fly when Kesmai marketed Air Warrior.......but I digress)

The learning curve in Aces is also incredibly steep, and that leads to many folks leaving in frustration.  The community here has also taken a step back from helping new people, IMO, even though some folks do go out of their way to try.

This game has some really great things going for it... Scenarios are second to none, and the flight model is pretty true to form. You simply need to find the right target audience again.  Unless HT is simply going to let it fade away slowly, and move on to something new, there is space to make this game pop again, particularly if done in a concise, targeted way.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
You must have misread, as I use total deaths as the measurement. I know that it doesn't directly correlate with player #s, or even subscribers, but it does show a lot less deaths compared to previous few months, which means less players flew in the MA last month and/or they didn't roll as much. Still, most players probably average between 100-300 deaths a month. Im seeing 29K death difference. Thats a lot of sorties. I'm aware that many people went back to work. I am just disappointed that it appears so much of the growth died down. I thought for sure we'd start seeing 200 avg in the MA again primtime. I saw 166 last sunday, which was higher than the weekends before, so hopefully the people who were burnt out come back in July. I was just shocked to see such a big decline in June from May which is why i brought it up. I hope that more of the players in the game can help to keep players interested to stick around longer.
Total deaths is liner  related to hours played on a arena wide basis. And it does not show less players played in the arena it can show the same number of players played in the arena but had less deaths because they played less.  Hence why I said you made in incorrect assumption which you again made in the above quote.

HiTech

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »
Regardless of the units of measure or scientific methods used, I think we can all agree the subscription model is very rare in 2020 and likely a barrier for future growth.  Combine that with the steep learning curve, cost of peripherals, and the ever fading light of enthusiasm for WWII air combat, and the future isn't exactly bright.  Not dark, just not bright.   

Assuming revenue is based solely off of new and renewing subscriptions, the only alternative for HTC is a flat fee to buy the game and a steady stream of paid DLC type content.  Given the history of community contributions (skins, maps, sounds, etc), I'd say HTC was never really set up for that kind of business model.  It's more of game that your buddy developed and you and your friends pay him each month to keep the servers up, in addition to giving him free stuff to make the game pretty and functional. 

Quite the odd duck, this game.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »
Violator had an idea a while ago for Special Events, and fortunately HiTech allowed me to make it happen.

https://www.hitechcreations.com

Amazing what a simple idea can do to help! :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 06:26:00 PM »
Total deaths is liner  related to hours played on a arena wide basis. And it does not show less players played in the arena it can show the same number of players played in the arena but had less deaths because they played less.  Hence why I said you made in incorrect assumption which you again made in the above quote.

HiTech

I understand your point. I know its variable and there are many factors there.

I'm just shocked that there was that big of an impact related to people going back to work. I will say that I do notice a decrease in pilots per the top planes, which is still variable. I just hope we can pick those #s back up overall, which is why I wanted to call attention to it.

Violator had an idea a while ago for Special Events, and fortunately HiTech allowed me to make it happen.

https://www.hitechcreations.com

Amazing what a simple idea can do to help! :)

Just noticed this. I am so glad and thankful that Hitech allowed you to post the special events on the front page. I am happy to see the enthusiasm!

Thank you Hitech and Spikes!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »
Just noticed this. I am so glad and thankful that Hitech allowed you to post the special events on the front page. I am happy to see the enthusiasm!

Thank you Hitech and Spikes!
:cheers:
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »
Regardless of the units of measure or scientific methods used, I think we can all agree the subscription model is very rare in 2020 and likely a barrier for future growth.  Combine that with the steep learning curve, cost of peripheral

While the subscription is rare in 2020 a game like Aces High is also incredibly rare in 2020 and that must also be taken into account.

As far as peripheral, I fly in this game with a simple keyboard and mouse, nothing more and I can at least say I can give most other players a decent run for their money in a fight. No other flight sim game has implemented mouse and keyboard controls as well as aces high IMO.

Regarding the mouse controls, one thing I do find annoying in AH3 compared the AH2 is how the rudder is linked to the alieron controls while you're on the runway.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 08:58:52 AM »
You caress his hair all you want. He talks from zero experience.  Some have all the answers.... so they think.

You did  come out of the gate a negative Nancy.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
You did  come out of the gate a negative Nancy.

Commended him on his knowledge and asked the obvious. With that knowledge he can't be wasting it.

You seem pretty negative about that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)