Author Topic: VR for Sit down Simulations.  (Read 733 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
VR for Sit down Simulations.
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:07:17 PM »
I'm on the wait list for a valve index, which I can cancel at any time.

I went for the index because it is considered the best VR for PC gaming. However as I sit waiting for valve to fulfill my order I have a question.

Is the Index the Best VR for the games I play?

I want a VR headset mostly for Sit Down Simulation games. I play several games that support VR out of the box. Aces High III, DCS World, IL2 GB, Project Cars 1&2, Elite Dangerous, No man's Sky, and X-plane 11. The FPS games that support VR require me to purchase the VR version of the game and honestly I'm not really interested in VR outside Simulations.

So I'm also wondering if the outside in Light House sensors that come with index are going to improve head tracking over inside out tracking?

If they don't I'm wondering if I should just cancel my index order and pre-order an HP Reverp G2.

I'm guessing Gman can answer my question.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: VR for Sit down Simulations.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 04:33:54 PM »
For my Rift CV1 (external sensors) vs my Quest (internal sensors) there is no noticeable difference between tracking.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 08:36:45 PM »
AFAIK there are no dedicated VR headsets specifically suited to seated playing. All they know is pretty much where you're face is pointed vs where your started regardless of the rest of the position of your body.

That said I wish there were. Or that there was something you could select as every game I play is a flight sim where I'm sitting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »
What I'm trying to figure out is if the extra money I'm spending on the index for Lighthouse base stations and controllers is worth it.

I don't see myself playing many "room-scale" games like HalfLife: Alyx or beat Saber. The games I currently play that support VR are all Simulators. Aces High III, Il2 GB, DCS, x plane 11, Project Cars 1&2, Elite Dangerous, and No Man's Sky.

The biggest question I had was would the lighthouse Base Stations improve HEAD tracking over "inside out" Tracking? It would appear the answer to that question is "No" at least from the research I have done Thus Far.

I am seriously considering canceling my Index order and pre-ordering the HP Reverb G2.

Some Sources ....

https://www.gamersbynight.com/best-vr-dcs/
https://www.gamersbynight.com/best-vr-il2/
https://www.gamersbynight.com/best-vr-elite-dangerous/
https://youtu.be/-ZzoSYU2ygM
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »
Looking at it that way I'd say there's no advantage to the extra gear with the outside in types. I have no issues with tracking using a RiftS with inside out tracking. If I were looking to buy a headset just now I'd wait to see what's coming out in the next couple of months.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 07:35:15 AM »
I don't use the hand controllers that came with the vive pro as I don' t use VR for anything but AH3

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 07:38:41 AM »
I don't use the hand controllers that came with the vive pro as I don' t use VR for anything but AH3

<S>

Eagler
Yeah the RiftS hand controllers generally sit on the desk and run their batteries down other than to do the almost continual re-setting up of the Oculus software or navigate same. Useless for flight sims.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
Looking at it that way I'd say there's no advantage to the extra gear with the outside in types. I have no issues with tracking using a RiftS with inside out tracking. If I were looking to buy a headset just now I'd wait to see what's coming out in the next couple of months.

Going by the gossip it sounds like Oculus have a gen2 of the Quest in the wings.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
Going by the gossip it sounds like Oculus have a gen2 of the Quest in the wings.
And I get the idea from an almost total lack of update love for the RiftS that they're pretty much ditching the purely PC headset too. Hey a better Quest isn't a bad thing but I did only buy this thing just a year ago for not a small amount of money and they stopped updating it in December really. Some stupid bugs got introduced and were never addressed while every update since is all about the Quest. It runs things OK but was better before they homogenized their software with the Dec updates. Forced updates too! While I like it I couldn't recommend buying one even if they come back into stock if only because I don't know what Oculus/FB intends to do with it moving forward and they aren't exactly a fountain of info there.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 05:31:04 PM »
I put it down to how fast things are progressing with VR. For years it was small steps (or no steps) and VR was a very very niche thing, then Palmer Luckey throws down the Rift and things really start going nuts. The tech is advancing faster than the software can keep it, which is a rare thing these days.