Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9660 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
IMHO... smaller maps would kill the bomber  :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »
Max alt with air starts if the maps got that small

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »
Just keep a rear uncapturable base. Would give buffs something they can up from safely.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2020, 12:21:41 AM »
-1 Fuel is free.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2020, 01:11:52 PM »
Max alt with air starts if the maps got that small

<S>

Eagler

Sorry Eagler but that will interfere with my wine break  :D
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:32 PM »
Since we already know where everybody is regardless of vehicle or altitude, why do we need a terrain at all?

We've been funneled into a specific type of game play and the variety is pretty much gone.
The problem with AH has always been that the folks who run AH know how they want people to fight and will come up with incredibly arcane rules to ensure everyone adheres to that vision. Nowadays, there are lots of places where folks can simply log on and fight as they like. Those places are crowded.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »
The problem with AH has always been that the folks who run AH know how they want people to fight and will come up with incredibly arcane rules to ensure everyone adheres to that vision. Nowadays, there are lots of places where folks can simply log on and fight as they like. Those places are crowded.

If you ever had a company that dealt with people, you would actually know what you are talking about.

No matter what is changed, I'm sure you'll complain anyway.

You prefer to fly the monsters even when you are the high number side. Just how is that good for the game?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2020, 01:57:35 AM »
If you ever had a company that dealt with people, you would actually know what you are talking about.

How do you know that he does not have such a company?  Also, do you really think you need to own a company dealing with people to see the issue?  Is it not enough to be a customer to see?

The OP is correct.  The thing is people have different thresholds and so they leave slowly as their personal threshold is reached rather than en mass.  That, combined with lots of conflicting feedback, makes it hard for Hitech to decide which way to move the game.  He has made some changes and whilst they looked right at first they actually proved to be detrimental to the fighting side of the game.  I am thinking particularly of the all seeing radar to track planes, I found people used it to avoid contact and I simply got bored chasing people rather than fighting people.  I left.

Add that to the large maps and invisible GVs - how the hell do you expect people to find a fight?  Game is good to milk running buff pilots and sneak attack GVs but terrible for a modern day knight of the sky.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2020, 06:03:07 AM »
How do you know that he does not have such a company? 

Simple.... by his post.

You too spend so much time complaining that you have no idea how enjoyable it can be in the MA. You want it your way...  forget everyone else.

Can't please everyone. Some do not want to be eased.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 06:35:13 AM »
How do you know that he does not have such a company?  Also, do you really think you need to own a company dealing with people to see the issue?  Is it not enough to be a customer to see?

The OP is correct.  The thing is people have different thresholds and so they leave slowly as their personal threshold is reached rather than en mass.  That, combined with lots of conflicting feedback, makes it hard for Hitech to decide which way to move the game.  He has made some changes and whilst they looked right at first they actually proved to be detrimental to the fighting side of the game.  I am thinking particularly of the all seeing radar to track planes, I found people used it to avoid contact and I simply got bored chasing people rather than fighting people.  I left.

Add that to the large maps and invisible GVs - how the hell do you expect people to find a fight?  Game is good to milk running buff pilots and sneak attack GVs but terrible for a modern day knight of the sky.

This Friday night at 11pm Est, every Monday night at 8pm and KOTH are times when A2A is at its best in AH these days IMO

As I don't enjoy IL2 or DCS like I do AH, it is still the best online experience for me.

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »
I am thinking particularly of the all seeing radar to track planes, I found people used it to avoid contact and I simply got bored chasing people rather than fighting people.  I left.

That's what you see.  While people still run, IMO they run when they see something red co-alt anyways, regardless of the dar.  I noticed when the blips within icon of a friendly came in, there was a marked uptick in people who would respond to an enemy attack.  If it's not a visible dot on radar, it doesn't exist to 90% of the players.  I think that was an improvement.

Getting co-e with most people results in an ack drag.  I don't think the dar has a material effect on that.

Most people don't want to die and will do just about anything to avoid it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
Most people don't want to die and will do just about anything to avoid it.

Probably more so if it took 15 minutes to get there, and will take 15 minutes to get back.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2020, 10:56:51 AM »
Probably more so if it took 15 minutes to get there, and will take 15 minutes to get back.

The closer bases are a bit of a double-edged sword too though.  It seems to me the shorter distances between bases mean people get pushed back to their bases more quickly and it makes it more common where you wind up with a bunch of people at alt just outside ack range trying to kill the ack draggers.

You don't see as many clashes halfway in between the two bases because your ack is close enough to drag to if you meet in the middle.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
The closer bases are a bit of a double-edged sword too though.  It seems to me the shorter distances between bases mean people get pushed back to their bases more quickly and it makes it more common where you wind up with a bunch of people at alt just outside ack range trying to kill the ack draggers.

You don't see as many clashes halfway in between the two bases because your ack is close enough to drag to if you meet in the middle.

Wiley.

I see what you are saying. That being said, farther bases creates bigger hoards. If I can't roll from a back base to defend it because its 30 miles away, that means the hoard can take over and vulch easily. Further bases also create higher alt monkeys. The further it takes to get to a base, the higher they will get as they have farther to travel. Some of these maps I feel like there are spots where another base should go that would provide much better fights.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
I think alt monkeys are universal regardless of field distance.  If they're going to alt monkey, they're going to do it regardless of map.  I know I do.

I really wish there was some way to incentivize people to fight as opposed to ack drag, but they're going to do what they're going to do no matter what.  I've had a guy ack drag me from literally over my base to his base because I came in co-alt.

The upside to this game is you get to create your own situation, you're not really forced into much of anything.  The downside is, your enemies do too.

Wiley.

JG11