Author Topic: Wifes’s Phantom Incentive Ride  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wifes’s Phantom Incentive Ride
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 08:41:38 PM »
I loved reading Earl's posts as much as yours. I am glad he influenced you to start posting. I am sorry you didn't get to fly together.
Both of you represent both America's and aviation's best. It has been both educational and entertaining to read everything both of you posted.
Thank you!

Can't write it up better than streakeagle just did.  Agreed x6.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »

- oldman

Yes... but you can try...  you old coot.  :D
 :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
Shame the powers that be wouldn't go for a real flight. At least the wives got a chance to see hoe their husbands work and some experience in the jet.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »
I loved reading Earl's posts as much as yours. I am glad he influenced you to start posting. I am sorry you didn't get to fly together.
Both of you represent both America's and aviation's best. It has been both educational and entertaining to read everything both of you posted.
Thank you!

:salute

- oldman

Thanks gents!  ET had such a wealth of knowledge and experience.  There was a lot t learn listening to his stories and participating in his missions.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
Damn Puma, I too truly enjoy hearing about your history in the Air Force.

Ya gotta forgive me but I always end up with tech questions.
a: Did the Phantom fly reliably or was it common to leave snags in the Log for your crew Chief (like the DC9 was).

b: Clearly you needed ground air to start the engines. Can't imagine an APU in a military jet (weight). But could you crossbleed if necessary or maybe even bleed from another proximate jet?

Thanks. Sorry to bug.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »
Damn Puma, I too truly enjoy hearing about your history in the Air Force.

Ya gotta forgive me but I always end up with tech questions.
a: Did the Phantom fly reliably or was it common to leave snags in the Log for your crew Chief (like the DC9 was).

b: Clearly you needed ground air to start the engines. Can't imagine an APU in a military jet (weight). But could you crossbleed if necessary or maybe even bleed from another proximate jet?

Thanks. Sorry to bug.

You’re not bugging.  As you know, the only stupid question is the one that isn’t asked. Bring em on!

A.  If flown regularly, it was pretty reliable.  If a Phantom sat around for any length of time, the gremlins started nesting and reproducing.  Then, it would be challenging to get one airborne.  We had one at Moody that had a brake failure.  Over a month’s time, maintenance rebuilt the entire brake system on the affected side trying to track down the gremlins after several pilot post flight write ups and brake failures.

B.   No crossbleed, except for a lever used by crew chiefs to switch ground air from one engine to the other.  Airstarts were a matter of airspeed and altitude in a predetermined airstart envelope.  The military had Dash 60 ground power units that were plentiful at any base for air and electric.

The newer F-Teen jets have APUs for self starting capability.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
You’re not bugging.  As you know, the only stupid question is the one that isn’t asked. Bring em on!

A.  If flown regularly, it was pretty reliable.  If a Phantom sat around for any length of time, the gremlins started nesting and reproducing.  Then, it would be challenging to get one airborne.  We had one at Moody that had a brake failure.  Over a month’s time, maintenance rebuilt the entire brake system on the affected side trying to track down the gremlins after several pilot post flight write ups and brake failures.

B.   No crossbleed, except for a lever used by crew chiefs to switch ground air from one engine to the other.  Airstarts were a matter of airspeed and altitude in a predetermined airstart envelope.  The military had Dash 60 ground power units that were plentiful at any base for air and electric.

The newer F-Teen jets have APUs for self starting capability.

Thanks for that Puma.

Like you mentioned I don't know of any airplanes that don't grumble like hell if left idle. The airlines have huge portions of their fleets idle right now... I'm sure you can imagine how they are going to "burp" when they're re-activated.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »
Thanks for that Puma.

Like you mentioned I don't know of any airplanes that don't grumble like hell if left idle. The airlines have huge portions of their fleets idle right now... I'm sure you can imagine how they are going to "burp" when they're re-activated.

Oh man!  Isn’t that the truth.  The poor maintenance guys are going to have their hands full.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »
Imagine those third world carriers. May see a lot of planes planted.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
Thanks Puma for another great story !

As for Earl, I remember one day when he flew his B17 in Main Arena close to our base, molested by 2 enemy Ki-84's , I flew in from the side on the closest one and manage to kill its engine, and the other broke off his attack on the B17.

Earl said "I never though I would be happy to see a FW190".

<S> Earl
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Thanks Save!  Glad you enjoyed it.  :aok

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 10:20:07 AM »
Great read!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »
Thanks Bodi!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
Bodhi! How the heck are ya! Long time / no see!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 04:09:11 PM »
Great read!

It's all part of the upcoming book........
80th FS "Headhunters"