Author Topic: Any idea about this light aircraft rudder?  (Read 480 times)

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
Any idea about this light aircraft rudder?
« on: July 25, 2020, 07:20:10 PM »
I purchased some aircraft parts at an auction on Friday. I hang old airplane parts in my garage.  I know the burgundy rudder came from a 1941 Stinson A10. I am trying to figure out what aircraft the blue and silver rudder came from.  It is 58 inches tall, and seems narrower than a Piper rudder.
Any guesses?

I also purchased a Stinson aileron and the elevators from a Piper J-4. But my best buy of the day, (actually a trade for other parts I bought) was the horizontal stabilizer from a Stearman.

CHEERS! goaly
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Any idea about this light aircraft rudder?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 08:41:32 PM »
My guess is PA-11, but I am not sure.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
Lookup any crashes..... it's needed... I can tell you first hand.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:32:39 PM »
I agree with Perdue maybe a PA11 or a variant? That angle on the bottom and the way it transitions to that squared off piece aft throws it off. I looked at quite a few pictures and couldn't come up with anything exactly like that.

The angled & squared off piece is something you might see on Modified Cubs w/ High STOL kits, Big Tundra tires etc. With only 3 Stringers, I don't think it can be anything much bigger.

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 04:58:38 AM »

I’ve noticed that the steering horn on Piper rudders is about 4 inches from the bottom. The horn on this rudder is at the very bottom.
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.