Author Topic: Good WW2 FPS online games?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Good WW2 FPS online games?
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
Gentlemen:

I was wondering if some of you could suggest some good WW2 FPS games? I am finally updating my old, slow computer. My son has already purchased a hot rod rig. Even my grandson is getting into it.

Basically, we are looking for a fun, online game that is focused more towards action rather than the big, strategic win the war stuff. Primarily an infantry game; not WW2 Online with all the attendant hardware.

We know about Call of Duty series. My son doubled his kill rate when he went from the Playstation to the new fast computer.

Although not a WW2 game, we've been playing some America's Army. It has the fast paced action we seek. So something like that maybe?

Appreciate the input.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Good WW2 FPS online games?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:38 AM »
Hell Let Loose would be my number one recommendation. It has a sophisticated comms system and a great gun model. The servers are 100  people, so there is plenty to shoot at and cooperate with. It is not an arcade and plays more like Squad. I really have no complaints about it except that it is an FPS and I generally do not play them often.

Post Scriptum is along those same lines as Hell Let Loose, but it seems to be less polished. I do not own it so I cannot comment to a great extent on it.

Battlefield 5 is a WWII Battlefield. It is a bit of an arcade and has your typical Battlefield models, ballistics, and issues.

Red Orchestra 2 is aging, but for a very long time was the best WWII FPS on the market. It is still great, although it looks 10 years old because it is.

Finally, Heroes and Generals is a lot of fun. This game was an ambitious attempt  at a better WWII Online and did not miss by much. You choose a country to play as in the war, which is real time and dynamic. All of the soldiers, tanks, planes, etc. are owned by players and the players move their units around the map. I'll not explain it away here, but Heroes and Generals is free and  worth checking out.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
IMHO,

I prepayed for Battlefield V.  and hated it.  I would not recommenced that version.  I've played every Battelfield since 2002 so that takes a lot for me to hate one.

It's not WWII, but Battlefield 1 is pretty fun on the lighter side.  Battlefield 4 can be picked up for $20 and is completely awesome.  Favorite  FPS of all times and the servers are still full every evening.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 12:03:16 PM »
BFV is hot garbage, but kids may like it.

Hell Let Loose is the best in my opinion, very tactical and working as a squad is a must for success. It’s in early access so it’s being updated regularly, so it does have issues from time to ti
E but they clean them up. It’s only 12 guys from Sydney so they do what the can, so far it’s amazing.

Hero’s & Generals is free to play but a mayor grind fest if you don’t pay. Not as good as it use to be.

I haven’t played Post Scriptum in a year or 2, was in early stages at the time and ran like garbage on my pc. It’s been cleaned up and very similar to HLL, more gv’s. Not as pretty if graphics mean much.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »
I'm not interested in the WarThunder buythis/buythat system.

I'll pay for a game but not to get better weapons, etc.

Hell Let Loose does look pretty good.

Stumbled across an Alpha too, called Enlisted. Have to watch a couple of youtubes on that.

Thanks for the input! Keep em coming.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
I'm not interested in the WarThunder buythis/buythat system.

I'll pay for a game but not to get better weapons, etc.

Hell Let Loose does look pretty good.

Stumbled across an Alpha too, called Enlisted. Have to watch a couple of youtubes on that.

Thanks for the input! Keep em coming.

I believe Enlisted is made by the same guys doing war thunder. Going to be the same type of system.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:01:12 PM »
Day of Infamy is also good, basically an updated version of Day of Defeat.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »
I was noticing that I still have an account active with HAG. I enjoyed it, well enough. I didn't find the grind to oppressive. The only thing I didn't like is the youngsters who like to play constant hoppity hop on foot while firing like I suppose they learned to do in other FPS games.

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
Some other fun games id recommend are rising storm 2 and killing floor 2. They aren't ww2, first is Vietnam and second is a zombie killing game that is coop and really fun with friends
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 07:23:46 PM »
Anyone play Arma 3?  There is also Squad?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
If you are not hunting specifically for a WW2 themed FPS that is face paced, svaalbar has pointed out a solid one: Killing Floor 2.

4 Difficulty settings:  Normal: Slow paced, very easy going;  Hard: Things kick up a little, can still mess around;  Suicidal:  Ramps up a bit, messing around not advised;  Hell on Earth:  You'll see why they call it that. :devil  Length of a match determines how many waves, how many zeds are in each, and when you encounter powerful ones; it doesn't necessarily mean how long each wave is.  Short is 4, Normal is 7, and Long is 10.  The number of zeds and their health increases based on how many are in the match as well, similar to Diablo 2 if you have ever played that game online.  Note: It's very bloody and gore-y, though I would not think you will have an issue with this, I have to point it out.  Look up a couple of youtube video's, recent ones mind you, of Killing Floor 2 and make your choice from there.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »
Another game I could suggest is Deep Rock Galactic.  It's not as fast pace as others listed, but can get very hectic very fast.  It's a Co-Op based game where you and up-to 3 others will carry out various primary tasks, such as mining minerals to eliminating Dreadnoughts, as badass Space Dwarves.  :D

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/256783673/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1588226844

https://store.steampowered.com/app/548430/Deep_Rock_Galactic/

Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 09:03:51 PM »
Anyone play Arma 3?  There is also Squad?

some of the pigs play that game.  I have never tried it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »
Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Yeah, right now we are looking at the WW2 genre. My son and his friends are already playing Call of Duty in it's various iterations. We'll start with that but I'm saving these other titles to check out later.

I'm pretty interested to see how this goes. I just brought home a Dell S3220DGF monitor. VERY nice. Easily the best I've ever had. It's hooked to my old MacBook at the moment. Just wanted to see how it looked.

Tomorrow Dell delivers my new laptop. Haven't upgraded a computer around here for about 7-8 years. I still do as little work on the road, so I went with a gaming laptop.
Dell Gaming G5 15, Processor is 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (12MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 6 cores), NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 with Max-Q Design, 16GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x8G, 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive. What can I say; it had to be a laptop and Dell took $250 off. Was about $1350; seemed like a reasonably fast laptop for the money.

I'll probably give AH another try but last time I was in the action was pretty slow for a fighter guy. I will definitely give the War Online Pacific a shot as it's all about the fight, right?

Then the WW2 shooter(s); some old AH squaddies are going to join in as well as my son and his friends.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 01:00:14 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Yeah, right now we are looking at the WW2 genre. My son and his friends are already playing Call of Duty in it's various iterations. We'll start with that but I'm saving these other titles to check out later.

I'm pretty interested to see how this goes. I just brought home a Dell S3220DGF monitor. VERY nice. Easily the best I've ever had. It's hooked to my old MacBook at the moment. Just wanted to see how it looked.

Tomorrow Dell delivers my new laptop. Haven't upgraded a computer around here for about 7-8 years. I still do as little work on the road, so I went with a gaming laptop.
Dell Gaming G5 15, Processor is 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (12MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 6 cores), NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 with Max-Q Design, 16GB DDR4-2933MHz, 2x8G, 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive. What can I say; it had to be a laptop and Dell took $250 off. Was about $1350; seemed like a reasonably fast laptop for the money.

I'll probably give AH another try but last time I was in the action was pretty slow for a fighter guy. I will definitely give the War Online Pacific a shot as it's all about the fight, right?

Then the WW2 shooter(s); some old AH squaddies are going to join in as well as my son and his friends.

Well, I can highly recommend Deep Rock Galactic as an alternative start. :D  A bit of a tip if you decide to give it a go, trigger discipline, especially on the higher difficulty levels.  While you'll be fine on Haz1-3, but on Haz 4 and especially Haz 5, you want to make your shots count since you are limited with not only the ammunition you start with, but what you can call down later on in the cave.  Nitra, the material you need to mine and is used to call down supply pods, can at times be quite scarce; and you need 80 to call down a pod.  So prioritize Nitra as much as your primary objective, as it will make the difference between succeeding and failing.  Make it a habit early to find and mine Nitra, so that when you eventually go into Haz 4 and Haz 5, it will be "second nature", so to speak. :aok
HiTech