Author Topic: New Rift S, struggling with control mapping.  (Read 895 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
New Rift S, struggling with control mapping.
« on: July 04, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »
Picked up a Rift S.  Playing with the included software it's pretty neat.  But really I got it for flight sims.  So fired up AH3 for the first time in a long time.

If I launch the game selecting "use oculus" I have no controls mapped at all. (using a Thrustmaster t1600 hotas and pedals) So I pull off the headset off and set it aside, monitor reverts to normal and I map the basics using the mouse, pull the headset back on and I have no controls at all, pull up mapping and every single thing has reverted to unassigned.

If I launch the game selecting not to use oculus, then all my old controller mappings are there and work fine.  But as soon as I use the oculus I've starting from scratch, and even then I set stuff and it resets to unassigned when the headset turns on.

Also how on earth do you set your neutral head position in oculus? somehow it's fine in the tower, but when I launch a plane my head is where my crotch should be and the usual keyboard buttons to move head position don't work either in oculus.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:31:39 PM by saggs »

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Re: New Rift S, struggling with control mapping.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
Got it to work selecting the default mapping. (still rather have my old custom mapping)

But it's not right. When I move my head left, right, up, down, instead of moving my head position relative to the cockpit it moves the whole cockpit, like my head is fixed in one spot in the cockpit.  However when I advanced to full throttle it decided to shift my view to where I'm sitting on the right wing for a while, then it slowly came back.

So I promptly crash and on return to the tower, to discover the clipboard is now a blurry illegible mess.  Everything else is clear, just the clipboard.

Should I just delete AH3 and start over?  Seems for whatever reason that many things are messed up.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »
I think the home key takes you back to the default head position. If you put your headset on and move to where you want the view and then press f10 it will save that. I suggest mapping a button to center your view too.
As far as controls go, the regular game versus the vr game use different files so you have to map them while in vr. Dont forget to press ok after you do.
I would also suggest unmapping everything before you map to your preferences. That way you dont run into button/axis conflicts if something is double mapped

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »
I think the home key takes you back to the default head position. If you put your headset on and move to where you want the view and then press f10 it will save that. I suggest mapping a button to center your view too.
As far as controls go, the regular game versus the vr game use different files so you have to map them while in vr. Dont forget to press ok after you do.
I would also suggest unmapping everything before you map to your preferences. That way you dont run into button/axis conflicts if something is double mapped

Thanks, I'll remap everything.

On the head position, I cannot get the head position to move, when i press the arrow or pg up, pg dn keys, it does not move my head position.  Also as I move my head left and right, up down with the rift it doesn't move my head position either.  The only thing I can do in VR is rotate my head. It's like I've somehow "fixed" the view to that one spot.

Also when I exit the arena, the clipboard and title page turn into a tiny thing a hundred feet away that move all over as I rotate my head.

Am I just being dumb here, or what?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 01:33:39 AM »
Got it to work selecting the default mapping. (still rather have my old custom mapping)

But it's not right. When I move my head left, right, up, down, instead of moving my head position relative to the cockpit it moves the whole cockpit, like my head is fixed in one spot in the cockpit.  However when I advanced to full throttle it decided to shift my view to where I'm sitting on the right wing for a while, then it slowly came back.

So I promptly crash and on return to the tower, to discover the clipboard is now a blurry illegible mess.  Everything else is clear, just the clipboard.

Should I just delete AH3 and start over?  Seems for whatever reason that many things are messed up.

Sounds like you have controls mapped to views.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
I'm getting it figured out slowly.  I did have the view locked with an F key so I couldn't move my head, got that fixed.  Got the control mapping working, I'm not sure what fixed it, but it is finally saving my inputs now, before i would set it and when I put on the headset it would revert to unassigned, or it would randomly jump from the control mapping tab, back to the map without me doing anything.

I did have some graphical glitchiness, like the clipboard going all fuzzy.  I changed the graphics from maxxed out back to default and it seems better.  Seems strange though, just for kicks I downloaded and played the Vader Immortal game from Oculus and it looks AMAZING!! and ran without any hiccups or stutter  ....but it only seems to be able to run AH on default settings, I realize the GPU has to put out 2 images to the oculus, but it is lower resolution so I'd hoped to be able to retain the same graphical detail I had on a 1080 monitor.  (my GPU is a GTX 970 ssc slightly overclocked)

Are the arrow and page up/down buttons for moving head position disabled in VR?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:27:20 PM by saggs »

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:00:18 PM »

Are the arrow and page up/down buttons for moving head position disabled in VR?

I believe they are unless you pause tracker. Thats where I was saying to move your head to where you want it then press f10 to save. Whenever you hit your tracker center button it will go to the saved view regardless of head position

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 11:16:09 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help.  I got it working pretty well now.

So far just tinkering in the offline arena, trying to shake the rust off my ACM and gunnery skills, maybe in a few more days I'll dare venture into the MA again.  I'm so rusty I'm sure to be easy pickings.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 01:53:04 AM »
Before you know it, you'll wonder how you got by for so long without VR. There's no going back

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:08 AM »
Before you know it, you'll wonder how you got by for so long without VR. There's no going back
TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 08:17:46 PM »

This!!!    I was working on a nose art the other day and logged in without the Rift for a bit to look at it and was thinkin Ewww  this all looks soooo flat!   lol
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
The strangest feeling is if you go back to using a monitor you keep wanting to turn your head.