Author Topic: Windows 10 broke my internet.  (Read 3291 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Windows 10 broke my internet.
« on: July 12, 2020, 09:39:28 PM »
I picked up a Rift S, and thus was forced to update to windows 10, and now my internet connection has all kinds of issues.

System:

MSI Z97 PC mate motherboard. Intel I7 4790K. 16gb ram. EVGA GTX 970 ssc GPU

ISP is AT&T 4GL LTE over a combo modem/router

Symptoms:

-Sometimes it doesn't work at all, ethernet and/or wifi show up as "unknown network, no internet" and the troubleshooter gives me an " "ethernet" does not have a vailid IP configuration." message. Also same thing with "Wifi" instead of "ethernet"

-Sometimes it works just very, very slowly. Like I will be getting speeds of less then 56kbps, (right now I'm trying to download the oculus software and it's sitting at 5kbps) yet on my phone connected to the same router I get +40mbps

-When I start up my computer after being off for several hours it will work wonderfully at first, but then after about 10-15 minutes it will start to slow down to a crawl, and/or stop altogether.  Almost like it gets worse as the computer warms up.

-I ran pingplotter, concurrent with the speed slowing down, the packet loss also gets greater and greater till half or more of the pingplotter screen is red.

-None of these problems existed on windows 7, or exist on any other device connected to that network, phone and roku, and kindle.

Solutions I've tried:

-Updated drivers on network controllers
-Updated drivers on motherboard
-reset modem
-Turn all power saving settings to performance
-turned off any startup programs/clean boot
-turned off windows defender
-changed from automatic to manual IP address and DNS and back again
-using command prompt ran a bunch of netsh and ipconfig commands to reset winsock, and flush dns and release and renew IP config
-uninstalled and reinstalled network controllers from device manager
-tried a brand new ethernet cable, and a new mini USB wifi adapter.
-tried a new PCI ethernet card instead of the motherboard one.

I've never encountered such a ridiculous issue, been fighting this for a week now and Microsoft support has been no help.  I would just go back to windows 7 in a heartbeat, except then I can't run my brand new Rift S, but without internet, I can't even get software to use on it anyway.

EDIT: DXdiag now attached
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:18:14 PM by saggs »

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
Re: Windows 10 broke my internet.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:40:30 PM »
Ouch! I know how frustrating something like this can be. Please take a look at SpeedGuide.net, it might help solve your problems.

https://www.speedguide.net/
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:33:06 AM »
Now that's strange... You seem to have done most of the tricks in my book. Just in case, did you download the motherboard drivers from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-PC-Mate.html#down-driver&Win10%2064?

Looking at your DxDiag output, there's a couple of System devices with "n/a" as description for the driver. I checked my system and found out that I don't have any SM-bus drivers installed either so in that case "n/a" can mean "not applicable".

One thing worth trying is to uninstall the Nvidia audio driver and disable it in the Device Manager. Or was it the other way around to keep it from automatically reinstalling? Anyhow, if you don't use HDMI monitor speakers the Nvidia Audio is useless and can cause conflicts.

Yet another issue might be the version of Win10 you have. It's the latest one and not yet fully adjusted for all system combinations. If you want to do a clean install with the previous version, try https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=872132. Microsoft sent me the link for 1809 but as I just tried it offers the 1909 Media Creation Tool which is what I wanted. In the same post I got a link for 1803 which now offers 1809 so they seem to be changing the contents behind the links for more modern versions.

And of course my favourite trick: Shutdown by keeping the Shift button down while clicking Shutdown...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 05:10:05 AM »
One other little tip for uninstalling devices using Device Manager, in the menu at the top, select - View> Show hidden devices.

Expand - Network adapters - and look to see if there are any greyed out (hidden) network adapters/controllers to uninstall. If it gives you the option to uninstall the drivers too, check that option before clicking uninstall.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
Disable IPv6 on your Windows network settings?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
The problem signature is reporting the network issue, so have you installed drivers for your MB Network controller?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:52 PM »
The problem signature is reporting the network issue, so have you installed drivers for your MB Network controller?

Yes, straight from the MSI website. Didn't help

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 10:59:22 PM »
I tried to uninstall the NVIDIA audio driver, but it re-appears every time I reboot, even if I disable first.

Not sure what you mean about holding shift when shutting down, I tried it, didn't do anything.

I found no hidden network controllers, but did delete some other hidden stuff that was not needed, didn't help

I disabled IPv6 on the network controller, no change.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »
I guess I'll try running an older version of windows 10 next.

Will it install just like the 7 to 10 update did? Do I need to worry about losing programs or data?

I will probably have to download it onto my phone then transfer it to my computer to make that happen.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 01:55:18 AM »
I guess I'll try running an older version of windows 10 next.

Will it install just like the 7 to 10 update did? Do I need to worry about losing programs or data?

I will probably have to download it onto my phone then transfer it to my computer to make that happen.
CAUTION: 101 with alternative options ahead, read carefully and ask if you need more help!

First and foremost, a clean install ia most likely required which means you'll have to make backup copies of all your data including the AH settings folder. All your programs will also be lost so if there's any licensed programs whose codes you've lost, trying to find them is a must. If you can't find the codes, Belarc Advisor does a pretty good job in finding them.

Since you've updated from 7 to 10, there may still be time to roll it back to 7 just to get your Internet working. Start>Settings>Update & security>Recovery (on the left side bar) tells if it's still possible. If you can revert to 7, you can try upgrading without losing your files and programs, however with the risk of connection issues.

For installing you'll need a USB memory stick of 8 GB or more. The link in my previous post is for a Tool for creating an installation media which you should be able to do on your current system given the net works for the time needed. It's pretty self explanatory, just read and choose to create the media instead of upgrade. If you uncheck the "for this computer" you can use the stick on any computer for installing. It can also be used for upgrading from 7 or an earlier version of 10. If you manage to roll back to 7, create a universtal stick there. Then run the Tool again and try to upgrade your computer the way you did the first time.

If the rollback option is no longer available, boot from the stick. Before that unplug any extra hard disks just in case, leaving only your C drive. Again, it's pretty self explanatory. There's a big button saying "Install now", after that you'll have to accept the EULA. When you get to the window showing the partitions of your disk, delete them one by one until you only have one unallocated area. The installation will recreate them. When you get to the window where you're asked about a license code, choose the "I don't have it" link at the bottom. If you're then asked which version to install, it depends on your W7 license: Home>Home, Pro>Pro. Finally, when you get to the question "Who's going to use this computer" you can either continue the Microsoft account way or create a local account. For the latter there's a trick: Unplug from the Internet, then click the arrow back and you'll be asked for just a name instead of a MS account. Don't create a password at this stage, it can be added in the Settings if needed.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 04:24:22 AM »
Before you rollback to 7 and re-install 10 there might be a solution. I have had many problems with realtek adapters working in windows 10, mostly driver related.

I do see a potential problem in your dxdiag, have you tried the onboard LAN without any WiFi adapters? Or WiFi with the onboard LAN disabled in BIOS?

Your dxdiag shows both the TP-Link and onboard LAN using the same driver file that was supplied for the onboard LAN from MSI. (rt640x64.sys, 10.38.1118.2019 (English), 12/19/2019 21:46:08, 1160488 bytes) (they both could very well have the same model realtek network chip)

What is your desired configuration during normal day to day operations? WiFi or hardline LAN? Try getting that working 1st. Although having the onboard LAN work no matter what is nice.

Try this one at a time, either onboard LAN, or WiFi adapter, whichever you use most (assumes LAN cable connected):
 1)  Uninstall all WiFi/LAN drivers/software from Control Panel> Uninstall a program.
 2)  Shut down the computer.
 3)  Remove all WiFi adapters (PCIe and USB) from the computer per the manufacturer instructions.
 4)  Start computer to BIOS and disable onboard LAN, save changes and start.
 5)  Shut down and then start computer.
 6)  Open device manager and show hidden devices.
 7)  Uninstall all network adapters and drivers/software if given the option.
 8)  Shut down and then start computer.
 9)  If installing WiFi adapter you may need to install driver now before the adapter is installed, whatever the installation instructions say.
 10) Shut down the computer.
 11) If using onboard LAN, start computer, go in to BIOS, enable onboard LAN, save changes and start computer.
 12) If onboard LAN enabled, then install onboard driver you downloaded from MSI.
 13) If using WiFi, then install adapter using manufacturer instructions.
 14) If WiFi adapter installed, start computer, install driver/software (if not already), then connect to your WiFi.

If you used WiFi and got it working, leave WiFi enabled, then try enabling onboard LAN in BIOS and installing drivers for that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:01:34 AM by Drane »

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »
Whatever you decide to do, you should remove the wifi adapter or disable the onboard LAN before you install windows 10 next time.

Otherwise the computer might well end up with the same problem as the first time it was upgraded to windows 10.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »
I remembered this thread and ran across this article on my random news reader. Seems this is a known bug. Pesky windows! Check out this article.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-windows-10s-latest-no-internet-connection-bu-1844458254

I got a windows update as I logged on to fly FSO this past week and whatever it did it removed all my stick associations and mapping in AH and also decided the VKB software was a virus and removed it! For some reason the one several versions older was OK. By the time I got everything sorted out it was too late to fly. Those bastids!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »
I still have this problem.

I keep hoping some windows update will come out that will magically fix it.  For the last month or so I've just been putting up with it, plus I was gone for 2 weeks and using my phone for a lot more internet stuff.

But now I have some photos I did that people are waiting on, and I cannot upload them. I might have to borrow somebodies Laptop to upload them (Only computer I have is this desktop)  I'm scared to try the install older Windows 10 version fix, but I'm out of other options I think.

Only other possibility I can think of is to buy a different motherboard and try it.

Microsoft support is still no help at all.

Sooo frustrating.   :bhead

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 01:41:02 AM »
I'm scared to try the install older Windows 10 version fix, but I'm out of other options I think.
Well...

First, the Registry modification in Drano's link is simple enough to perform and revert in case it doesn't work. Worth trying.

Have you run "sfc /scannow" from Administrator Command Prompt or Admin Power Shell?
If it finds problems but can't fix them, running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" might help, especially when you run "sfc /scannow" again after successfully restoring health.

If RestoreHealth fails (happened to me once, it couldn't find the online media!) there's still hope. Instead of doing a full clean reinstall to an earlier version you can do a repair install to fix your current Windows. Download the Tool at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to create a booting USB stick. During the process there's a check box for "this computer", in your case it doesn't matter since you're going to use it for that very computer. I always uncheck it since I use it for several PC's. When you've created the media, run the Setup.exe FROM WITHIN WINDOWS, don't boot from the stick. Also, when it asks about the code, leave it empty since it's already electronically assigned to your system.

After the repair install reinstall all drivers just in case.

Kotisivuni