Author Topic: Mic troubleshooting  (Read 648 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Mic troubleshooting
« on: July 19, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »
My old mic (a Logitech) worked great until this time around.

My desktop is Win7 and using the microphone setup option it will pick up me speaking, but the test bar only shows it going at most about a quarter of the way of the scale. 

I bought a new wireless headset and it does the same thing as far as how much it detects my voice in the Windows mic setup. At first after install and setup in FSO squaddies could hear me, but then I got discoed and they could not afterwards. Since then I went through the setup and Windows test again and at times players in the MA could hear me, but most said they could not.

Any suggestions to try?

Thank you.
Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mic troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 01:03:00 PM »
I suppose you have the slider at full. How about the gain percentage? It may be hidden in the advanced settings.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:45:06 AM »
Does your headset setup menu have a side tone slider?  My new Logitech headset mic wouldn’t work until the slider was moved up from the bottom of the scale.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »
Goto clipboard,select voice,then move slider all the way to right and check box mic boost.

Then set tune able channel Box V IIRC and type your handle in,then use "T" to transmit,you will hear your own vox. Then make adjustments as needed. You will need to be online and in an arena like the TA or MA.

Use the keyboard first then test the button as it could be a bad button/switch.

Hope that helps.

:salute

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »
Thank you Morfiend.

So I think this is playing a role:

I have DSL, my frame rates at times go all over the place. When I set the mic to myself I often only hear the last part of what I said.

Also, when I use the mic the screen will freeze for a moment quite regularly.

I know Cable beats DSL, but could it be that bad it’s causing all this? Or a combination of a Bluetooth mic to my computer and also DSL?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
bluetooth mic?

I would think that's the issue,try I mic thats wired,or second best a USB mic,personally I would use a wired mic but I bet you see your issue go away.

You can pick up a cheap headset and give that a try,or beg,borrow or steal one just to test,do the tune to yourself and see if it doesnt clear up the issue.

USB and bluetooth will steal cpu cycles and not take advantage of onboard or a sound card.

I bought a cheapy headset for 20 bucks at wally world and it works fine,doesnt compare with my good set for sound but I used it to trouble shoot and then connected it to a second machine.

Give it a try and plz report back.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:23:32 AM »
Thank you Morfiend.

I used to use a Logitech wired and always was reliable.

With Covid I’ve been avoiding going to Wally World. I will look to see if they carry it in store before I go. The cords really didn’t bother me that much, but I went to our Fry’s Electronics and all they had were USB Bluetooth...their shelves are really empty.