Author Topic: Oculus Quest setup questions  (Read 1070 times)

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
Oculus Quest setup questions
« on: July 19, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
Hello all,

Well, I made the jump! Got an Oculus Quest 128GB and getting things setup. I'm all set with the native apps and the firmware update in the headset. No issues there. I successfully connected via USB 3.0 to the PC and that checks good from the Oculus app. Now to the hard part...

I'm using Aces High III from the Steam App. My process is to launch Oculus Link, then launch Steam, and click 'play' on Aces High. When the options come up I try "launch directly in Oculus in VR Mode" and...nothing. The game says it's running on the steam library page. The Aces High icon shows in my start bar and it briefly launches the game window to a black screen (the one that has the main menu lobby with HTC logo and background music).

I get a notice from Oculus that my system may be under minimum specifications, but upon review I'm confused as to whether/not it meets minimum Oculus specs. When I run the Steam VR Performance app, it's pegged to the green as ready-to-go and above what is needed for high-quality VR.
Specs for reference:
- CPU: Intel G4400 "Skylake", 3.3 GHz (this is the one part of the specs I'm unsure of. Their minimum processor is a core i5-4590, which is older than mine, sports a 4 core/4 thread setup - lower bus speed - higher cache; whereas mine has 2 core/2 thread - higher bus speed - but lower cache)
- Mem: 8GB RAM
- GPU: GTX 1070 w/8GB video memory

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? I'm really looking to get this set up and running as quickly and smoothly as possible. Other Oculus users make the switch to Quest? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:13:13 PM by SpinDoc1 »
AKSpnDoc
Spin Doc's Aces High VR Video channel! https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Oculus Quest setup questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 08:31:44 PM »
Hi SpinDoc,

I did this quick online to compare the 2 CPU's:  https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590/3539vs2604

Looks like the i5 is quite a bit superior in performance.....so your cpu may indeed be your weak link.  Good luck with VR, I have a Rift and love it!  Hope this helps a bit with figuring it all out.....

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
Hi SpinDoc,

I did this quick online to compare the 2 CPU's:  https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590/3539vs2604

Looks like the i5 is quite a bit superior in performance.....so your cpu may indeed be your weak link.  Good luck with VR, I have a Rift and love it!  Hope this helps a bit with figuring it all out.....

Thx DaddyAce, appreciate the comparison, that actually helped me understand the differences a lot! Looks like I'll be wanting to go up from there, maybe a i7-6700K? A little pricey, but could help future proof a bit. Thanks for the info!
AKSpnDoc

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 09:30:57 PM »
You're welcome SpinDoc.  I recently upgraded to an i7-9700K, but I think you'd need a new motherboard as well to go that route.   My puter engineer son recently built a machine around a new AMD chip, as have been popular with folks in here.  From what I was able to glean online some months ago the consensus seemed to be that single core speed was the most important factor for VR performance, so I went with the i7-9700K, because at least on my motherboard it quickly boosts to a turbo frequency of 4.9 Ghz.   

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »
I ran the Quest via the native Oculus app and the non-steam AH install.

For CPU I run an I7-7700k + 1060. There is a ~20% drop in framerate from the Rift CV1 to the Quest. So there is a definite CPU hit in using the Quest.

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »

For CPU I run an I7-7700k + 1060. There is a ~20% drop in framerate from the Rift CV1 to the Quest. So there is a definite CPU hit in using the Quest.

That's an interesting idea (non-Steam route), I'm going to try it!
AKSpnDoc

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 11:47:48 PM »

Got it working. OMG, this is like easy mode in-game! It's butter smooth, even with my system, I simply cannot believe how it works this well, amazing.

I'm having the same issue as another poster, where every time I take the headset off it resets my controls, so the joystick force feedback and rudder twist go away, as well as all the controller mapping I have setup. So will need to read up on the fixes there. Wow, I am so excited. Thanks again for the input. Now to get my account subscription off of Steam and into the native game...
AKSpnDoc

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 04:10:09 AM »
Got it working. OMG, this is like easy mode in-game! It's butter smooth, even with my system, I simply cannot believe how it works this well, amazing.

I'm having the same issue as another poster, where every time I take the headset off it resets my controls, so the joystick force feedback and rudder twist go away, as well as all the controller mapping I have setup. So will need to read up on the fixes there. Wow, I am so excited. Thanks again for the input. Now to get my account subscription off of Steam and into the native game...
Not sure about how Oculus Quest works, as compared to the RiftS...I run the RiftS with Hand Controllers "disabled" in AH:Options:Control Mapping...! I had a problem early on with RiftCK1 and S, that if I didnt disable the Hand Controllers....it would behave as you are describing!?!?   CRAP...ANOTHER AK...to watch out for! LOL  :rofl :aok :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 12:09:17 AM »
Quest works exactly the same as Rift.

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 02:57:55 PM »
So I did a little more experimenting...

I did a DirectX11 install to my hard drive, but after discussing with HiTech/Dale via phone, this is NOT the route I wanted to go. Reason is, my account is linked to Steam, there's no way to login/logout from there to transfer to the direct installed software version.

That being said, I did notice that the Quest requires a little hand-holding in order to get it logged into the game. I had to launch the Oculus app, then use the "Enable Oculus Link (Beta)" function. It results in a reduced desktop-resolution (in-visor) view, but then you can either navigate from there or lift your headset momentarily to launch AH from Steam: then choose either the "Play Aces High III" option or the (paraphrased) "Launch Aces High in Oculus VR Mode." If you chose the first option, when AH launches, it should pop up with an option "do you wish to use your Oculus VR?" to which you would click 'yes.'

Then you're in! When operating through Steam, I had all my original planes, perks, skins, controller mappings, etc. The part I still need to work out is audio assignments. It keeps defaulting to the Oculus speaker and microphone, but my wife says it's annoying out loud. So I have to manually adjust to the computer speakers and separate mic and then wear headphones on top of that.

Small price to pay, this thing is IN.CRE.DI.BLE. I can see much better out of the cockpit and for gunnery. It ups the realism by a factor of brain-melt. Here's my first video I took, I'm in 190A8 vs. 190D9. It's a long fight, about 17 mins total, but hopefully you can watch and see the immersion. I didn't use any cheats during the fight like 'hi-hat' for views, I was actually cranking my neck around in real-world trying to find this guy. Was a really great, fun fight. This will keep me coming back for decades.

https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI (posting here and in films/screenshots)
AKSpnDoc

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 12:24:02 AM »
So I did a little more experimenting...

I did a DirectX11 install to my hard drive, but after discussing with HiTech/Dale via phone, this is NOT the route I wanted to go. Reason is, my account is linked to Steam, there's no way to login/logout from there to transfer to the direct installed software version.

That being said, I did notice that the Quest requires a little hand-holding in order to get it logged into the game. I had to launch the Oculus app, then use the "Enable Oculus Link (Beta)" function. It results in a reduced desktop-resolution (in-visor) view, but then you can either navigate from there or lift your headset momentarily to launch AH from Steam: then choose either the "Play Aces High III" option or the (paraphrased) "Launch Aces High in Oculus VR Mode." If you chose the first option, when AH launches, it should pop up with an option "do you wish to use your Oculus VR?" to which you would click 'yes.'

Then you're in! When operating through Steam, I had all my original planes, perks, skins, controller mappings, etc. The part I still need to work out is audio assignments. It keeps defaulting to the Oculus speaker and microphone, but my wife says it's annoying out loud. So I have to manually adjust to the computer speakers and separate mic and then wear headphones on top of that.

Small price to pay, this thing is IN.CRE.DI.BLE. I can see much better out of the cockpit and for gunnery. It ups the realism by a factor of brain-melt. Here's my first video I took, I'm in 190A8 vs. 190D9. It's a long fight, about 17 mins total, but hopefully you can watch and see the immersion. I didn't use any cheats during the fight like 'hi-hat' for views, I was actually cranking my neck around in real-world trying to find this guy. Was a really great, fun fight. This will keep me coming back for decades.

https://youtu.be/BKk7_OOHkgI (posting here and in films/screenshots)
Once again? ANOTHER AK to deal with?  :rofl  VR is almost like "cheating"!I bought 1 for most of my Squad Mates(still working to get the rest caught up! UL's and BWs)...I loved it so much! Closure Rates are easier to judge, you are IN THE PLANE...you will notice that your Shots become WAY CLOSER(may need to adjust convergence due to this..I did)! Dont know if you have heard of this, but Voice Attack program is a GREAT TOOL in VR! You can use it free...with I think only 10 commands? Beats looking around your nose or taking of the Headset, when using ". Commands"/ to type! Its CHEAP if you buy a Licence! Frustration Stopper par none! Feel like Clint Eastwood in "Fire Fox"! :old:  Great for setting salvo,delay,Auto Pilot Modes, returning Salutes,Auto Climb Speeds and responding to WTG messages! I even have a command for Elevator trim, when getting G lock! OH watermelon OH CHIT....Saved my arse more than once  :rofl

DANG IT PAR! Now why did you have to help this feller!!!???? Sorry NON- AK'S, my BAD! :rofl Also...VR and NON VR settings are in different folders! WELCOME TO THE VIRTUAL SKIES!!!! WAIT...WHAT? Ok...Welcome ONLY when you guys are GREEN  :rofl I LOVE you guys! WAIT...WHAT?  :bolt:      :rofl   OH! All that "Cranking of the neck", as BUSTR calls it, CHAIR YOGA? Most exercise I get these days :rofl Dont be afraid of using the "Hat Switch+ VR Function"! Soon enough, you wont need it! It helps to reduce frustration in the beginning! My Niece doesnt use that function, like you! Might be a "Chair Choice" issue?  EH....CHECK 6, Brother! :rock
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:57:16 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline SpinDoc1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »
Once again? ANOTHER AK to deal with?  :rofl  VR is almost like "cheating"!I bought 1 for most of my Squad Mates(still working to get the rest caught up! UL's and BWs)...I loved it so much! Closure Rates are easier to judge, you are IN THE PLANE...you will notice that your Shots become WAY CLOSER(may need to adjust convergence due to this..I did)! Dont know if you have heard of this, but Voice Attack program is a GREAT TOOL in VR! You can use it free...with I think only 10 commands? Beats looking around your nose or taking of the Headset, when using ". Commands"/ to type! Its CHEAP if you buy a Licence! Frustration Stopper par none! Feel like Clint Eastwood in "Fire Fox"! :old:  Great for setting salvo,delay,Auto Pilot Modes, returning Salutes,Auto Climb Speeds and responding to WTG messages! I even have a command for Elevator trim, when getting G lock! OH watermelon OH CHIT....Saved my arse more than once  :rofl

DANG IT PAR! Now why did you have to help this feller!!!???? Sorry NON- AK'S, my BAD! :rofl Also...VR and NON VR settings are in different folders! WELCOME TO THE VIRTUAL SKIES!!!! WAIT...WHAT? Ok...Welcome ONLY when you guys are GREEN  :rofl I LOVE you guys! WAIT...WHAT?  :bolt:      :rofl   OH! All that "Cranking of the neck", as BUSTR calls it, CHAIR YOGA? Most exercise I get these days :rofl Dont be afraid of using the "Hat Switch+ VR Function"! Soon enough, you wont need it! It helps to reduce frustration in the beginning! My Niece doesnt use that function, like you! Might be a "Chair Choice" issue?  EH....CHECK 6, Brother! :rock

I've had some good fights with you (I'm on the losing end, always :-) This is great advice about Voice Attack, will definitely check it out. Any recommendations for setup with those 10 commands? Are they all user editable, as if 10 is the limit, or are they 10 pre-canned commands?

I have tried the reverse hi-hat view combined with VR, and it works well. In this particular match I really wanted the full feel. Having flown in high-performance jets before, and in dogfights (training, of course), I tried to understand position and keeping SA on the bogey. In AH, it actually feels really similar, although in real life under G, it's...tough.

I look forward to optimizing this setup, VR is absolutely an incredible game-changer and I'm so glad HiTech implemented full support for it.

AK's...CHARGE!!!
AKSpnDoc

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 01:14:10 PM »
 :aok Yep...I agree! Why I stated "in a bit, you wont even need the HAT". You judge closer so much better , you can keep most bandits in sight by just acting quicker :aok  Yes the VAttack commands are all open! You can use "Speed": Auto climb, "Gear": gear up/down....even can program button presses for text,(macros if iirc?) though I dont use that. You just need to take some time and "Train" Microsofts Speech engine. Its straightforward, you just read a Text so computer can get used to your speech patterns. Maybe a bit more,I used through 3rd preset text readings...but I am a "hick" :D  Set up is quite easy! One button for "listen while pressed" and just say your command word. "When I say:" in the box "Gear,Salvo 1, salvo 2, salvo 6, ect... Then go to "Recorder"(for key strokes) and just type as normal.../.salvo 1 enter ... and Radio buffer comes up and voila . I use the"record all pauses" and "minimize all pauses at .02seconds" options on, as it types the command in game smoother. So its pretty easy :cheers:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »
Still need the straight up and 6 hat views

When used with VR you can easily track a bogie curling around you, pick the cut off angle and toast them.

<S>

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 05:05:05 AM »
Still need the straight up and 6 hat views

When used with VR you can easily track a bogie curling around you, pick the cut off angle and toast them.

<S>

Eagler
TRUE!!!! I still have these views mapped! Just in-case some BF-109F guy starts picking on my Spitfire in Match Play :rofl  Brother, you have NO IDEA as toward the feeling Lilblizz was left with, after you guys went HTH! She has picked those films 6 ways from Sunday lol Now to teach her how to put her Recognition's of Mistakes in to action!  I do my best...but as you know...I had to go to the SpitV to beat ya, he other day? HILARIOUS !! I go Spit..you go 109-F...Felt like cheating(after you "roasted me in tthe XVI)...So I go 109-f...you in Spit V!  :rofl :rofl BIG LAUGH...until Lilblzz, who was watching over my shoulder says" YEAH! OOPSY....maybe I should fly with HIM!! " I blame SIS  :rofl