Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9672 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »
not really sure what kind of fight you are looking for, i don't have a problem finding one and I'm not really the best player around.

and btw some players won't fight yak3s, i know i don't.

as for smaller maps, they have all kinds of problems on their own.  from ack and ords being down for hours due to strats being so close together to maps getting rolled in no time late at night or early morning. think the combination of both large and small we have now is good.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 05:47:08 PM »
Rule #4 chain
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:55:16 AM by hitech »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »
Rule #4 chain
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:55:30 AM by hitech »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
Rule #4 chain
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:55:42 AM by hitech »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 07:05:40 PM »
Rule #4 chain
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:57:13 AM by hitech »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
I agree that a new plane or tank isn't going to fix AH's issues. If issues are what we are going to call them.

Personally, I think HTC should add a 5 plane/GV group to a "Free to play" mode active in the main arena. To add to more player "group" incentive add perk points to missions. When missions are completed give players who participate perks/added points. Sure your going to get those that try to "work" the system but those that participate are the ones that will drive the "good play" in the arena.

More players working TOGETHER will bring back that camaraderie that we use to have. The more players that work together, the more players in an area, the more players fighting to accomplish a goal, be it defend a front or attack it.

At this point HTC seems to be running a flat line. COuld these changes boost the line up? I dont know but staying where they are has been proven NOT to boost anything. Maybe its time for some of these changes.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »

Since we already know where everybody is regardless of vehicle or altitude, why do we need a terrain at all?

We've been funneled into a specific type of game play and the variety is pretty much gone.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »
Since we already know where everybody is regardless of vehicle or altitude, why do we need a terrain at all?

We've been funneled into a specific type of game play and the variety is pretty much gone.

Ah ..... space ..... the final frontier. These are the battles of Vipers versus Cylons. Forever lost in space. Refueling and rearming via powerups. To infinity and beyond.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
When the #s are low in the off hours and there are a lot of bases, especially if all teams cannot reach each other like Crater or BowlMA, it creates spread out limited action. For a new guy, they might not see anything going on, and won't know where to go to make their impact. If there is one red dot in an area and its a 15K p51. There isnt much ambition to roll.

A couple of ideas I think might be good are:

Colored zones that provide more perks and create a path to action for people, so that certain areas are more important than others.

Continue to make more maps with 15 mile max distance bases that are smaller in size. Heck, even 10 mile bases would be fine. Flying a whole sector for 1 red dot is too time consuming for the potential reward. 

Change the maps at 3AM Estern to 9AM est that would be suitable for Euro players, have 5-6 smaller maps for this time zone. (May or may not be good for some but would create more action for off hours time zones.)

When players can hop onto a map, find a good fight, and be apart of it, that's when the #s start to pick up.

When players hop on to a map, see hardly nothing going on, with 1 plane dars in a few sectors, thats when people log to find something more actionable.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 04:33:58 PM »
When the #s are low in the off hours and there are a lot of bases, especially if all teams cannot reach each other like Crater or BowlMA, it creates spread out limited action. For a new guy, they might not see anything going on, and won't know where to go to make their impact. If there is one red dot in an area and its a 15K p51. There isnt much ambition to roll.

A couple of ideas I think might be good are:

Colored zones that provide more perks and create a path to action for people, so that certain areas are more important than others.

Continue to make more maps with 15 mile max distance bases that are smaller in size. Heck, even 10 mile bases would be fine. Flying a whole sector for 1 red dot is too time consuming for the potential reward. 

Change the maps at 3AM Estern to 9AM est that would be suitable for Euro players, have 5-6 smaller maps for this time zone. (May or may not be good for some but would create more action for off hours time zones.)

When players can hop onto a map, find a good fight, and be apart of it, that's when the #s start to pick up.

When players hop on to a map, see hardly nothing going on, with 1 plane dars in a few sectors, thats when people log to find something more actionable.

Not a bad idea to change map size for euro players.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 07:21:39 PM »
Just have to get the timing right with a change like that...
There is a notable difference when a map has been won in your wee smalls .... that equates to my 8pm -midnight, 1-2 am ... Aussie is 6pm - midnight.... we can have single digits for a few hours when it is won at the wrong time... and with those numbers all you get are scattered dar bar over the map of bombers headed to strats... when the map isn't won and that momentum is still going..sure we have low numbers but they are active numbers...

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »

I don't understand why people log after a map is won or lost because a lot of fun can be had from a fresh reset.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »
I don't understand why people log after a map is won or lost because a lot of fun can be had from a fresh reset.

My theory is a lot of them were sticking around to see it to the end.  Once it's done, so are they.

Personally I really like fresh maps.  Great time to go buff hunting.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »
Oops.... LOL. I am evidently a member of the Chain Gang now.

Hehehe. Sorry HT.  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 06:30:32 AM »
Time for my plug for a request for AI enemies again...this could provide a minimum of players..maybe 100? At least 30 in each country at any given time?

The AI numbers would change based off the number of real players online and the map size/number of bases.

This could provide much more entertainment and possibilities during the slower hours.

Defense actions and offensive missions would be supplemented with AI until numbers of live players met the miminum for that country.

AI skills would range from newbie to ace.

Imagine having an AI Bong in his P38 with super  ace AI skills trying to blow you out of the sky?  Any of the WW2 aces?

Sounds cool to me.

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals