Author Topic: Keep losing "center"  (Read 536 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Keep losing "center"
« on: July 08, 2020, 01:40:30 PM »
Hi I've found that I've been having to constantly "recenter" my WMR headset. Recently it gets so bad it will jump every few seconds in an intense fight. Has anyone else seen this and figured out what causing it?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Keep losing "center"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »
Couple of things might cause it. One of them is an extraneous light source in the room like sunlight. Even reflected sunlight might cause it. Without knowing what the tracking system is on your headset, if it's outside in are the towers seeing the headset or is the headset seeing the towers? Can you test that? If inside out like the RiftS the cameras don't work well in a very dark room. Make sure they have some light to work with. I have a little security cam IR light shining at the ceiling just in case.

Of course the other thing is it might just be you moving around in your seat.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »
The wmr headsets dont use towers. I think it has something to do with the lighting but cant figure it out. The lighting in the room seems good overall but maybe some reflections are messing it up? I've wondered if an ir spotlight might help? Or hanging some christmas lights? Haha

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »
Oh yeah mirrors or other reflective things are another thing that'll do it. Cover them up and see if that does it. When I had TIR I had sunlight reflected off a car window coming thru a window shining a tiny spot on the ceiling at a certain time of day messed it all up!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »
Oh yeah mirrors or other reflective things are another thing that'll do it. Cover them up and see if that does it. When I had TIR I had sunlight reflected off a car window coming thru a window shining a tiny spot on the ceiling at a certain time of day messed it all up!

Drano I adjusted the blinds of the window right next to the computer and it appears to have helped. I think the bright glare and reflection off that window was the culprit

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
It doesn't take much. The cameras on the VR headsets seem to use IR light. Just as TIR does in either mode you'd use that. Sunlight has IR in it. When I was using TIR I had a problem with my view literally flipping upside down at times. It drove me nuts. I found it only happened during the day. I put the TIR software in camera view and found the tiny bit of sunlight it was seeing. What was happening was TIR looks for the specific pattern of dots. It saw the sunlight as another dot and it skewed my view. Blocking the sunlight from coming in the window solved it for me too.

The VR cameras seem to work just a little bit differently. Rather than look for a specific dot pattern like in TIR, they're looking at movement I think not unlike how an optical mouse sees the movement on a surface as you move it around. The headset has more cameras and more resolution but when it runs across that bit of sunlight it's like... What the hey?! And your view gets messed up just as it did with TIR. My guess on it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"