Author Topic: 88s In WWII vs. Fighters  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: 88s In WWII vs. Fighters
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 03:52:50 AM »
In retrospect yes and no.

Yes: There were cases of high caliber AA guns that could knock single engined planes out of the sky including fighters and dive bombers. But that is rare, if you look up the attacks at Lae in New Guinea in 42' a SBD did get blown out of the sky by AA Flak in one shot.

It was not rare for a fighter to be shot down by flak, either with a single hit or multiple hits.  Just look at the squadron records for planes being lost.  Also, your example really has no bearing because the discussion is about the Flak 88mm, not Japanese AA gun accuracy.

No: Most times 88 or other high caliber flak were mostly used on HBs in Europe like 17s 24s Lancasters or medium bombers. The flak shells were meant to be more of the damaging effect where the bomber that gets hit when it RTBs has too much damage to fly again and has to be scrapped. There were plenty of cases of single 88mm shells blowing wings off 17s and 24s but not many fighters. In WWII the 88 crews can load shells quick but most times its either a miss (which happened a lot) or a hit (plane gets damaged or goes down.)

That's why it is Yes and No.

You are correct in that the Flak 88mm was used in Europe, but incorrect about high caliber AA guns being used mostly in the ETO.  Nor was the intent of German AA crews to "damage" bombers while they returned to base after a mission.  The Germans used both blanket and rolling AA tactics that engaged the bombers to and back from the target.  Since the Flak 88mm was basically a semi-auto AA gun, crews were able to fire quickly and with the the use of an analog gunnery computer, Flak 88mm crews were able to provide extremely precise fire and able to tie in and coordinate with other gun crews to provide accurate multi-AA gun on a single target.  Then with the Giant Würzburg, Flak 88mm gun crews were able to provide precise fire without visual contact.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 06:49:57 AM »

Try defending a field in the 88 mm; it is extremely frustrating and very difficult to hit anything.

The 88mm is I feel the best addition to AH since I stopped playing in 2010. It is not easy hitting planes with the 88mm, but getting puffy ack bursts near the target and maybe even hitting the target is exciting as hell. More fun than that is hitting vehicles with the 88mm.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 10:59:05 AM »
Slade have you tried the 88 yourself?

Yes
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 11:57:46 AM »

Maybe 88s should follow the rulez at least of AI ACK with regard to accuracy and a pilot pulling maneuvers to increase the hit bubble as HiTech has described\programmed it. Program that in that is.

Since a player is manning the gun, the accuracy of the gun depends entirely on the skill of the player.  The same goes for guns in tanks and airplanes. 

I understand that in some games, a player can gain enough "points" or whatever, and the game makes the player's shots more accurate.  This is not one of those games.  In Aces High, we, the players, determine the accuracy of the gun with our own skill.  (which explains why I have such trouble hitting the broad side of a hangar)
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »
Since the Flak 88mm was basically a semi-auto AA gun, crews were able to fire quickly and with the the use of an analog gunnery computer, Flak 88mm crews were able to provide extremely precise fire and able to tie in and coordinate with other gun crews to provide accurate multi-AA gun on a single target.  Then with the Giant Würzburg, Flak 88mm gun crews were able to provide precise fire without visual contact.

This. Aiming 88 in AH is a guessing game, i'm pretty sure that in RL they would have way more information, lead angle etc. Most of it could be derived from radar/angle tables as needed. Given that raid altitude would be well known in advance, direction wouldn't change, trigonometry wouldn't be all that convoluted. I'm pretty sure gunsight was also more complex than what we have.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
Aiming 88 in AH is a guessing game

I'm OK with it being human controlled and of course one building a skill at an 88.  Kudos!  :salute

I've had multiple instances though that suggest there is more than skill at play.  Not cheating or a cheat.  I'd call it an exploit though to achieve this level of accuracy.

[sidebar]
I've been flying AH since it was a glimmer in HiTech's eye.  I deep dove into understanding SCORE until I found the formula's posted by AH on how it is derived. I could easily see how it is exploited and meaningless for all but personal growth.  As a result - I don't fly for SCORE.

88's I similarly suspect have certain parameters and behaviors when applied in a specific context that incredibly increase accuracy.  Maybe I am wrong though.  I have not put the time into 88s to know.
[/sidebar]

Again, Kudos to adding the 88s in the game.  Great addition.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 09:54:39 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 11:30:27 AM »
somebody created a training map where if you practice it will increase your accuracy. wasn't anything other than practice.

it was offered to anybody that wanted it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 01:35:05 PM »
My range keys "C" and "V" havent worked in months. Could nevfer hit anything with them anyway.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 02:42:16 PM »
My range keys "C" and "V" havent worked in months. Could nevfer hit anything with them anyway.

Get a new keyboard.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)